09/24/14 09:45 AM
09/24/14 09:45 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
I was talking with a local big time racer(a Mopar guy) and he told me I need to keep an eye on my cylinder bore. He said that it use to be with the KB blocks, that when you had a 4.500 bore, they had a hard time keeping them round if you were putting any kind of good HP to them. He wasn't sure if they got that problem figured out yet.
Has anyone heard the same thing? Has it been fixed yet? Or has anyone had that problem?

Greg

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Cost is irrelevant, making memories is far more valuable!biggrin
Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676418
09/24/14 11:04 AM
09/24/14 11:04 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

I was talking with a local big time racer(a Mopar guy) and he told me I need to keep an eye on my cylinder bore. He said that it use to be with the KB blocks, that when you had a 4.500 bore, they had a hard time keeping them round if you were putting any kind of good HP to them. He wasn't sure if they got that problem figured out yet.
Has anyone heard the same thing? Has it been fixed yet? Or has anyone had that problem?

That depends on the OD of the sleeve, and it could be a problem with any aluminum block, not just KB. If you have a KB block, find the number on the oil pump mounting surface and call them. They can tell you everything about it.

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676419
09/24/14 11:23 AM
09/24/14 11:23 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

That depends on the OD of the sleeve, and it could be a problem with any aluminum block, not just KB. If you have a KB block, find the number on the oil pump mounting surface and call them. They can tell you everything about it.

Its brand new. I just got it. I just found out this info from talking to this guy two days after I got my block.

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676420
09/24/14 11:27 AM
09/24/14 11:27 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Its brand new. I just got it. I just found out this info from talking to this guy two days after I got my block.

Don't listen to everything you hear, is my advise. And how are you going to "keep an eye on it"?

Re: KB block question........ [Re: Challenger 1] #1676421
09/24/14 11:41 AM
09/24/14 11:41 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Don't listen to everything you hear, is my advise. And how are you going to "keep an eye on it"?

I'm not sure. Do lots of leak downs I guess. I'll tear it down after every season any ways. Hopefully its stays ok between the tear downs

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: Challenger 1] #1676422
09/24/14 11:44 AM
09/24/14 11:44 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City

There are 2 sleeves they furnish that are different sizes for different bores. One is 4.650 and would have a problem at 4.500. But if you told them you were going to bore to 4.500, they would have used the larger 4.720 sleeve, and those will go to 4.530 or even 4.560, if you feel lucky.

What Challenger said, don't listen to people that probably heard something from somebody else. Call KB to be sure. They know what they're doing.

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676423
09/24/14 11:59 AM
09/24/14 11:59 AM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

There are 2 sleeves they furnish that are different sizes for different bores. One is 4.650 and would have a problem at 4.500. But if you told them you were going to bore to 4.500, they would have used the larger 4.720 sleeve, and those will go to 4.530 or even 4.560, if you feel lucky.

What Challenger said, don't listen to people that probably heard something from somebody else. Call KB to be sure. They know what they're doing.

I had them finish bore and hone the block to 4.5000
That's the reason for this post. This person has always given me sound advise. And he did say that maybe they have things figured out now.
So I wanted to run it past all you guys too. See if anyone had ran into the same thing.

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676424
09/24/14 12:09 PM
09/24/14 12:09 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Quote:

^^^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^^^^
As far as I know, ALL aluminum blocks move a bit. Some are horrible. That is one reason why you never hear a pro stock guy crying for an aluminum block (another is they don't want the front any lighter than it already is). CamasTC is correct. The thinner the liner, the worse it CAN be. Also, how the cylinder bore is designed/made has an effect. Had a block that we bored the cylinders out and ordered custom O.D. sleeves to try and correct it. Worked about 5-7 runs and they were out of round again. Aluminum grows faster with heat input than C.I. So as you run, the liners almost "float" in the bores. And then, as the block cools down, the aluminum tends to shrink more than the C.I. sleeves. And naturally, they don't shrink and grow the same every time. So you get cylinder bore distortion (sometime even 4th order) and there really is little you can do about it.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Re: KB block question........ [Re: madscientist] #1676425
09/24/14 12:39 PM
09/24/14 12:39 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Thank you for you're reply. That makes me feel a little better that it's not just a KB block issue.
I don't mean to ask a dumb question but, could you explain the
"(sometime even 4th order)" part of your reply?

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676426
09/24/14 01:02 PM
09/24/14 01:02 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well if you really wanna be paranoid measure your bores now and then wait until this winter and do it again..

As for what the long time expert said. Well like already pointed out. But there is certainly some truth to the bores changing, but all that takes is some temperature. It is just physics..

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: KB block question........ [Re: Al_Alguire] #1676427
09/24/14 01:11 PM
09/24/14 01:11 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Well if you really wanna be paranoid measure your bores now and then wait until this winter and do it again..

As for what the long time expert said. Well like already pointed out. But there is certainly some truth to the bores changing, but all that takes is some temperature. It is just physics..

Hi Al! Love hearing from you!
Whats been your experience with the different aluminum blocks?

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676428
09/24/14 01:15 PM
09/24/14 01:15 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
AS stated they all "move" around a bit. I don't like starting them cold for sure, as in ambient below 45 or so for this reason. And it is not just Mopar stuff we did a 555 BBC for a buddy and that Dart block was no different. Gets crazy seeing no vacuum in a motor at first fire until it has some heat. For instance my valve lash that cold is pretty much non existent.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: KB block question........ [Re: Al_Alguire] #1676429
09/24/14 01:21 PM
09/24/14 01:21 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
That sure makes it interesting here in Idaho, that's for sure. With aluminum blocks here, a block heater of some sort is a must!

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676430
09/24/14 01:48 PM
09/24/14 01:48 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

That sure makes it interesting here in Idaho, that's for sure. With aluminum blocks here, a block heater of some sort is a must!

I'm in Utah, and we have below zero days. I always warm mine with a block heater before start up if it's under 50 degrees. I also won't bring the RPM's up past 1800 until the oil has warmed to 100 degrees. I wouldn't be concerned about the roundness of the bore, it will just scare you. My motors usually leak down at 0-2% once they take a set. I use zero gap rings also.

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676431
09/24/14 02:00 PM
09/24/14 02:00 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

I'm in Utah, and we have below zero days. I always warm mine with a block heater before start up if it's under 50 degrees. I also won't bring the RPM's up past 1800 until the oil has warmed to 100 degrees. I wouldn't be concerned about the roundness of the bore, it will just scare you. My motors usually leak down at 0-2% once they take a set. I use zero gap rings also.

Do you ever come over to Boise to race?
What kind of block heater do you prefer?

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676432
09/24/14 02:06 PM
09/24/14 02:06 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like the Steff's in pan, weld in heater. I had my oil filter come off in Woodburn, and it blackened a few bearings, so I never made it.

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676433
09/24/14 02:31 PM
09/24/14 02:31 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I like the Steff's in pan, weld in heater. I had my oil filter come off in Woodburn, and it blackened a few bearings, so I never made it.

Crap!
I got to meet Dustin last time he came here. He kicked everyone's butt here
When Al came here I hadn't met him on here yet. You'll have to let me know when you come over here. It's nice to put a face to text

If you don't mind me asking, what kind of oil filter?

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: 1320Dart] #1676434
09/24/14 02:33 PM
09/24/14 02:33 PM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Crap!
When Al came here I hadn't met him on here yet. You'll have to let me know when you come over here. It's nice to put a face to text

System one

Re: KB block question........ [Re: camastomcat] #1676435
09/24/14 02:39 PM
09/24/14 02:39 PM
Idaho
1320Dart Offline OP
mopar
1320Dart  Offline OP
mopar

Idaho
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Crap!

System one

Did the screw on bottom blow off?

Greg

Re: KB block question........ [Re: Al_Alguire] #1676436
09/24/14 02:44 PM
09/24/14 02:44 PM
Washington
M
madscientist Offline
master
madscientist  Offline
master
M

Washington
Quote:

Ouch! Sounds like the F'ing new guy can't say much without getting bashed.
Sorry if I offended the regulars around here.

Just because you think it won't make it true. Horsepower is KING. To dispute this is stupid. C. Alston
Page 1 of 2 1 2