09/21/14 09:47 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Quote:

Jim I think some of this stuff is way over thought.I can tell these guys never worked in a garage at flat rate.Zip them in with your impact.Just dont go wild doing it.That was on daily drivers that saw more miles in a month than most of these will see in 2 years. Rocky

I've put literally 1000's of these together on daily driver cars of all types. I can't remember torquing many with a wrench. Zip them on,pop the cotter in and go. If the castle nut don't line up I'd be looking at the nut more than anything.....doubt you could stretch a hardened stud at 80 ft lbs.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: Dcuda69] #1674651
09/22/14 12:18 AM
09/22/14 12:18 AM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
master
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
master

God's Country Maryland
There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail. Plus, these are most likely parts made in China, do you really want to trust your families lives or other motorist lives on a sub-standard Chinese part? My son worked at a bolt supply store and would get cases of grade 8 bolts in and find many with the heads popped off the bolts. They had to sort through them to remove the bad bolts before putting them out for sale. They were told to never tell the public about this process.

I love the smell of Deer guts in the morning, it smells like... VICTORY!
Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: therocks] #1674652
09/22/14 12:29 AM
09/22/14 12:29 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Jim I think some of this stuff is way over thought.I can tell these guys never worked in a garage at flat rate.Zip them in with your impact.Just dont go wild doing it.That was on daily drivers that saw more miles in a month than most of these will see in 2 years. Rocky

Seriously ??

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #1674653
09/22/14 12:31 AM
09/22/14 12:31 AM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail. Plus, these are most likely parts made in China, do you really want to trust your families lives or other motorist lives on a sub-standard Chinese part? My son worked at a bolt supply store and would get cases of grade 8 bolts in and find many with the heads popped off the bolts. They had to sort through them to remove the bad bolts before putting them out for sale. They were told to never tell the public about this process.

You're wasting your breath , only flat rate monkeys have a clue how anything can be put together .

I've had to fix more stuff screwed up by someone trying to make 16hrs of pay in an 8 hour day ...

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: JohnRR] #1674654
09/22/14 12:34 AM
09/22/14 12:34 AM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Quote:

Seriously ??

A flat rate garage sending out something that might cause a problem??? Tell me it isn't so

MY

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: TJP] #1674655
09/22/14 01:28 AM
09/22/14 01:28 AM
Rittman Ohio
fourgearsavoy Offline
I Live Here
fourgearsavoy  Offline
I Live Here

Rittman Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Seriously ??

A flat rate garage sending out something that might cause a problem??? Tell me it isn't so

MY

Obviously you guys have never worked in a dealership where your flat rate work has to be impeccable or it costs you money. If you scratch a panel, break a bolt, or misdiagnosis a car it costs you money out of your paycheck. I average about 75 hours in a 44 hour week because I take my time and make sure all the cars are perfect before they leave.
To the original post you did not stretch the threads so far that the cotter pin won't go in. As stated before there are different nuts and some of the quality control with these components produced today is very disappointing. I put tie rods on an older Yota pickup last week and there were 2 different tie rod ends in identical boxes, the nuts were different as well.
I would just get another one and sleep easier knowing it was done right.
Gus

64 Plymouth Savoy
493 Indy EZ's by Nick at Compu-Flow
5-Speed Richmond faceplate Liberty box
Dana 60
Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #1674656
09/22/14 04:11 AM
09/22/14 04:11 AM
Phoenix - surface of the sun
nomore65BelvJim Offline
I Live Here
nomore65BelvJim  Offline
I Live Here

Phoenix - surface of the sun
Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail.

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller tapered hole?
Its the incorrect castle nut for this application. Thats the reason the cotter pin hole is above the castellations. I have seen it before and the new part (sometimes) came with a washer and (sometimes) an explanation.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: JohnRR] #1674657
09/22/14 10:43 AM
09/22/14 10:43 AM
Delaware
G
GeorgeH Offline
GeorgeH  Offline
G

Delaware
You're wasting your breath , only flat rate monkeys have a clue how anything can be put together .

I've had to fix more stuff screwed up by someone trying to make 16hrs of pay in an 8 hour day ...

X2 Your right and these guys saying to slam it together and get it out the door just bring the whole industry down. No clue or care about liability.

It might even have been the right box with wrong part in it with the wrong taper as the Op is only talking about one of the ones he purchased. It needs investigated.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: nomore65BelvJim] #1674658
09/22/14 12:02 PM
09/22/14 12:02 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Jim and Gus you wont change their minds.Especially John.He is the expert in every field and has done tens of thousands.We had quality surveys on everything we did at the shop.We still carried a 98% approval rating.
As for the balls coming out of the sockets yeah they do.Its called wear and being dry also.In 50 years Ive never seen anyone pull a ball out by tighting it.Like I said you guys over think the simple things.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: therocks] #1674659
09/22/14 12:28 PM
09/22/14 12:28 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Jim and Gus you wont change their minds.Especially John.He is the expert in every field and has done tens of thousands.We had quality surveys on everything we did at the shop.We still carried a 98% approval rating.
As for the balls coming out of the sockets yeah they do.Its called wear and being dry also.In 50 years Ive never seen anyone pull a ball out by tighting it.Like I said you guys over think the simple things.Rocky

I never said the ball was coming out of the socket, that was something someone else said.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: nomore65BelvJim] #1674660
09/22/14 01:21 PM
09/22/14 01:21 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
master
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
master

God's Country Maryland
Quote:

Quote:

There's got to be a reason the castle nut if too far below the cotter pin hole. Either he stretched the shank or the ball is pulling from the socket. Don't tell me the ball won't come out of the socket, that's exactly what happens when they fail.

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller
tapered hole?
Its the incorrect castle nut for this application. Thats the reason the cotter pin hole is above the castellations. I have seen it before and the new part (sometimes) came with a washer and (sometimes) an explanation.

You can't? Then why was my '08 Cummins Ram just recalled for tie-rod end failures? It seems the housings are cracking allowing the ball to come out of the joint. Dakotas had this same problem a few years ago. When the housing cracks there's not much to keep the ball in the joint, It's coming out! Wear alone isn't the only thing that lets the joint come apart, housing failures will let it happen, that's the reason they're recalled.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GeorgeH] #1674661
09/22/14 01:25 PM
09/22/14 01:25 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Your right and these guys saying to slam it together and get it out the door just bring the whole industry down. No clue or care about liability.

It might even have been the right box with wrong part in it with the wrong taper as the Op is only talking about one of the ones he purchased. It needs investigated.

Well said

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #1674662
09/22/14 01:55 PM
09/22/14 01:55 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

You can not pull the tapered stud through the tapered hole. It will snap off long before that happens and 70-80 ft/lbs is not going to do that. As for pulling the ball from the socket, that doesnt even make sense as an explanation of what is or isnt happening. Do you think the ball itself is being pulled through the much smaller
tapered hole?

You can't? Then why was my '08 Cummins Ram just recalled for tie-rod end failures? It seems the housings are cracking allowing the ball to come out of the joint. Dakotas had this same problem a few years ago. When the housing cracks there's not much to keep the ball in the joint, It's coming out! Wear alone isn't the only thing that lets the joint come apart, housing failures will let it happen, that's the reason they're recalled.

Not even the same thing. You can't pull the ball out of the socket by tightening the nut. Mainly because you aren't putting any kind of pressure on the socket at all. The tapered shaft will only go so far into the drag link. Yes the socket can break from wear but not by over tightening the nut during installation which is what we are discussing here. Stick to the original subject.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: stumpy] #1674663
09/22/14 02:00 PM
09/22/14 02:00 PM
md
M
mopars4ever Offline
I Live Here
mopars4ever  Offline
I Live Here
M

md
To answer the question. Do you want to take a chance on it or not? It`s up to you. For me I wouldn`t. Some people like the odds but I don`t. Of course I`m the kind of person that gets new tires before they are completely bald and blow out.

Last edited by mopars4ever; 09/22/14 02:02 PM.
Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: mopars4ever] #1674664
09/22/14 02:29 PM
09/22/14 02:29 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
master
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
master

God's Country Maryland
Maybe you should read this recall notice, enough said.

8277492-DSC08689.JPG (103 downloads)

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #1674665
09/22/14 02:50 PM
09/22/14 02:50 PM
Grand Prairie,Texas
stumpy Offline
I Win
stumpy  Offline
I Win

Grand Prairie,Texas
Where does it say the installation caused the fracture? The problem is statement in the recall explains that under certain driving conditions it could fail. If you take a good look at a picture of an uninstalled Tie rod end you will see what we are talking about when we say tapered shaft that can't pull the ball out of the socket while being tightened. Tightening the shaft puts no pressure on the ball and socket at all. The recall is about the ball and socket separating due to the side force applied while turning and putting pressure on the joint.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: stumpy] #1674666
09/22/14 02:59 PM
09/22/14 02:59 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
therocks  Offline
T

Niles , Ohio
Stumpy it dosent say that.But you will never get the armchair experts to see it.A defect in a part isnt the same as tightening it.Hell to pull a ball out of the socket you would have to destroy the arm and all.Then the top of the stud would snap off first.Its that plain and simple.John I didt say you said that.
Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: therocks] #1674667
09/22/14 04:48 PM
09/22/14 04:48 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
master
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
master

God's Country Maryland
How do you know the shaft was made with the correct diameter or even the correct taper? If that shaft is too small it could definitely pull on the ball before it makes contact with the arm. Castle nuts are designed to have the cotter pin go through the towers, not to let it loosen a couple of turns before it contacts the towers. All I'm saying there's something not right there.
Here's a suggestion, why don't one of you guys buy the tie-rod off the OP and install it on your car? We'll see how many of you are willing to do that.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: GODSCOUNTRY340] #1674668
09/22/14 05:19 PM
09/22/14 05:19 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

GC340, You are wrong but will go to any lengths to avoid admitting it. If the taper was wrong something else would have happened before the 80 lb-ft was reached. Most likely the nut would have run out of threads and it would not have torqued at all, because of no tension in the tapered part holding it from turning.

Important fasteners are usually torqued to 75 - 80% of their yield strength. If the stud torque was determined that way, the 80 lb-ft should have deformed the stud.
If so there will be a necked-down area right between the threads and the beginning of the taper. The OP can check that.

That still doesn't mean that the tie rod end is shot. Plastically deforming the stud actually increases its yield strength to the point it was deformed to. That's what work hardening does. That's why cold-rolled steel is stronger than hot-rolled steel.

This indeed has NOTHING to do with any recall for studs fracturing or otherwise coming apart. It's two different animals.

There are different thickness castle nuts and the wrong nut probably got put on the part during assembly. A real Grade 8 washer should take up the slack.
Or buy the correct castle nut.

It seems like a portion of people live in fear, and are not satisfied until they influence others to live in fear too. That's probably so they have company in their fearful existence.

That's why it is hard to give real answers on this board, answers that are based on fact and not on fear or "I have heard".

Then there are the ones who use China as an excuse for every sort of ignorance or prejudice. It's really easy to use as an excuse or as a way to tear down something or somebody else.

R.

Re: I over torqed my tie rod end...what should I do? [Re: dogdays] #1674669
09/22/14 08:10 PM
09/22/14 08:10 PM
God's Country Maryland
GODSCOUNTRY340 Offline
master
GODSCOUNTRY340  Offline
master

God's Country Maryland
You're all correct, tie-rod ends can't come apart. I guess Chrysler is wrong too. Chrysler just ordered a recall so they can install free parts on customer's cars. They like losing money.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4