09/19/14 09:52 AM
09/19/14 09:52 AM
Chandler, AZ
Duner Offline
top fuel
Duner  Offline
top fuel

Chandler, AZ
I've thoroughly enjoyed my "science project" over the years. It's making 3X the power it was supposed to and still living. If it grenades tomorrow I would have nothing to complain about.

The information that can be gleaned from a site like this is invaluable. Yes, lots of people butt heads because everybody thinks "their way" is best - but everybody means well. Like always when humans are involved, some people get their feelings hurt or their ego's dented and want to puff out their chest to counter it. That's OK too. Everybody can read between the lines when required.

I share both my triumphs and failures - and everybody else is free to spend their own time and money to do the same. If I give advice, it's always based upon my own experiences - but ALL of the advice given on the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Duner] #1673678
09/19/14 10:11 AM
09/19/14 10:11 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
I would like to know what brought up this in the first
place and if it was based on 1 person in particular...
as in me

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: dvw] #1673679
09/19/14 11:19 AM
09/19/14 11:19 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

I build my own. Using what parts I can afford. I take donations, buy used, buy good stuff, and by cheap stuff. Think out a decent combination and go for it. If it breaks or goes slow there is no one to blame but myself. It's worked pretty well.
Doug

We always say build within your financial means, knowledge abilities and with a goal of what you can realisticly achieve.Have a well thought out plan and stick to it.Projects not well planned can blossom into a costly and unatainable project than can completely frustrate you.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1673680
09/19/14 11:34 AM
09/19/14 11:34 AM
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
Quote:

place and if it was based on 1 person in particular..
as in me

Perhaps 6 pak runner had a point. I forgot yo take my meds. Maybe it has to do with me not being able to find a Mopar block and people not wanting to produce them because there is no demand in the Mopar supply world for spending anymore than $3000 for an alright aluminum POS. Maybe it's because it costs so much more than it used to and people are harder and harder to find that even want to work on this stuff. Look at who tries to come on here trying to help and gets a beat down when they do. The number of people that used to be here and have practical knowledge in building these deals that don't visit or comment here anymore is astounding. I used to work with some of these guys and was at one time, even the one that said " how much power will it take"? As an engine builder, there is no right answer. Sometimes we should all take into consideration who we are commenting to with our garage mentality, me included. When the pros that do this every day take the time to help out or ask our opinion about the manufacture of a part, maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a little time to think about a reasonable response? That's what this was about.....prolly.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673681
09/19/14 11:42 AM
09/19/14 11:42 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

Quote:

as in me

Perhaps 6 pak runner had a point. I forgot yo take my meds. Maybe it has to do with me not being able to find a Mopar block and people not wanting to produce them because there is no demand in the Mopar supply world for spending anymore than $3000 for an alright aluminum POS. Maybe it's because it costs so much more than it used to and people are harder and harder to find that even want to work on this stuff. Look at who tries to come on here trying to help and gets a beat down when they do. The number of people that used to be here and have practical knowledge in building these deals that don't visit or comment here anymore is astounding. I used to work with some of these guys and was at one time, even the one that said " how much power will it take"? As an engine builder, there is no right answer. Sometimes we should all take into consideration who we are commenting to with our garage mentality, me included. When the pros that do this every day take the time to help out or ask our opinion about the manufacture of a part, maybe it wouldn't hurt to take a little time to think about a reasonable response? That's what this was about.....prolly.

Well the other day Pete from Best and I had a bit
of a tiff in another post but non related to any engine
stuff... and I wondered if this was related to that

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673682
09/19/14 11:48 AM
09/19/14 11:48 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Quote:

as in me

This is what I don't understand....Why would a 3k block have to be a POS?? Just because of the lack of demand? In my post I was interested in what the demand would be if there was a 3k block.

Here's a question maybe some could answer. What is the cost in R&D and equipment to manufacture one? What if interested parties could crowd fund this project?

5.53 @ 125 1/8th on the launch control..more left in her!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Eric] #1673683
09/19/14 11:51 AM
09/19/14 11:51 AM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Is there more interest in a block like this

http://store.trackerdesigns.com/Merchant...de=BRADANDERSON

or in one for 3k that a Mopar racer might want?

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: B G Racing] #1673684
09/19/14 12:12 PM
09/19/14 12:12 PM
Val-haul-ass... eventually
B
BradH Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
BradH  Offline
Taking time off to work on my car
B

Val-haul-ass... eventually
Quote:

Quote:

I build my own. Using what parts I can afford. I take donations, buy used, buy good stuff, and by cheap stuff. Think out a decent combination and go for it. If it breaks or goes slow there is no one to blame but myself. It's worked pretty well.
Doug

We always say build within your financial means, knowledge abilities and with a goal of what you can realisticly achieve.Have a well thought out plan and stick to it.Projects not well planned can blossom into a costly and unatainable project than can completely frustrate you.

Copied sig I found on some other web site while I was looking for head tech info:

"Don't let your ego write checks that your experience can't cash. It's a hard thing to admit, but it's the truth."

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: BradH] #1673685
09/19/14 12:25 PM
09/19/14 12:25 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
I'm still confused. Is this about the contributing posters, budget shortfalls, parts failures, the Mopar aftermarket, imported goods, the US labor force, the economy, amature builders, or pro engine builders?

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: BradH] #1673686
09/19/14 12:26 PM
09/19/14 12:26 PM
Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...
gregsdart Offline
I Live Here
gregsdart  Offline
I Live Here

Frostbitefalls MN (Rocky&Bullw...

8..603 156 mph best, 2905 lbs 549, indy 572-13, alky
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673687
09/19/14 12:40 PM
09/19/14 12:40 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Quote:

as in me

You can't find a block, so you throw a temper tantrum on moparts ??? And Obviously there must be a demand, because they are SOLD OUT of them !!! Big Blocks, Small Blocks.....sold out ! Helllooooo......

And if you want an Aluminum, from what I see on here, Indy has plenty of them....or order one from KB....

Oh yea, Al Alguire hasn't had a problem getting Iron blocks....HP Performance I think...

And if you can't find anyone that wants to build it for ya, don't know what to say about that perhaps look in the mirror ??

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673688
09/19/14 01:21 PM
09/19/14 01:21 PM
Sunnyvale, CA
Jeepmon Offline
master
Jeepmon  Offline
master

Sunnyvale, CA
Quote:

You can't find a block, so you throw a temper tantrum on moparts ???

Knowing Tom like I do, I wouldnt say its a "temper tantrum? But more like venting... I'm sure everyone is guilty of getting frustrated and needing a place to vent... just like I'm sure you have too..

Which doesnt give you the right to pile on..

What we all should do is be more sympathetic.. pat Tom on the head and say "It'll prolly all work out"

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Jeepmon] #1673689
09/19/14 01:30 PM
warren, mich.
D
dwayne welder Offline
enthusiast
dwayne welder  Offline
enthusiast
D

warren, mich.
Hello All! I talk with Richard Maskins on this very topic a couple years ago. He told me it take's about, 80,000.00 to do design, develop, manufacture the first block!!! And then figure long term cost to sell quantity's to get your return on investment!!!

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673690
Salt Lake City
C
camastomcat Offline OP
top fuel
camastomcat  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Salt Lake City
6 pak bummer

You are the most insignificant lack of contributor on here. You seem to be the type of person doesn't try to accomplish anything, but criticizes anyone that does. If you have no skin in the game, it's easy to take pot shots at those who do. A first class a-hole. Someone that has to tie a bone around your neck to get the dog to play with you.

1. Al is a friend of mine, and I know what he was able to get, a very nice, well built aluminum block.
2. The blocks are out of stock because there was a dispute between the people who machine them, and Mother Mopar.
3. I have no problem getting people to do the work.

At least make an attempt to know what you're talking about. Now I need to go to work on my actual race car.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: dwayne welder] #1673691
09/19/14 01:37 PM
09/19/14 01:37 PM
Pittsburgh PA
Eric Offline
top fuel
Eric  Offline
top fuel

Pittsburgh PA
Quote:

Hello All! I talk with Richard Maskins on this very topic a couple years ago. He told me it take's about, 80,000.00 to do design, develop, manufacture the first block!!! And then figure long term cost to sell quantity's to get your return on investment!!!

Thanks...thats actually pretty close to what I had thought.

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: Jeepmon] #1673692
09/19/14 01:38 PM
09/19/14 01:38 PM
Columbia, CT
M
moper Offline
I Live Here
moper  Offline
I Live Here
M

Columbia, CT
Quote:

Quote:

You can't find a block, so you throw a temper tantrum on moparts ???

Knowing Tom like I do, I wouldnt say its a "temper tantrum? But more like venting... I'm sure everyone is guilty of getting frustrated and needing a place to vent... just like I'm sure you have too..

What we all should do is be more sympathetic.. pat Tom on the head and say "It'll prolly all work out"

AH! That makes more sense then...lol.
Have a sip of something cold Tom...

Well, art is art, isn't it? Still, on the other hand, water is water! And east is east and west is west and if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce they taste much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh... Now you tell me what you know.
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673693
09/19/14 01:49 PM
09/19/14 01:49 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

1. Al is a friend of mine, and I know what he was able to get, a very nice, well built aluminum block.
2. The blocks are out of stock because there was a dispute between the people who machine them, and Mother Mopar.
3. I have no problem getting people to do the work.

At least make an attempt to know what you're talking about. Now I need to go to work on my actual race car.

Make up your mind son.....one post you're blaming moparts because you can't get a block.....then you can't find anyone to work on it.....which one is it ???

Maybe you wouldn't need to find another block if you didn't blow stuff up all the time......from the pictures posted her, there were plenty of guys at Monster Mopar runnin fast.....maybe get some tips from some of those guys....

But that's right...It'll prolly be ok...

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: ] #1673694
09/19/14 01:53 PM
09/19/14 01:53 PM
Rudolph, Ohio
moparguy7074 Offline
top fuel
moparguy7074  Offline
top fuel

Rudolph, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

from the pictures posted her, there were plenty of guys at Monster Mopar runnin fast....

Define fast...

Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: camastomcat] #1673695
09/19/14 02:18 PM
09/19/14 02:18 PM
jacksonville,FLORIDA
slammedR/T Offline
super stock
slammedR/T  Offline
super stock

jacksonville,FLORIDA
Quote:

Quote:

as in me

It is all good bud, we as mopar faithfull get frustrated all the time by the lack of after market support and need to vent to fellow mopar lovers. I can "prolly" understand and offer you a beer one day

2000 Dakota R/T, 408 magnum, 727, Indy heads
1000cfm 4150 carb, 93 octane fuel.
motor; 10.258 @ 132.78
200 shot; 9.262 @ 144.69
racemagnum
Re: Engine builders, you have my sympathy [Re: moparguy7074] #1673696
09/19/14 02:19 PM
09/19/14 02:19 PM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

from the pictures posted her, there were plenty of guys at Monster Mopar runnin fast....

Define fast...

There were a lot of Big Dog door cars at MM running in the 4s(1/8 mile) and many more in the south half of 5s.I guess you would have to consider each car setup for engine size,car weight and if they had power adders,blowers or N/A to define if the were fast or not.You can't compare a 3000# door car to a 1600# dragster but certainly can determine their power levels from the setup and combos and resulting ETs.For a Mopar only race,we take our hats of to those guys and their commitment to the sport,many that do it on a very frugal budget.
We espectally like the t-shirts that were being sold at the event."Spare me all your technological BS,show me your time slip"

Page 2 of 14 1 2 3 4 13 14