Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
I am posting this as maybe it will help the next guy..

My 67 Coronet started to have some problems with the lights ( and electrically) after 2 thousand miles ( couple of years on road) after its restoration.. Changed the VR, new alternator, and even looked into buying a $400 Powermaster alternator. My stock Amp gauge had been converted to a voltmeter.. It was acting like an amp gauge, charging high, showing heavy discharge at night with the lights on at idle.. At night the lights would dim so low you would not think they were on, and the blinkers would not blink.. Car was getting "not fun" to drive..

Felt it was low amps/Mopar alternator problem, but it seemed like the car was fine when first put on the road.. Because of a move this "problem" got older, I was away from the car for almost 2 years, and I just wasn't sure..

I started tracing wires, and while "wiggling" the firewall plugs I noticed the wires on the Relay ( relay below the firewall plugs) were loose on the large stud.. Tightened the nut about 2 turns but have been unable to drive due to rain here..

Drove it last night and what a difference.. Voltmeter does not move, lights are bright ( I can see my dash again) and the blinkers work like they should....

Alot of recommendations on this site always remind every one to check there connections and keep them tight..

Again I hope this helps someone else on here..

Re: FINALLY found electrical problem. [Re: floridian] #1673566
09/18/14 01:01 PM
09/18/14 01:01 PM
Iowa
burdar Offline
Owen's Dad
burdar  Offline
Owen's Dad

Iowa
Glad you found it. Electrical issues are not fun. My Challenger just shut off while on a local car cruise. Talk about embarrassing. It turned out to be a loose ignition "run" wire at the steering column plug.

Re: FINALLY found electrical problem. [Re: burdar] #1673567
09/19/14 09:51 AM
09/19/14 09:51 AM
Lakeland FL
F
floridian Offline OP
pro stock
floridian  Offline OP
pro stock
F

Lakeland FL
Pretty amazing how a "snug" wire affected the entire car.....