09/11/14 02:56 AM
Surface of the Sun, AZ
Hotwheelsjr Offline
I Live Here
Hotwheelsjr  Offline
I Live Here

Surface of the Sun, AZ
Quote:

And another for what it's worth,don't let any sit in an open container,it will give a surface coat of rust to anything within six feet or more and thats a fact !!

Six feet? LOL! I wish it was only six feet. I left a plastic watering can with a smidgen left in the bottom in my garage over night (I had cleaned my driveway with it). The fumes flash rusted EVERY bare piece of metal in my garage, including the entire stripped front clip of my '72 Satty. I had already blasted the trunk floor and front floor pans too...yup, flashed. Pissed me off so bad I haven't touched the Satty in months and I'm now selling it. All that work sand blasting with a Harbor Freight blaster with about an inch wide spread, just to have it all flashed in a single night.

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: kentj340] #1668768
09/11/14 07:14 AM
09/11/14 07:14 AM
Tacoma, Washington USA
A
Adam71Charger Offline OP
pro stock
Adam71Charger  Offline OP
pro stock
A

Tacoma, Washington USA
Quote:

Stay safe and be sane.

Number 1. Using acid to remove dirt, oil, and gunk is poor workmanship and a bad choice of methods. Better to use your wife's dishwasher with hot water and strong ammonia-containing soap or some other effective cleaning method.

Number 2. Insert only clean objects free of dirt, oil, and rust scale in a de-rusting chemical to preserve the strength and effectiveness of the chemical. It's a waste of the chemical to dissolve rust scale and cut oils that could have been easily removed.

Number 3. If you are trying to restore a piece of metal, generally speaking HCl is overkill and way too corrosive and unsafe. If the piece being restored has spot welds, HCl left in the cracks can keep on corroding and pop the welds. Something a lot less potent, such as vinegar or Evapo-Rust will get the job done effectively and safely. Yes, one of these is not cheap, but if you use good workmanship and follow Number 2 above, you won't waste it.

Number 4. Remove any object from any rust removing chemical immediately as soon as de-rusting is accomplished.

1. It's not a bad method. It's just a method.
2. The whole point of the acid bath was to remove dirt oil and rust.
3. Driving a car is unsafe. Having sex is unsafe. Flying in a plane is unsafe. playing football is unsafe. All one can do is to be as safe as possible doing any of these things, and it's no different when using chemicals to clean metal, wood, or anything else. Also, the parts Im dipping have no welds.
4. Agreed.

From now on I will be neutralizing my acid when finished. I dont mind disposing of it at the dump's hazardous chemical hut. But there is also a free oil dump at one of the local parts stores. In this oil dump, you can dispose used motor oil that is full of carcinogens, metals, dirt and water.

If I neutralize the acid bath after use, it too should contain dirt, oil, water and bits of metal right? So shouldn't this qualify as acceptable to dump in the used oil dump at the parts store?

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Adam71Charger] #1668769
09/11/14 12:15 PM
09/11/14 12:15 PM
N
Nuclear1 Offline
pro stock
Nuclear1  Offline
pro stock
N

Quote:

If I neutralize the acid bath after use, it too should contain dirt, oil, water and bits of metal right? So shouldn't this qualify as acceptable to dump in the used oil dump at the parts store?

No. The metals/metal oxides and dirt is not the problem. (It would also contain salts, but again they would not be a problem either.) The reason why is because it only contains a small amount of oil (hydrocarbons) and a lot of water in the solution. As we all learned in grade school science classes, oil and water will not mix, they separate into layers given enough time (unless acted upon by detergents, which interacts with both layers). Where the layers sit depends upon the densities of the materials. Recycling companies do not want to mess with used oil that has been contaminated with large quantities of water and not properly separated. If you separated (ie. decanted off) the oil layers from the cleaning process and disposed of them in the used oil recycling container, that is fine. But, you cannot just dump all of the aqueous solution in there as well. You will become liable for the disposal costs if you do so. Open your wallet wide if that happens....

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: BSB67] #1668770
09/11/14 12:43 PM
09/11/14 12:43 PM
N
Nuclear1 Offline
pro stock
Nuclear1  Offline
pro stock
N

Quote:

Now HF will kill you. It is both a strong acid and very very toxic, and will absorb into the body on contact through your skin. H2SO4 can also be considerably more dangerous than HCl, depending on concentration.

I'm all for doing the right thing, but today's hysteria over everything being toxic is simply mis-information. In our 5 second sound bit society, we don't even bother with the details of science.

HF (hydrofluoric acid) is actually a weak acid (pKa = 6.8X10^-4), but it can etch (ie. digest) glass. [The larger the pKa value, the more it will ionize in water which leads to its acid strength via the formation of the hydronium ion, H3O+(aq).] Hydrofluoric acid is used as such in glass/mirror shops, although they tend to favor the active paste salts in usage. H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) is stronger than HF because it can ionize in solution to approximately 100% ions. So, each molecule of H2SO4 generates 2 molecules of hydronium ions in water. HNO3 (nitric acid) can also ionize 100%, as well as the dreaded HClO4 (perchloric acid). I do not handle perchloric acid unless I absolutely have to, as it can eat flesh to the bone (even after flushing with copious amounts of water) unless neutralized with the right base. It also forms explosive metal perchlorate salts upon contact with nearby metal surfaces. Only those who are properly trained in safely handling such materials should be using said materials in the first place....

Yes, chemicals tend to get a bad reputation in the media. One thing I teach in my chemistry classes is that there are no "bad" chemicals. It all depends on how they are being used and why. The key to the message is to not fear chemicals (as the media would like), but to respect what they can do by learning about them....

If you do not know how to handle a certain chemical, it is better to leave it to the professionals who do....

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Adam71Charger] #1668771
09/11/14 02:40 PM
09/11/14 02:40 PM
Omaha, Nebraska
Scott Carl Offline
pro stock
Scott Carl  Offline
pro stock

Omaha, Nebraska
Quote:

Quote:

Stay safe and be sane.

Number 1. Using acid to remove dirt, oil, and gunk is poor workmanship and a bad choice of methods. Better to use your wife's dishwasher with hot water and strong ammonia-containing soap or some other effective cleaning method.

Number 2. Insert only clean objects free of dirt, oil, and rust scale in a de-rusting chemical to preserve the strength and effectiveness of the chemical. It's a waste of the chemical to dissolve rust scale and cut oils that could have been easily removed.

Number 3. If you are trying to restore a piece of metal, generally speaking HCl is overkill and way too corrosive and unsafe. If the piece being restored has spot welds, HCl left in the cracks can keep on corroding and pop the welds. Something a lot less potent, such as vinegar or Evapo-Rust will get the job done effectively and safely. Yes, one of these is not cheap, but if you use good workmanship and follow Number 2 above, you won't waste it.

Number 4. Remove any object from any rust removing chemical immediately as soon as de-rusting is accomplished.

2. The whole point of the acid bath was to remove dirt oil and rust.
3. Driving a car is unsafe. Having sex is unsafe. Flying in a plane is unsafe. playing football is unsafe. All one can do is to be as safe as possible doing any of these things, and it's no different when using chemicals to clean metal, wood, or anything else. Also, the parts Im dipping have no welds.
4. Agreed.

From now on I will be neutralizing my acid when finished. I dont mind disposing of it at the dump's hazardous chemical hut. But there is also a free oil dump at one of the local parts stores. In this oil dump, you can dispose used motor oil that is full of carcinogens, metals, dirt and water.

Bold text: Your not doing it right

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Adam71Charger] #1668772
09/12/14 02:37 AM
09/12/14 02:37 AM
Cut and Shoot, TX
kentj340 Offline
top fuel
kentj340  Offline
top fuel

Cut and Shoot, TX
Quote:

Number 1. Using acid to remove dirt, oil, and gunk is poor workmanship and a bad choice of methods.

Like Grandma's lye soap, heavy duty soaps tend to be alkaline, the opposite of an acid. Never heard of any acid soap.

Maybe there's a reason for that, but I'm not a chemist.

If you don't see two dolphins, you need a vacation.
Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Nuclear1] #1668773
09/12/14 07:05 AM
09/12/14 07:05 AM
Southern by Choice
S
Shoozy Offline
I have a foot fetish
Shoozy  Offline
I have a foot fetish
S

Southern by Choice
Quote:

Quote:

Now HF will kill you. It is both a strong acid and very very toxic, and will absorb into the body on contact through your skin. H2SO4 can also be considerably more dangerous than HCl, depending on concentration.

I'm all for doing the right thing, but today's hysteria over everything being toxic is simply mis-information. In our 5 second sound bit society, we don't even bother with the details of science.

HF (hydrofluoric acid) is actually a weak acid (pKa = 6.8X10^-4), but it can etch (ie. digest) glass. [The larger the pKa value, the more it will ionize in water which leads to its acid strength via the formation of the hydronium ion, H3O+(aq).] Hydrofluoric acid is used as such in glass/mirror shops, although they tend to favor the active paste salts in usage. H2SO4 (sulfuric acid) is stronger than HF because it can ionize in solution to approximately 100% ions. So, each molecule of H2SO4 generates 2 molecules of hydronium ions in water. HNO3 (nitric acid) can also ionize 100%, as well as the dreaded HClO4 (perchloric acid). I do not handle perchloric acid unless I absolutely have to, as it can eat flesh to the bone (even after flushing with copious amounts of water) unless neutralized with the right base. It also forms explosive metal perchlorate salts upon contact with nearby metal surfaces. Only those who are properly trained in safely handling such materials should be using said materials in the first place....

Yes, chemicals tend to get a bad reputation in the media. One thing I teach in my chemistry classes is that there are no "bad" chemicals. It all depends on how they are being used and why. The key to the message is to not fear chemicals (as the media would like), but to respect what they can do by learning about them....

If you do not know how to handle a certain chemical, it is better to leave it to the professionals who do....

Nuke 1, I'm certainly not a chemistry teacher but I have worked with these things daily for 38 years. To say that HF acid is weak may be misleading to those reading this. It is the most dangerous to humans of any listed here so far (nitric is close), such that even our drivers have to carry calcium gluconate to transport factory sealed drums of it. Exposure without treatment can lead to death within 24 hours or so. So perhaps "weak" as in ability to eat things but "lethal" as in human contact might be a better description? Again, not trying to split hairs here, just trying as always to keep members from getting hurt or worse.

Old, tired, and sometimes broke down. Me, not my car...
Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Shoozy] #1668774
09/12/14 09:04 AM
09/12/14 09:04 AM
St Charles MO
70Coronet500Vert Offline
master
70Coronet500Vert  Offline
master

St Charles MO
Quote:

Quote:

Nuke 1, I'm certainly not a chemistry teacher but I have worked with these things daily for 38 years. To say that HF acid is weak may be misleading to those reading this. It is the most dangerous to humans of any listed here so far (nitric is close), such that even our drivers have to carry calcium gluconate to transport factory sealed drums of it. Exposure without treatment can lead to death within 24 hours or so. So perhaps "weak" as in ability to eat things but "lethal" as in human contact might be a better description? Again, not trying to split hairs here, just trying as always to keep members from getting hurt or worse.

HF is one of those fascinating albeit terrifying chemicals. You spill it on you, treat it immediately by flushing, think OK, it's not burning. Yet, up to 8 hrs later, you may start burning, blistering, getting your lungs full of water, muscle spasms, even death when untreated. It does not stop reacting. And you brush your teeth with Fluoride!

No matter how responsible he may seem, never give your gun to a monkey!
1970 Coronet Vert
1972 Charger
1974 Satellite Sebring Plus Sundance
2001 Ram 4x4
2002 Intrepid
2006 300C
Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Shoozy] #1668775
09/12/14 11:55 PM
09/12/14 11:55 PM
N
Nuclear1 Offline
pro stock
Nuclear1  Offline
pro stock
N

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply, I have been tied up all day with a outcomes meeting for chemistry coursework. You are absolutely correct that HF is dangerous to handle and I thank you for pointing that out on here. I do not want someone thinking that they can substitute HF for HCl in an acid bath without serious consequences....

What I was implying in my above post was that HF is a weakly ionizing acid in water compared to other acids, not that it is not dangerous to humans upon contact. I should have worded it better in the above post. (Chemists measure acid strength by how much the acid can form ions in solution: pKa disassociation values listed in tables from measurements. HCl is stronger in acid strength than HF in this manner. That does not mean that HF is less harmful than HCl though, even in diluted forms.) HF can remove the calcium from bones over time upon contact with flesh if not treated quickly enough. In comparison with perchloric acid, HF and HClO4 are both deadly if used wrong, but HClO4 can also explode when it comes into contact with many other commonly found chemicals. It can form explosive vapors if the bottle is not sealed properly in storage if not sequestered in a separate acid cabinet made only for HClO4 (can not be made of wood). On the old diamond scale found on many MSDS, HClO4 had a reactivity rating of a 3 (severe), while HF only had a 1 (minor) because of this issue. Both had a rating of 3 or higher on health, depending upon the purity of the solution tested, meaning that they need to be respected for what they can do. Either one of those acids is better left to trained professionals....

Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: Nuclear1] #1668776
09/13/14 11:54 AM
09/13/14 11:54 AM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
It's so much easier to use electrolysis.

Have a battery charger?
Have a piece of scrap metal?

Grab a tub and some washing soda. Plug it in and make it work.

Just don't use stainless steel as an anode.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: muriatic acid bath! [Re: feets] #1668777
09/13/14 01:21 PM
09/13/14 01:21 PM
fredericksburg,va
C
cudaman1969 Offline
master
cudaman1969  Offline
master
C

fredericksburg,va
Quote:

It's so much easier to use electrolysis.

Have a battery charger?
Have a piece of scrap metal?

Grab a tub and some washing soda. Plug it in and make it work.

Just don't use stainless steel as an anode.

I was thinking about using that process but not sure it would work on the inside of my frame rail being that its closed except on the ends with bulkheads in the middle.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4