09/01/14 02:36 PM
09/01/14 02:36 PM
Detroit, MI
F
FC7AARcuda Offline OP
FC7AARcuda  Offline OP
F

Detroit, MI
I am getting ready to dye a set of door panels for my cuda (original black panels to burnt orange). I'm using the plastic and vinyl dye from Herb's. I've tried cleaning the panels multiple times as follows:

Dawn Dish Soap (Twice)
TSP (Twice)
Wax & Grease Remover
Acetone
Brake Cleaner (got frustrated)

After all this, the water still beads on the top of the panels (back of panels does not bead)so I know they are still not ready for dye. Any recommendations? Anyone used SEM soap and Plastic Prep?

Re: Best way to clean door panels for a color change [Re: FC7AARcuda] #1666214
09/01/14 02:53 PM
09/01/14 02:53 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Polypropylene/Polyethylene plastics (E-body door panels) will always bead water even when clean, it's a "waxy" material that is extremely chemical and water resistant. If you want the best bond you will want a mechanical bond (basically etching the surface so the paint/dye will have something to grip to). media blasting or roughing it up with a scotchbrite pad can work in this case. Keep in mind, if you have a nice/mint set of panels and plan on doing this, there's no going back once you texture them.

Re: Best way to clean door panels for a color change [Re: FC7AARcuda] #1666215
09/01/14 03:00 PM
09/01/14 03:00 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
When I dye any interior pcs all I use is lacquer thinner, I wipe down the entire panel let it dry/evaporate, wipe it again, and again, and again, until the panel actually "bleaches" out, black will turn grayish, E body panels are rather pebbly/grainy, so you need to saturate the panel, but give the lacquer time to evaporate and the plastic time to "harden", as lacquer thinner softens it....no adhesive dye prep, just a light tack coat of the spray dye (I'd spray it from a gun personally for best results)let it set up then just a few medium coats until coverage is achieved, too heavy and failure is in your future, I'd also spray a coat of low lustre clear dye over it, helps with cleaning and color retention down the road...

FYI...the only place for brake fluid is the master cylinder

Mike