B
BobR Offline
master
BobR  Offline
master
B

Left Coast
Quote:

or show/have Pro Mod instead of Pro Stock Bikes.

WINNER!

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1659988
08/18/14 03:06 PM
08/18/14 03:06 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

ESPN SUCKS!*!

NHRA needs to find someone else to pay their $$$ to air NHRA Drag Racing even if it means poorer coverage because they are not the High & Mighty ESPN!I had rather see the whole race live on Sunday even if it takes an extra hour or two due to oil downs even with poorer coverage as long as it starts on time.

PS ESPN SUCKS

Never gonna happen. It is a real yawner when you are AT an event, with the oildowns and track equipment dragging after every pair of fuel cars. No way people are going to watch that LIVE on TV. I LIKE racing and I wouldn't watch that either. Too many other things to watch or go out and do. Some still don't understand how small the NHRA market share is. No way, no how, will they EVER pre-empt a LIVE event with a tape delayed one.......not going to happen and I can't believe guys still complain about this every time it happens.

Monte

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: Quicktree] #1659989
08/18/14 03:13 PM
08/18/14 03:13 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

who cares , get over it. not going to change.

Yep, and be thankful there's any coverage at all. Many here remember when there was none.

Once again, a DVR takes care of any timing discrepancies and allows you to FF through the "talking head" interviews, commercials, etc.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: Monte_Smith] #1659990
08/18/14 04:13 PM
08/18/14 04:13 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

ESPN SUCKS!*!

NHRA needs to find someone else to pay their $$$ to air NHRA Drag Racing even if it means poorer coverage because they are not the High & Mighty ESPN!I had rather see the whole race live on Sunday even if it takes an extra hour or two due to oil downs even with poorer coverage as long as it starts on time.

PS ESPN SUCKS

Never gonna happen. It is a real yawner when you are AT an event, with the oildowns and track equipment dragging after every pair of fuel cars. No way people are going to watch that LIVE on TV. I LIKE racing and I wouldn't watch that either. Too many other things to watch or go out and do. Some still don't understand how small the NHRA market share is. No way, no how, will they EVER pre-empt a LIVE event with a tape delayed one.......not going to happen and I can't believe guys still complain about this every time it happens.

Monte,Nascar is on every Sunday and believe it or not they have oil-down's as well as wrecks which sometimes leads to over an hour of Red Flag(for the non Nascar fans that means everything is stopped)they even have rain delays and they not only stay with it they run it passed its time slot to show it all.
Why am I telling you about Nascar go to a Race see just how many spectators are there!You think Bracket Racing is boring Wait till you set on your BiG Fat Butt 6-7 hours watching one,after about 10 laps after a restart there is cars all around the track and all you hear is a never ending ROAR.
When you see 1st hand just how Big Nascar has become and you wonder why in the Hell would all these people come to see this boring Sh*t and not go to an NHRA Race with admission only costing 1/2 as much and you can walk right up to the Drivers & Race-Cars in the pits.You won't get to do that at a Nascar Race.
I am going to tell you why its called TV Coverage that comes on when its suppose to and last all day on Sunday giving everyone that can't afford to take the Family out costing a $100.00 or more every weekend.But they can afford to have friends over an BBQ and drink a few beers every Sunday.Every Sunday while drinking and having watching Nascar,they come up with the Big idea of going to the next Nascar race close enough to attend.
Now while all of us Drag Racers know Nascar is no where close to being as good as NHRA Drag Racing,when we tell our Nascar friends "You Think That Nascar sh*t is good turn over to ESPN2 @ 9:oo PM Sunday night and watch some NHRA Drag Racing. You know what comes next RIGHT they come up to you the next day and say "I didn't see any Drag Racing last night @ 9:00 PM when I turned over there.Just how good can NHRA Drag Racing be if they show Tennis in its place!

PS Monte,dude next time you get stuck at a boring Drag Race,just Snort you a little of that NOS and you will be a "Happy Camper"

"To Be The Man'You Have Got To Beat The Man" "T/D and Pro-Bracket Racer"
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: John_Kunkel] #1659991
08/18/14 04:17 PM
08/18/14 04:17 PM
Mt. Vernon, Ohio
dartman366 Offline
I Live Here
dartman366  Offline
I Live Here

Mt. Vernon, Ohio
and how many times and how many different angles do we need to see a top fueler explode.

Light travels faster than the speed of sound,,,this is why some people seem bright untill you hear them speak.
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: dartman366] #1659992
08/18/14 05:27 PM
08/18/14 05:27 PM
Belpre,Ohio
C
CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Just saying,,,the Little League World Series(live) ran over a little,,,there were over 30,000 people there watching(live),,,I didn't mind waiting 1/2 hour to watch the drag racing,,that never got finished anyway.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: dartman366] #1659993
08/18/14 05:30 PM
08/18/14 05:30 PM
Rio Linda, CA
John_Kunkel Offline
Too Many Posts
John_Kunkel  Offline
Too Many Posts

Rio Linda, CA
Quote:

and how many times and how many different angles do we need to see a top fueler explode.

Another good reason for a DVR and FF.

The INTERNET, the MISinformation superhighway
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: John_Kunkel] #1659994
08/18/14 05:48 PM
08/18/14 05:48 PM
Between a rock & a hard place
C
cudadoug Offline
master
cudadoug  Offline
master
C

Between a rock & a hard place
QUOTE[ABC delayed the start of the 49er preseason game this morning due to the Little League game...first almost the 1st quarter...it was blacked out on the NFL Network..]

That game should have been "blacked out" to the Niner fans at the new stadium too. Fitting debut for the new house!

Back on point: I was going to watch my first ESPN/NHRA show last evening. (Haven't watched a race all year) Guess what? I left the living room and didn't return. My point? NHRA lost a viewer due to the delay.

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: cudadoug] #1659995
08/18/14 07:38 PM
08/18/14 07:38 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
While cautions are very common in NASCAR, Red Flags are not..........NHRA fuel cars on the other hand oil the track on a regular basis, and if not, they still run the tractors out after every pair to drag the track. Drag Racing has NEVER been conducive to good live TV and never will be. Plus, what are you going to show between rounds of the Pro cars, when it gets late in the rounds and you still have the turnaround time to account for.........."Stop" classes, stock eliminator, handicap classes?..........yep that will keep non informed fans glued right to the screen.

The reason NASCAR is WAY bigger than NHRA.......MONEY and lots of it. Drivers race for millions of dollars. A sport that generates that kind of money, can afford to spent it to gain exposure. Sponsors are WAY easier to get when the logo is driving around in circles for hours. Don't even have to be up front, just on the track. NHRA......not so much.

Been to plenty of NASCAR races, so I kinda understand the principle of what is going on........LOL

Monte

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: John_Kunkel] #1659996
08/18/14 08:59 PM
08/18/14 08:59 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline OP
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline OP
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
Quote:

Quote:

who cares , get over it. not going to change.

Yep, and be thankful there's any coverage at all. Many here remember when there was none.

Once again, a DVR takes care of any timing discrepancies and allows you to FF through the "talking head" interviews, commercials, etc.

Actually I do remember when it was none or very rare. When Pro Stock started in 1970 I had wished they would have covered some races but it was very rare and you had to wait about two months to get a car mag that told you who won. Ron

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: Monte_Smith] #1659997
08/18/14 09:22 PM
08/18/14 09:22 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
Quote:

While cautions are very common in NASCAR, Red Flags are not..........NHRA fuel cars on the other hand oil the track on a regular basis, and if not, they still run the tractors out after every pair to drag the track. Drag Racing has NEVER been conducive to good live TV and never will be. Plus, what are you going to show between rounds of the Pro cars, when it gets late in the rounds and you still have the turnaround time to account for.........."Stop" classes, stock eliminator, handicap classes?..........yep that will keep non informed fans glued right to the screen.

Yes,Yes,Yes I would like to see all of those run,TA/D, TA/FC,Comp(I have a friend that runs comp lives in AL and is one of the best)Stock S/S T/D T/S,don't really care for the .90 class's but why not show them as well!And so would all of the new Fans NHRA would gain from having a 6-7 hour race on Sunday.It would give a lot of people something to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon besides watching Nascar!
There would be a lot more Fans in the stands when NHRA come to a city near them.

The reason NASCAR is WAY bigger than NHRA.......MONEY and lots of it. Drivers race for millions of dollars. A sport that generates that kind of money, can afford to spent it to gain exposure. Sponsors are WAY easier to get when the logo is driving around in circles for hours. Don't even have to be up front, just on the track. NHRA......not so much.

Been to plenty of NASCAR races, so I kinda understand the principle of what is going on........LOL

Monte,you being from AlaBAMA I sure you have.I would be willing to bet $$$ you are a Dale JR fan,rather you are or not you are smart enough not to bad mouth JR,because you know what all them Daymn RedNecks would do to you if you did!

PS Monte don't take this the wrong way it is not a personal attack on you just having a little Fun.

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1659998
08/19/14 01:02 AM
08/19/14 01:02 AM
Louisville, KY
E
E-Ticket Offline
master
E-Ticket  Offline
master
E

Louisville, KY
Drag Racing may not be (TV popular) but one thing for sure is that drag racing is way more popular (IMHO), than is round track particularly "on the sportsman level" because what other motor sport can you attend and or more easily be a participant of than drag racing??

When I go to the track....yeah, there aren't that terribly many butts in the stands because those fans that aren't in the stands, are usually in the driver seat of their own car. I mean seriously....how many cars participate on any Tuesday through Sunday day & night across America?? Average night during the week....100 - 200 participants, "special pay out" events on the weekend, you can see 200 - 500 cars show up? How may round trackers are there out there that can say that about their sport?

Drag racers cant go sit in the stands and watch other racers race because its in the blood to be on the track....seems like the only ones who sit in the stands are the rare non-racer and the friends and family of the drag racer. NASCAR fans are just that..."Fans" and most likely those fans are not racers....just fans.......

"Fat drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son......"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK-Dqj4fHmM
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1659999
08/19/14 01:20 PM
08/19/14 01:20 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Yes,Yes,Yes I would like to see all of those run,TA/D, TA/FC,Comp(I have a friend that runs comp lives in AL and is one of the best)Stock S/S T/D T/S,don't really care for the .90 class's but why not show them as well!And so would all of the new Fans NHRA would gain from having a 6-7 hour race on Sunday.It would give a lot of people something to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon besides watching Nascar!
There would be a lot more Fans in the stands when NHRA come to a city near them.

Monte,you being from AlaBAMA I sure you have.I would be willing to bet $$$ you are a Dale JR fan,rather you are or not you are smart enough not to bad mouth JR,because you know what all them Daymn RedNecks would do to you if you did!

PS Monte don't take this the wrong way it is not a personal attack on you just having a little Fun.

I don't watch, nor care enough about NASCAR to be a "fan" of any driver in particular. If I was picking one though, it would NOT be Dale JR.

Monte

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: Monte_Smith] #1660000
08/19/14 05:34 PM
08/19/14 05:34 PM
Wichita Kansas
B Dartman Offline
master
B Dartman  Offline
master

Wichita Kansas
Anyone else want to lean over and any time Greg Anderson ? The guy is too much of a whiner.

Greg (.077 6.57 @209) got SPANKED on the starting line at Brainerd losing to Deric Kramker (.004 6.64 @206) and who does ESPN interview first...Greg. Break out the towels

How bout we go to the round winner first to congratulate

There; I feel better now on.

B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Mopar Muscle (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1971-dodge-dart-destiny-determination/
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger in Dodge Garage (Sold Dec 2021): https://www.dodgegarage.com/news/article/showcase/2019/04/destiny-determination.html
B Dartman's 71 Dart Swinger early build pictures (Sold Dec 2021): https://s165.photobucket.com/user/Billswild440dart/library/
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: B Dartman] #1660001
08/19/14 09:05 PM
08/19/14 09:05 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
If the shows were done like the old Diamond P shows, they would probably attract a little more attention. Go to YouTube and watch some of the old shows with Mac and Steve Evans.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: CMcAllister] #1660002
08/19/14 09:35 PM
08/19/14 09:35 PM
Sweet Home Alabama
M
MRMOPAR622 Offline
top fuel
MRMOPAR622  Offline
top fuel
M

Sweet Home Alabama
I do not know about some of you on here but I take Pride in myself,my race-car and my sport drag racing!
For the ones that say Drag Racing is not equal or better than any of the other sports,I just don't see how you can have any pride in yourself or race-car much less the sport of drag racing.I hope for the sake of your Family you do not feel the same way about them.

PS It may be a waste of my time when I voice my opinion to ESPN for there lack of respect not just to our sport but to us Drag Racers & Fans as well.I do not fail to let NHRA know how I feel about them for letting ESPN dis-respect our sport as well as us.Fellow American Drag Racers you need to learn to stand up for yourselves!

Last edited by MRMOPAR622; 08/19/14 09:36 PM.

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1660003
08/19/14 11:17 PM
08/19/14 11:17 PM
IL, Aurora
A
ademon Offline
master
ademon  Offline
master
A

IL, Aurora
There not only disrespecting drag racing and NHRA, NHRA is paying ESPN for the production cost. If this was lucrative for ESPN they would be biding on NHRA with fox, nbc, abc etc.. For the rights to show it. Im thinking ESPN is making money on the production and using it as filler/ garbage programming just a notch above infomercials. BLAME NHRA I personally do not want to see P/S bike, run P/S with stockish type body's and use the modern hemi, LS1, tired of force, caps, and the same blowhards,

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: ademon] #1660004
08/20/14 12:16 AM
08/20/14 12:16 AM
western Ky
CraigS Offline
enthusiast
CraigS  Offline
enthusiast

western Ky
Have any of you ever been to an event and heard the top fuelers go down the track???It is the most awesome 4 seconds in all of sports,but it just doesn't transfer to TV,you cant get that feeling from a pair of 4" speakers in a TV.Go to the Events.

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: CraigS] #1660005
08/20/14 12:32 AM
08/20/14 12:32 AM
Indiana
C
Crabra Offline
enthusiast
Crabra  Offline
enthusiast
C

Indiana
I don't know why anybody is pissed about espn's coverage.I will say that the fuel cars don't translate to the common racer.I think the real racers would rather see promods and the sporstman cars.I don't care for warren johnson but he was right when he talked about the nhra being biased toward the fuel cars.I enjoy bracket racing and I enjoy the heads up stuff like the superstock hemi cars.

Re: ESPN pulled their crap again ! [Re: MRMOPAR622] #1660006
08/20/14 02:51 AM
08/20/14 02:51 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

I do not know about some of you on here but I take Pride in myself,my race-car and my sport drag racing!
For the ones that say Drag Racing is not equal or better than any of the other sports,I just don't see how you can have any pride in yourself or race-car much less the sport of drag racing.I hope for the sake of your Family you do not feel the same way about them.

PS It may be a waste of my time when I voice my opinion to ESPN for there lack of respect not just to our sport but to us Drag Racers & Fans as well.I do not fail to let NHRA know how I feel about them for letting ESPN dis-respect our sport as well as us.Fellow American Drag Racers you need to learn to stand up for yourselves!

It's all about one thing and that thing is MONEY. It's pretty simple. If NHRA drew a larger market share, than the show that runs into their time, it would NOT happen and those are the simple facts that won't be changing any time soon. Has nothing to do with beating your chest about "having pride" in what you do or what your sport of choice is. Has to do with how things work in the real world.

I have been involved with and loved Drag Racing my whole life. I go to more events in a year, than most people will in ten. I make my living with drag racing and all that said.........the NHRA broadcast on ESPN is a snooze fest for me. I haven't sat down and watched one in 4 or 5 years. So does that make me LESS of a fan of drag racing?...........of course not. It just means that I don't care for THAT type racing as much as others. If you like country music and don't go to EVERY concert to support your local arena and your music taste.......does that make you less of a fan........of course not.

And another way to look at it.........if the market share continues to go down, maybe just MAYBE, NHRA will put something on the broadcast that people WANT to see.

Like the show, or HATE it, the viewers that "Street Outlaws" and all these other car shows get, should show the NHRA something.

While probably the most technically challenging class in all of drag racing, Pro-Stock is a snore to watch on TV. Same with Pro-Stock bike. The Pro-Mods are wild looking and unpredictable. Fans like that stuff. For the life of me I can't see how NHRA doesn't realize that. Or maybe they do and are just to hardheaded to do anything about it.

What I WOULD watch on TV........how about some Pro-Mods, some Fuel Alterds, nitro front engine dragsters............something that doesn't appear "point and shoot"

Monte

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3