08/06/14 05:39 AM
08/06/14 05:39 AM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline OP
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline OP
enthusiast

sandwich IL
ok guys...my car is a 70 charger pro touring all aluminum hemi equipped with many items that will be connected to battery....like holley hp efi,msd 6a,spaghetti menders 3 terminal relay that will control a1000 fuel pump and 2 spal fans....i have 160 amp alt and optima yellow top..i will have volt gauge on my tablet display..will i be able to run nacho's parallel or will this be to much draw for amp gauge and bypass it all together ...i would love to have both...ok guys...lets hear it..ty

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: sublimehemi] #1655646
08/06/14 11:31 AM
08/06/14 11:31 AM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Short answer: With all your stuff I would relay em all directly to the alt not to the battery. This lets your high powered alt power all the extra high powered draws & keeps the ammeter honest & keeps the rest of the electrical system out of the picture except for the minor current needed to trigger the relays. I would definitely still do Nacho's parallel bypass on the 2 main in/out wires at/thru the bulkhead. EDIT The Madd bypass is excellent IF you are OK with giving up your ammeter function. I'm old school & I like it (plus an added voltmeter to switched 12V)

Last edited by RapidRobert; 08/06/14 12:38 PM.
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: RapidRobert] #1655647
08/06/14 11:43 AM
08/06/14 11:43 AM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline
mopar
S

Georgia
I had a long, long talk with Mark from Mad Elec about six months ago and have since then really studied this issue. The best possible spot to connect is the positive stud on the starter relay. The idea is to establish a power point that is between both power sources. The attached drawing Mark asked me to draw explains it a little better than my text here. Power moves in the direction of the draw. When the alternator is running power goes TO the battery, when the power is off, it comes from the battery, etc. Basic stuff I know.

In short, the primary power distribution point right now is the welded wires under the dash. The idea is to move that point inside the engine compartment so the primary power does not have to cross the bulkhead connectors. Unless you establish a new "central" point, the best default one is the positive stud on the starter relay.

This new power point should then be the primary tap for things like headlight relays, fans, etc. If you look at the arrows in the drawing you will see that when the alternator is running, ALL power to this point will be pulled from the new central point. However, this only reduces risk if you run a jumper between the ALT and the positive stud. One or the other won't help you much.

To really make a difference, you need to:

1) Run a Bypass wire
2) Move the "central" power point from the weld to something like the positive stud on the starter relay.
3) Begin placing relays in the engine compartment for lights, fans, etc.

I have done this and it looks invisible and made a huge difference to my power. I can send plenty of photos but they are all from an E-Body.

-Steve

8231760-Y.jpg (299 downloads)
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: sublimehemi] #1655648
08/06/14 03:08 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
With your setup I'd ditch the Ammeter in a nano second and just run a voltmeter.
The Ammeter was a good thing in the 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's. But the generator was also good until the alternator came along.
Trying to run an ammeter on a system like your describing is opening the door for trouble with no real benefit.
HMMM how many vehicles made in the last 20 years have ammeters?????
There is a reason

Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: sublimehemi] #1655649
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline OP
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline OP
enthusiast

sandwich IL
my relay from spaghetti menders....will having this hooked up to battery give me activity on amp gauge....

8231968-image3(1).jpg (347 downloads)
Last edited by sublimehemi; 08/06/14 03:09 PM.

70 charger ,all aluminum 528 hemi 727 cope rmvb,680hp 670 tq,full sequential holley hp efi,full hotchkis tvs,qa1 k and lowers,borgeson steering box cass viper 11.75 with cass s-trac dana 3.54
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: sublimehemi] #1655650
08/06/14 04:11 PM
08/06/14 04:11 PM
Balt. Md
383man Offline
Too Many Posts
383man  Offline
Too Many Posts

Balt. Md
The only way I would keep an amp gauge is if you run a shunt type amp gauge. Mopar started using them on the bigger cars around 1973 I believe. The shunt carries 90 % of the load so that way not much current goes thru the amp gauge. But the amp gauge is not as accurate since it dont move much with most of the current bypassing it and you still have to run the wires up to the amp gauge in the dash and the alt output has to go on the load side of the gauge for it to work right. Myself I would just eliminate the amp gauge and go with the voltmeter as then you can run the alt output right to the battery or whereever you want. Ron

Last edited by 383man; 08/06/14 04:12 PM.
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: 383man] #1655651
08/06/14 05:52 PM
08/06/14 05:52 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Do I need really to writte up everything again, this time on a new thread about that ? LOL

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: NachoRT74] #1655652
08/06/14 07:59 PM
08/06/14 07:59 PM
sandwich IL
sublimehemi Offline OP
enthusiast
sublimehemi  Offline OP
enthusiast

sandwich IL
Quote:

Do I need really to writte up everything again, this time on a new thread about that ? LOL

i was hoping you were going to chime in nacho...i have read your post for years...ty for helping all of us understand how it works:)...on my set up...i need efi to go to battery...i need msd to go to battery...i am hooking up spaghetti menders relay kit to battery which will power aeromotive a1000 fuel pump and and two spal fans....i have all new factory harnesses so the least bit of cutting the better...now to add to this my msd box bypasses the the ballast resister and i have internal voltage regulator on a 3 wire alternator so i will be not be using factory voltage regulator...my engine harness will be modified slightly for this...should i get anything charger specialties has to offer like their amp gauge,voltage limiter or circuit board...money is no object...i do not want to bun down my car...how would you run this and also look factory and safe.ty in advance

Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: sublimehemi] #1655653
08/06/14 09:19 PM
08/06/14 09:19 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
being you have read my replies is hepfull to make this.

how I would do?

if you have a powerfull alt able to feed everything iddling, you won't have any problem to keep the ammeter working, even if is still the stock 40 amps alt.

A low charge alt won't ever suck enough power to get a full load charge reading at regular RPMs. And if does, will be for a minute or so.

but if your source everything from batt side keeping the ammeter, you'll have mostly sure a "ghosty" charge reading wich is not really a charge job, but really a sourcing job for the newer accesories. Is then, an unnecesary stress and load for the charge system, meaning this, wiring, terminals, ammeter.

The ONLY moment you should worried keeping the ammeter and sourcing everything from alt side is if alternator says byebye, or if you turn off the engine and keeps sourcing the devices/accesories somehow... i.e. fans relay being sourced from a constant power source instead keyed, but if this is the case, these will turn off by itself once engine gets cold, which should be more less quick.

the question is... do you want to keep the ammeter or not ?

myself, I wouldn't get worried as in fact really do. I have 6 relays sourcing my car with stock in everything but just halogen headlights, my 40 amps stock ammeter working, and stock 80's mopar replacement alt. All relays sourced from alt side straight from ammeter stud ( all relays inside the cab to be hidden making a cleaner engine bay view without splices anywhere ). Well of course, these 6 relays will be never working together, just 3 max, but normally 2, if I turn A/C in low speed and headlights. If turn on A/C on mid or high, 3 relays, since low speed is allways activated no matter the speed when you trun on the A/C( factory design on 70s Mopars ), but still just 2 getting the load.

next question... have you calculated how many amperes you'll need to source everything, and how much amps gives the alt iddling ?

THIS is the main to be answered... after this, you can decide which way to go.

Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: TJP] #1655654
08/08/14 06:04 PM
08/08/14 06:04 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

With your setup I'd ditch the Ammeter in a nano second and just run a voltmeter.
The Ammeter was a good thing in the 30's 40's 50's 60's and 70's. But the generator was also good until the alternator came along.
Trying to run an ammeter on a system like your describing is opening the door for trouble with no real benefit.
HMMM how many vehicles made in the last 20 years have ammeters?????
There is a reason

The true answer is that it is much cheaper. Fire trucks, emergency power plants, even professional generators all still have ammeters. Remote shunt resistors are a new improvement that keeps high current wiring to a minimum. A volt meter will only tell you one thing: your battery is dead. But then you knew that when it went click click. On a lead acid battery, voltage is absolutely no indicator of the condition of the battery except when it is dead or has shorted cells.
BTW I am still waiting for someone to submit a burned up ammeter picture. I am getting tired of seeing the same Dodge truck picture that had a miss-wired snow plow attached to it. So far it is the only example I have seen in 50 years of police/fire maintenance and operation. You would think that if this was common it would show up more.
End of rant.

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: denfireguy] #1655655
08/08/14 06:21 PM
08/08/14 06:21 PM
Oregon
A
AndyF Offline
I Win
AndyF  Offline
I Win
A

Oregon
I've seen plenty of charred Mopar instrument panels or firewall connectors over the years. The original design might have been okay in the 60's, but it doesn't hold up to modern electrical demands. The firewall connector is probably the weak link rather than the ammeter, but the ammeter will melt if you send enough current to it.

The Mopar engineers started to figure it out in the 70's. They ran heavy gauge thru the firewall on some vehicles and they started to shunt around the ammeter.

Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: AndyF] #1655656
08/08/14 07:25 PM
08/08/14 07:25 PM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Actually I'd say mostly of ammeter and bulkhead fails are related to 3 BIG stupidities!!!

1-hook every existant newer accesory to batt
2-upgrade the batt with a more powerfull one, keeping SAME FACTORY underrated alternator
3-the factory guilt misconception ammeter is an alternator gauge where really is a batt gauge

and these three are proportionally related electricity ignorance

every body is worried about some electricity burn around, but our car works with EXTREMELLY DANGEROUS GASOLINE ACTIVATED WITH A SPARK INTO A CILINDER!!! and quite often with backfires trhough carb due whichever reason.

If we use gasoline to make work our cars and everything takes care correctly about it, why not we do the same about electricity ? without any hack up job needed for that!!! just knwoledgement.

mantenience and knolwedgement will save you.

would be great ppl begins to understand about electricity, the same than takes cares about understand a camshaft!

Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: denfireguy] #1655657
08/09/14 08:09 PM
08/09/14 08:09 PM
Northern OH
R
rapom Offline
top fuel
rapom  Offline
top fuel
R

Northern OH
My brother's 77 Dodge truck had a melted Amp meter that caught fire and damaged his dash. A voltmeter also will show you immediately when your alt. can't keep up.

Last edited by rapom; 08/09/14 08:18 PM.
Re: help with amp bypass or parellel [Re: AndyF] #1655658
08/14/14 03:21 PM
08/14/14 03:21 PM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
Quote:

I've seen plenty of charred Mopar instrument panels or firewall connectors over the years. The original design might have been okay in the 60's, but it doesn't hold up to modern electrical demands. The firewall connector is probably the weak link rather than the ammeter, but the ammeter will melt if you send enough current to it.

The Mopar engineers started to figure it out in the 70's. They ran heavy gauge thru the firewall on some vehicles and they started to shunt around the ammeter.

THIS is the correct answer

Mopar KNEW THEIR CRAP WIRING was inadequate, just research "fleet wiring."

I don't remember when? 72? or so? Furys and other "big" cars started using shunt ammeters.