08/02/14 02:36 AM
08/02/14 02:36 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
OK so technically its a test-N-tune event tomorrow but im going to see how well the barracuda hits pylons and I am stoked!!

After barely moving the car for the last 18 months and it being on jack stands since last September, its finally together and driving ! Its a shame that I have neglected it so but work/life/locally competitive autox (SRT4) pretty much stole me away from working on it.

It turns out i had several problems caused by the previous owner including un-tight LCA pins and wallowed out kframe LCA tubes, not to mention the 73+ K frame with too long 72- old style strut rods. So in the last Two weeks:

installed welded/reinforced/painted 73+ K frame
correct length strut rods, with bushing adjustments
reinforced LCA w\urethane bushings
FFI UCAs
1.125" FSB that ive owned for 4 years
0.75 RSB owned 2 years
1.03 torsion bars
Wilwood prop valve to tame the giant 11x2.5" rear drums & 15/16" cylinders. balance is good but i still need smaller wheel cylinders.
SRT4 front drivers seat. pass seat mount pending
Sure-grip /rear axle seal freshening
new brake hoses
OK~ish driveway alignment. lots of caster and ~-2 deg camber 1/16" toe in.
17x8 wheels and mounted nearly NEW 225/45 Dunlop ZII's (got great deal!)

I even put some real road miles on the car so im not surprised by something stupid.

props to the previous owner manual disk brake setup with DOT 5. It really does work well with good pedal modulation and everything came out crystal clean even though this was the first time the brakes have been open since i bought it in 2009.

Still needs some things done on the list but the goal really isn't an all out competitive autoxer, Im just trying to get a baseline. But who knows its already turning better than i was expecting.

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1653998
08/02/14 05:40 AM
08/02/14 05:40 AM
Queensland Australia
V8val Offline
V8val  Offline

Queensland Australia
Nice one! Hope you get some video/pics to share

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1653999
08/02/14 07:41 PM
08/02/14 07:41 PM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
Vids are uploading...

only got through the first session of the testntune. I had a steady drip develop at an aftermarket temperature sensor right next to the pass motormount. I must have hit it installing the K frame last week. So during lunch i grabbed a wrench to see if a slight tighten will fix it. NOPE it got way worse. Then really bad, then better,and then the sensor is twisted off! whatever is left in the block didn't leak anymore, which i thought was very odd. Drove it home 90 miles stopped a couple times, the first time it burped out the overflow so I knew it was full and had pressure.

P/S box is shot. engine off its sloppy. Engine on the pressure takes up the slop and the wheel is actually very responsive, it just goes dead at the second cone in the slalom. I guess dead in the slalom would be the PS pump or belt slipping

turn in is rather good and overall it handles much better than i was expecting. Just a touch loose in the slalom, probably could stand to be looser for my taste (already 44psi rear). The brakes were great. The warm ZII's didn't let the rear lock up, probably could have added some rear pressure. But first i need better pads that what look like $9.99 red autozone lifetime specials. If anything I was getting slightly worried about oil control.

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1654000
08/02/14 09:01 PM
08/02/14 09:01 PM
So Cal
autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Vids are uploading...

only got through the first session of the testntune. I had a steady drip develop at an aftermarket temperature sensor right next to the pass motormount. I must have hit it installing the K frame last week. So during lunch i grabbed a wrench to see if a slight tighten will fix it. NOPE it got way worse. Then really bad, then better,and then the sensor is twisted off! whatever is left in the block didn't leak anymore, which i thought was very odd. Drove it home 90 miles stopped a couple times, the first time it burped out the overflow so I knew it was full and had pressure.

P/S box is shot. engine off its sloppy. Engine on the pressure takes up the slop and the wheel is actually very responsive, it just goes dead at the second cone in the slalom. I guess dead in the slalom would be the PS pump or belt slipping

turn in is rather good and overall it handles much better than i was expecting. Just a touch loose in the slalom, probably could stand to be looser for my taste (already 44psi rear). The brakes were great. The warm ZII's didn't let the rear lock up, probably could have added some rear pressure. But first i need better pads that what look like $9.99 red autozone lifetime specials. If anything I was getting slightly worried about oil control.

What kind of power steering pump do you have? Federal (round neck) or Saginaw (oval or rectangular neck)?

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: autoxcuda] #1654001
08/02/14 09:09 PM
08/02/14 09:09 PM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
I have the Federal pump. I would need to source bracketry for the saginaw. I do have a sag pump off of a 5.9 magnum b-van (sits lower IIRC for those doing a magnum front end swap) I wonder if the LA saginaw bracket will still work?

What about the box? seriously engine off there is a couple inches of play in the steering wheel. Engine on and everything is tight as can be.

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1654002
08/02/14 10:54 PM
08/02/14 10:54 PM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
gopro from today. If there is a way to embed vids in this forum i haven't yet found the right tags/syntax.

LOL i SWEAR i was on cones that im more than a foot from. I had to relearn my peripheral vision to the extents of the car. Its actually almost identical track as my SRT4 but the fender overhang or maybe the point of view is quite a bit different.

Autox 67 Barrcuda

some front tire deflection vids. Not quite what i was going for but I was a bit rushed camera placement and was planning on more time in the afternoon. I dont know if its useful for much other than illustrating why overtiring can be a bad idea.

225/45/17 Dunlop ZII on 17x8

EDIT: Alot of that deflection is distortion/illusion from the wide angle gopro camera mounted on its side. Those tires are not stretched on the wheel standing still.

Autox 67 Barrcuda Front Wheel

Autox 67 Barracuda Rear tire

Last edited by Trojmn; 08/03/14 02:03 AM.
Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1654003
08/02/14 11:09 PM
08/02/14 11:09 PM
On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
amxautox Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.
amxautox  Offline
Still Retired. Still Posting on Moparts. A Lot.

On The Boat, On The Lake, Wa. ...
questions;

what is the rim width

what is the tire tread width

what is the cold, before going on course the first run, and warm/hot, immediately after the run, tire pressures?

Don't you use shoe polish on the side of the tire's edge to see just how far the tire rolls over? try that, it looks to be wearing on the edge instead of the center of the tread, going by the dark line around the tire close to the edge. Maybe more pressure, or narrower rim.

Tom

"Everyone should believe in something; I believe I'll go fishing."

-Henry David Thoreau

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths

author unknown

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: amxautox] #1654004
08/03/14 01:05 AM
08/03/14 01:05 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
EDIT: Alot of that deflection is distortion/illusion from the wide angle gopro camera mounted on its side. Those tires are not stretched on the wheel.

answers in red...

Quote:

questions;

what is the rim width; 17x8

what is the tire tread width; 225/45/17 section 8.9" tread 8.2" ZII tirerack specs here

what is the cold, before going on course the first run, and warm/hot, immediately after the run, tire pressures?

i started with 37F/41R it was a shot in the dark based on similarish weight SRT. I was expecting understeer city with the massive increase in front roll resistance from stock. I checked tires after 2 runs 40LF/44LR and bled the fronts down to 38 and didn't check further. not doubt it was more by the end of 10 runs. The tire vids were somewhere run 4-5 iirc. due to the dumb nearly full lock 360^ element on the test track i purposefully kept pressure high to save tires. The points of the tread sidewall triangles "^" are just touched. Not that they are the best indicator. Even re-checked the drivers tire with a flashlight just now. They looks good considering the video.

Don't you use shoe polish on the side of the tire's edge to see just how far the tire rolls over? usually Chalk, but with newish unabused tires without sidewall scuffs its plainly easy to see.

try that, it looks to be wearing on the edge instead of the center of the tread, going by the dark line around the tire close to the edge. Maybe more pressure, or narrower rim. more pressure sure, but I'm not following the narrow rim logic. Wouldn't a 245 of the same diameter roll more and require more pressure?

Your going to have tire deflection regardless and no real course will have such a tight diameter evo school like 360. the comment about overtire was really just in passing. As in: "im surprised there's that much, can you imaging IF i had 245's on my 17x8 it would look even worse."

I had the thermocouple in my tool bag, but I left the pyrometer in my SRT console or i would have got temp data... really today wasn't that serious for me but just a shakedown and i was concerned about the leak, crap PS, damn WOT bog, shifting the trans, and staying upright. The club ran a 25 limit T&T (normal events are ~65-95 drivers) then several cars jump out of grid to change/repair whatever, things were moving fast + short course. I barely had time to move the camera before i was going again. I stopped checking pressure and ran with what i had knowing that it was tire safe "enough"

Last edited by Trojmn; 08/03/14 02:01 AM.
Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Trojmn] #1654005
08/03/14 08:06 AM
08/03/14 08:06 AM
STL
cdstl Offline
pro stock
cdstl  Offline
pro stock

STL
Were you at Chanute AFB?

1972 Cuda 340 4 speed, 2001 Ram CTD 4x4 6 speed, 1970 Duster 408 4 speed, 1996 Ram 5.9 2x4 auto, 1965 Coronet 500
Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: cdstl] #1654006
08/03/14 11:43 AM
08/03/14 11:43 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
yes, our home site is the decommissioned Chanute AFB in beautiful Rantoul, IL. Good club, its ran well. Typical course length is 60secs.

most of that concrete was poured in the 30's. So to keep the course routes fresh, every spring we have a couple "Patching days" where the club supplies the labor, cuts, demos, and pours/finished and the city buys the concrete and hauls away. This year we poured more than 16yrds.

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: amxautox] #1654007
08/04/14 12:18 AM
08/04/14 12:18 AM
Phila. Pa.
Mattax Offline
top fuel
Mattax  Offline
top fuel

Phila. Pa.
Quote:

Don't you use shoe polish on the side of the tire's edge to see just how far the tire rolls over?

I still often do, but hardly see anyone else doing that any more.

The tire movement doesn't look particularly out of ordinary to me. Heck I was flexing rims and talking with the guys at Pheonix that's not unusual with light rims and sticky tires racing or autocross. At some point rigidity and durability becomes more improtant than weight, but that's getting OT.

My only suggestion is anticipate and start moving the steering wheel a little earlier than you're used to with your more modern car. That alone might get you closer to the cones. Another thing I've done with both myself and helping others is to to set up a couple of cones. Then pull the car past them and stop when you think the tire is next to the cone(s. Get out and walk around the car to see how it really is. Do that a few times and it helps establish in your mind the relationship from the windshield view.

PS Nice job and smart approach.

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Mattax] #1654008
08/04/14 01:18 AM
08/04/14 01:18 AM
Escondido CA USA
Tomswheels Offline
enthusiast
Tomswheels  Offline
enthusiast

Escondido CA USA

Re: 67 Notchback inaugural autox !!! 8/2/2014 [Re: Mattax] #1654009
08/04/14 03:35 AM
08/04/14 03:35 AM
Central IL
T
Trojmn Offline OP
Trojmn  Offline OP
T

Central IL
thanks for the feedback! i agree i need more seat time to figure it out. I'm not a natural talent driver and i take time to ramp up. I still typically have more than 2sec spread from the first to my last run. So seat time, fixing the annoying/distracting vehicle issues will help me get comfortable and focus.

ha yeah i guess that tire deflection isn't so extreme considering that cool pic of the valiant/dart, but you can see the distortion toward the top of the frame where it looks like im running 165mm tires on 8" rims. It might look a little worse than it is in this vid.

Fore general autox reference, My preferred camera placement on the SRT below, as you can see I'm usually quite a bit closer to the pylons and will knock them over with the rears as much as the front. This run was .544 from FTDi. Hell I left at least that much just exiting the sweeper not to mention elsewhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6DhAg6okWM