Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: What is the purpose of the ballast resistor on my Dart? [Re: 383man] #1653618
08/14/14 11:53 AM
08/14/14 11:53 AM
London, England
Gavin Offline
top fuel
Gavin  Offline
top fuel

London, England
Like the first reply said this has been beaten to death, yet as far as I can see no one has yet posted a key fact (and there several misleading replies).

Correct - you don’t need a BR with an MSD. But if you want to (or do) run one anyway (as asked in this thread) it makes absolutely no difference. It will not affect your performance, cause a stumble, reduce power to the coil etc etc. The MSD uses the original coil feed purely as a trigger wire. All it needs is a signal and does not care about the voltage, and consumes effectively no power. It has its own power feed.

Re: What is the purpose of the ballast resistor on my Dart? [Re: Rick_Ehrenberg] #1653619
08/15/14 12:00 AM
08/15/14 12:00 AM
Montana
Y
Yancy Derringer Offline
mopar
Yancy Derringer  Offline
mopar
Y

Montana
Quote:

The one point that may have been overlooked:

The system is basically designed for full output (and long life)with roughly 9 VDC supply. This is about what you have during cranking, and the ignition switch basically shorts the ballast during said cranking. When it starts, you release the key, the charging system resumes operation, battery voltage comes up to 13-14 VDC, and the ballast is again in series, limiting the current flow (and voltage at coil pos.)

Rick

This is basically the correct answer. It has nothing to do with "cooking the coil." Ferd, GM, or Ma could have easily used a 12V coil like many tractors use without a ballast.

It was done for STARTING

When you go out there, in the North Woods, at oh dark thirty to go to work, January 3rd, and it's below zero, the battery "might" put out 9V cranking. So ALL U.S. manufactures back in the day, used a starting bypass system for a hot spark during cranking.

Then, with engine running, the coil "sees" about that same voltage. It varies from 9-12V actually depending on RPM, points dwell, etc with the system running at nominal 14V

Re: What is the purpose of the ballast resistor on my Dart? [Re: Yancy Derringer] #1653620
08/15/14 02:49 AM
08/15/14 02:49 AM
Valencia, España
NachoRT74 Offline
master
NachoRT74  Offline
master

Valencia, España
Didn't read all replies ( and I bet is not necesary ), but just a note.

With MSD you can keep or not the ballast. If you want to get your system back to stock look and work ( with stock or HiPo Module ), would be easier keep it, instead hack up everything.

MSD would use the coil wire ( the one coming from ballast and the one they advice to use in fact ) to be turned on or off from ign key, so a small ~9 volt signal is enough to keep it on, and ballast will be cool anyway ( not much load required for that ). MSD won't use this source to power the ignition system. It already got the thick red wire coming from batt source for that.

Coil won't be sourced anymore from ballast, but from MSD itself, which being multispark ( "multitriggered" ), will keep cooler than a constant source from ballast/ign switch circuit like previouslly was.

With a Charger born in Chrysler assembly plant in Valencia, Venezuela
Page 2 of 2 1 2