07/03/14 11:19 PM
07/03/14 11:19 PM
PA
R
RoadRunner73 Offline OP
RoadRunner73  Offline OP
R

PA
Putting the engine in my bird this Saturday and not sure what my best options are. Originally it was a small block, I'm now dropping in a 440 with the Schumacher swap kit. I'm nervous about trying to swing the engine and tranny into the car, even though that's how the engine was removed since the car is painted now. Anyone have some tips? Not sure if I have the room to drop the engine in then get the car up high enough to put the tranny in from underneathe. Any other ideas short of dropping the whole front suspension and then putting it back up in with the engine mounted on it.

-----
1973 Plymouth Road Runner
Re: Engine Install [Re: RoadRunner73] #1641811
07/03/14 11:24 PM
07/03/14 11:24 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I ALWAYS have the center steering link/steering box/steering column OUT when I remove or install an eng/trans. I want the room and dont want to bump into/damage anything. Takes a bit more time but I'm meticulous & when the job is done & I'm (or a customer) is pleased then the extra time will be forgotten & if I dont remove em & there's a mishap it'll be on my mind for quite awhile.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Engine Install [Re: RoadRunner73] #1641812
07/03/14 11:31 PM
07/03/14 11:31 PM
Unfortunately back in New York
N
Nukechargerboy Offline
super stock
Nukechargerboy  Offline
super stock
N

Unfortunately back in New York
Quote:

Putting the engine in my bird this Saturday and not sure what my best options are. Originally it was a small block, I'm now dropping in a 440 with the Schumacher swap kit. I'm nervous about trying to swing the engine and tranny into the car, even though that's how the engine was removed since the car is painted now. Anyone have some tips? Not sure if I have the room to drop the engine in then get the car up high enough to put the tranny in from underneathe. Any other ideas short of dropping the whole front suspension and then putting it back up in with the engine mounted on it.

I put mine in the way you don't want to. I've done it the other ways too, the up from the bottom method seems to be the best way, might take a little more time, but seems to me to be the best method. Picked the front up with the engine crane and pushed the whole show under the car and 4 bolts in the frame in 30 minutes. Torsion bars were a pain, but the tires were on the car before the end of the day. Hopefully by Sunday I'll be ready to fire it up.
BTW that is on a fresh paint job. No scratches or dings. My son thought he ruined it when he rapidly lowered the car 3/4". He's 10, best helper I got. Plus the hood was on the car.

Last edited by Nukechargerboy; 07/03/14 11:34 PM.
Re: Engine Install [Re: RoadRunner73] #1641813
07/04/14 01:11 AM
07/04/14 01:11 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Cover the inner fenders with something to keep the scratches to a minimum {like thick moving blankets}.. Drop it right back in there the way you took it out..Engine and trans bolted together..Put the car's front tires on some ramps to make room for the install underneath... Remember you need to swing the trans tailshaft up and over that horrible crossmember at just the right time on the way in...

Are the k frame's isolated mounts in good shape??? If not now is the time to deal with them before the drivetrain goes back in...

Are you using headers ?? If so lower the engine/trans into the car but install the headers when you're still on the way in and have the two meet up at the right time...

Again, being an original smallblock car that passenger inner fender will be tight and you need something thick like cardboard between the exhaust and it for protection when the time comes... A bedsheet is'nt going to cut it...There was a reason the smallblock/bigblock inner fenders were different but you'll get it in there with some patience...

Here's something important if using headers:
Make sure you have studs in ALL the exhaust bolt holes... they'll all fit even on that year and model...

As stated leave the steering column and that big rubber steering isolator and it's heatshield off until the engine is in it's place..

Lastely, the schumacher mounts work just fine if you've modified the k frame as per the installation sheet..You may need to bolt the headers/manifolds on and still lift the engine and reposition it to gain clearance if needed...Don't tighten down any of the mount's bolts until you're happy with where it's sitting.... Good Luck

Re: Engine Install [Re: screamindriver] #1641814
07/04/14 11:09 AM
07/04/14 11:09 AM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline
mopar
S

Georgia
In my E-Body we removed a 318 with the front of the car on ramps, a rented engine hoist and an engine leveler crank. We installed the 440 the same way but on a lift in a shop instead of front ramps. I agree that I was a complete nervous wreck lifting the engine and tranny over the front of the car but we did it.

A good engine leveling crank is essential and don't forget to grease the worm gears to make tilting the engine a little easier. You can't put enough pads, towels, blankets around the engine compartment and over the front. I am more of a backyard mechanic but we did it without injury or damage to anything.

8197115-Engine.jpg (58 downloads)