06/05/14 10:44 PM
06/05/14 10:44 PM
Freeport IL USA
poorboy Offline OP
I Live Here
poorboy  Offline OP
I Live Here

Freeport IL USA
OK, so the deal is, I'm using the ac compressor on my 90 3.9 Dakota as an idler because I'm too lazy to create a belt pulley system that will function with out the AC pump. The pump is just riding along, there are no hoses connected (the hose fittings are capped off) to it, nor is there any electrical power connected to it. Its been running this way for at least 3-4 years.

Recently, I've been hearing a strange noise coming from the compressor. Upon inspection, I find that occasionally the AC clutch seems to be dragging when the truck motor is running. Sometimes it turns like the AC clutch is powered (there are no wires connected to it). I'm wondering if the pulley bearings may be wearing or freezing up? Right now its only doing this for a few seconds on occasion, but I'm thinking its giving me a warning of a disaster yet to come. I'm pretty sure if it decides to lock in tight, the capped off AC pump won't act as a idler very long and my belts will be gone at a very bad time.

Having not messed with AC pumps since the mid 70s, I'm thinking I need assistance from those of you that know. Is there an easy fix for this growing problem? If I have to ditch the pump as an idler, what other options do I have? The stuff we used to use back in the day are probably no longer available, or no longer cost effective.

I await your response.
Gene

Re: AC compressor bearings? [Re: poorboy] #1629383
06/05/14 11:59 PM
06/05/14 11:59 PM
Kent, Wa
340SHORTY Offline
Truck Nut
340SHORTY  Offline
Truck Nut

Kent, Wa
most likely its the clutch bearing and not the comp bearing..

I am truckless..
Re: AC compressor bearings? [Re: 340SHORTY] #1629384
06/06/14 07:18 AM
06/06/14 07:18 AM
Hawley, Texas
shinnery Offline
super street
shinnery  Offline
super street

Hawley, Texas
I agree on the clutch bearing.
On my '96 2500 V-10 the three links on the clutch flexplate broke, killing the A/C and in Texas it is real nice to have, I had to buy the complete compressor w/Clutch, to get the flexplate, because I could not find the clutch by itself. On mine the clutch is pressed on the compressor.
Bryce

Every electronic device is manufactured with smoke stored deep inside... only a true genius can find a way to set it free. The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I am here to help!"