Red Deer, Alberta
B
bill_greenwood Offline OP
top fuel
bill_greenwood  Offline OP
top fuel
B

Red Deer, Alberta
So, the new cam didn't exactly set the world on fire. Two mid-11 passes on old gas and soft timing. On the third pass, it gave a little hiccup in the middle of high gear and it drove back to the pits making that familiar upper valve train clatter that says something's not right. Pulled valve cover and there was evidinece that there had been a lack of upper end oil on the driver's side. Passenger side looked OK. One left side rocker tip was toast. So, tonight, I plug the drill into the oil pump to see if there is any oil getting to the rockers, and zilch on both sides and I can't get it to register any oil pressure on the gauge.
I really don't want to pull this engine AGAIN!

Re: One forward, two back... [Re: bill_greenwood] #1628005
06/03/14 12:36 AM
06/03/14 12:36 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Do you get resistance from the pump when you spin it..
pull the filter and spin it slowly... are you turning
the pump the right way

Re: One forward, two back... [Re: bill_greenwood] #1628006
06/03/14 02:05 AM
06/03/14 02:05 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
If this is a conventional cam, not groove for full time oiling, you will only get oil to the rockers, one side at a time, when the cam holes are aligned with the main oil passage in the block If the cam is stopped and your priming it go ahead and either bump it over a little at a time on the starter or have someone else turn the crank over slowly while your priming it Let us know what you find, maybe pull the left rocker shaft and see if it is plug up around the 4th rocker arm holddown bolt also the no oil pressure on the gauge is not good, if this is a BB pull the bypass valve and spring out of the oil pump and see if it is stuck in the open position If SB you may have to do the same thing, sorry

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: One forward, two back... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1628007
06/03/14 02:34 AM
06/03/14 02:34 AM
Red Deer, Alberta
B
top fuel
top fuel
B

Red Deer, Alberta
I pulled the shafts to see if I'm getting oil. None up top, and I rotated the engine one full turn to see if I could get the oil holes lined up. Now, I'm running the drill forward. Should I be running it in reverse? Small block, BTW. I never thought about drill direction, but there is absolutely no load on the drill, and it's just a 3/8. Even with no restriction up top, there should be some drag from moving 20W50 oil. The oil on the dipstick shows no discoloration, either. It's perfectly clear.

Re: One forward, two back... [Re: bill_greenwood] #1628008
06/03/14 02:40 AM
06/03/14 02:40 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

I pulled the shafts to see if I'm getting oil. None up top, and I rotated the engine one full turn to see if I could get the oil holes lined up. Now, I'm running the drill forward. Should I be running it in reverse? Small block, BTW. I never thought about drill direction, but there is absolutely no load on the drill, and it's just a 3/8. Even with no restriction up top, there should be some drag from moving 20W50 oil. The oil on the dipstick shows no discoloration, either. It's perfectly clear.

Clockwise... if you feel no drag on the drill... your
gonna have to drop the pan to see why you have no
load.. might even be a broke pick up.. while your
in there pull some rod and main caps to check the bearings

Re: One forward, two back... [Re: bill_greenwood] #1628009
06/03/14 04:06 AM
06/03/14 04:06 AM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Try rotaing the motor over slowly two full crankshaft revolutions, the cam will rotate one full revoltion for every two crank revolutions The key here is to slowly rtotae it so the oil can push through the cam journals to get to the oil passages in the block to the rocker shafts do you have oil pressure at all, did you ever have oil pressure since the most recent start up? If no oil pressure now and you had it before somethjing has gone south, if no oil pressure since start up look to see if oil is pouring out of the left side oil galley rear plug(by the distributor gear ) when priming it If so put the plug in

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: One forward, two back... [Re: Cab_Burge] #1628010
06/03/14 04:33 AM
06/03/14 04:33 AM
sweden
S
sshemi Offline
top fuel
sshemi  Offline
top fuel
S

sweden
If its a stroker check the pick up.
Ive had that happen where the crank just bearly hits the pick up and after a while it cracks.

Oh and btw there should be resistance even if you dont get oil to top.
With cold 20w50 it should be alot.

Re: One forward, two back... [Re: sshemi] #1628011
06/04/14 01:20 AM
06/04/14 01:20 AM
Red Deer, Alberta
B
top fuel
top fuel
B

Red Deer, Alberta
I had the drill rotating the right direction . In the end, it is what it is. In 90 minutes I've pulled the rad, carb, alternator, plugs, all but 4 header bolts, undone the motor plate bolts, loosened off two of the hardest to get at bell housing bolts. I'll get a hand with the hood tomorrow night and the engine will be on the stand before the second period of the Kings-Rangers game. I do want to try a potential trick, though. Does anyone know if it is possible to pull the engine with the starter in place? I leave the trans in the car. I just run a ratchet strap between the torsion bars and tighten it up before unbolting the block. It actually works pretty slick. If anyone has pulled this trick off, let me know. It's the smaller 90's starter off of a 318 Magnum. If I don't have to remove it, that's that much less Scotch and Advil after the work's over.
For the record, the SOB had oil pressure when I shut it off. I have learned to keep an eye on both oil and temp, especially when it's making those funny noises that say something in the upper valve train has "gang aft agley". Left the line at 130, got back to the motor home at 160 deg. 50 psi chugging along at idle down the return road.
I'll let ya's know what I finds.