Print Thread
"Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath #1625892
05/28/14 12:21 AM
05/28/14 12:21 AM
South
Squirrel_Cat Offline OP
Squirrel_Cat  Offline OP

South
I have a car that is currently a good driver quality car, I'd like to tear it down for a couple months and help it along for a few more years, not a full-blown restoration of any sort. I will be re-shooting the paint as well.

During this I will be replacing the rear frame rails under the trunk [rust] and repairing the t-section of the frame. I would like to clean up the bottom of the car and use Rust-Bullet or something like that to seal as much as I can up from future corrosion.

I have been considering putting the car on a rotisserie and having the bottom and engine blasted, is that advisable? I am trying not to make more work for myself by blasting the entire exterior as it's in pretty decent shape for the shape it's in.

My main goal is to get the car up to part structurally and try to stop any corrosion that I uncover while I'm under it.

- How would you do it? Hot pressure washer? Media blast on a rotisserie? Heat gun and a scraper?

- What rust converter/coating would you use?

Thanks!

1973 340 'Cuda 2013 Mustang GT
Re: "Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath [Re: Squirrel_Cat] #1625893
05/28/14 12:28 AM
05/28/14 12:28 AM
NY NY
340duster340 Offline
master
340duster340  Offline
master

NY NY
i recently did a cheap clean up on my dart, it was just surface rusted, so i didn't have to do any metal replacement. i used an air sander with 80 grit to clean up everything.

after that a good primer and top-coat are all you really need.

Re: "Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath [Re: Squirrel_Cat] #1625894
05/28/14 10:45 AM
05/28/14 10:45 AM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline
mopar
S

Georgia
On my Cuda, I followed some advise from a local restore guy and it worked very, very well.

1) I lifted the car and used a wire wheel on an angle-grinder to get as much off as possible. I went through about 10 - $6 wheels from harbor freight. The wire wheel is very fast and you can get to the metal. Be careful and wear a mask and eye protection as the wires will spin off and they love to target eyes!
2) For corners and hard to reach areas, I sand-blasted. I used a respirator and did this outdoors. Make sure you are bare metal completely with no signs of paint, rust, etc.
3) I used a rust blocker on any pitting or rusting the wheel would not remove.
4) Wipe down all areas to be painted with acetone to get up any remaining oil, grease, etc.
5) I used Summit's Chassis Shield which is a two-part epoxy and an excellent, excellent base that can be top-coated with whatever color you want later. you can spray it on bare metal and it looks beautiful by itself. When I change colors on my Cuda, I will just wipe down the epoxy and paint it to match the car.

In all, I spent about 3-4 weeks and about $400 on supplies but the results were stunning. The most important cleanup equipment I used was a car cover. With the top of the car covered, I kept all of the sand and all of the paint off the body and out of the interior. For the engine, I would put a sheet on top of the engine and cram butcher paper or sheet underneath since the sand will go EVERYWHERE.

This is not as good as a full blown restoration but you can do it at home and fairly cheaply.

8157898-underbody.jpg (54 downloads)
Re: "Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath [Re: Squirrel_Cat] #1625895
05/28/14 11:03 AM
05/28/14 11:03 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I have a car that is currently a good driver quality car, I'd like to tear it down for a couple months and help it along for a few more years, not a full-blown restoration of any sort. I will be re-shooting the paint as well.

During this I will be replacing the rear frame rails under the trunk [rust] and repairing the t-section of the frame. I would like to clean up the bottom of the car and use Rust-Bullet or something like that to seal as much as I can up from future corrosion.

I have been considering putting the car on a rotisserie and having the bottom and engine blasted, is that advisable? I am trying not to make more work for myself by blasting the entire exterior as it's in pretty decent shape for the shape it's in.

My main goal is to get the car up to part structurally and try to stop any corrosion that I uncover while I'm under it.

- How would you do it? Hot pressure washer? Media blast on a rotisserie? Heat gun and a scraper?

Thanks!

Hot pressure washer, there is no better way for your situation if your going to use a rotissierie. I have done it a bunch and also have done media blasting. A rented steam cleaner will do wonders and not fill your car with media.

I have plenty of pictures of steam cleaning, if you haven't done it then you don't know about it. Try it with a decent machine that does at least 4 gallons per minute and 200 degrees.

Re: "Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath [Re: Challenger 1] #1625896
05/28/14 12:57 PM
05/28/14 12:57 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks!

Hot pressure washer, there is no better way for your situation if your going to use a rotissierie. I have done it a bunch and also have done media blasting. A rented steam cleaner will do wonders and not fill your car with media.

I have plenty of pictures of steam cleaning, if you haven't done it then you don't know about it. Try it with a decent machine that does at least 4 gallons per minute and 200 degrees.

\
It will get the surface rust off too?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: "Stopping Rust" - cleaning and coating underneath [Re: Challenger 1] #1625897
05/28/14 07:58 PM
05/28/14 07:58 PM
South
Squirrel_Cat Offline OP
Squirrel_Cat  Offline OP

South
Quote:

Where can I rent a machine and do you know the daily cost? Thanks-

1973 340 'Cuda 2013 Mustang GT