Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Looking to get my inserts restored and believe them to be vacuum metalized, though some believe triple chrome plated.

I'm having difficulty validating if triple chrome was an option for plastic in 1970.

Based on the way the finish reacts with a little scotch-brite my money is on vacuum metal.

Thoughts?

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622803
05/21/14 12:41 AM
05/21/14 12:41 AM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
My thoughts would be to buy the BE&A inserts and don't look back...The pieces I've used from them are dead on to the originals and you'd never know they were swapped out...

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: screamindriver] #1622804
05/21/14 01:51 AM
05/21/14 01:51 AM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
That may be, but been so disappointed with parts (not theirs, in general) in the past I usually try to refinish everything.
I did call BE&A and he said his are triple chrome, price is comparable to having Pauls Chrome Plating redo my originals. . . if triple chrome is correct for the part.

Call me crazy but its nice having as much original as I can.

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622805
05/21/14 09:37 AM
05/21/14 09:37 AM
NW Ohio
6pkaar Offline
super stock
6pkaar  Offline
super stock

NW Ohio
Mine were triple chrome...

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: 6pkaar] #1622806
05/21/14 10:20 AM
05/21/14 10:20 AM
Calgary, Alberta Canada
m46rat Offline
top fuel
m46rat  Offline
top fuel

Calgary, Alberta Canada
www.gcartrim.com You can't go wrong with them.

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622807
05/21/14 02:20 PM
05/21/14 02:20 PM
Harrisburg, Pa.
screamindriver Offline
master
screamindriver  Offline
master

Harrisburg, Pa.
Quote:

That may be, but been so disappointed with parts (not theirs, in general) in the past I usually try to refinish everything.
I did call BE&A and he said his are triple chrome, price is comparable to having Pauls Chrome Plating redo my originals. . . if triple chrome is correct for the part.

Call me crazy but its nice having as much original as I can.

I hear what you're saying...But another point to touch on is how some of the detail is lost when you send original parts out to be refinished/replated no matter how good their reputations are...The excuses and back-peddling is all too common when the stuff does'nt turn out as it should be....Although in this case there really should'nt be any major issues with a simple,plastic rectangle other than the mounting tabs staying intact...

If you go the replating route please post the results I'd like to see how they turned out...

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622808
05/21/14 07:11 PM
05/21/14 07:11 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
IMHO, your better off using the BEAParts, but if you want a plater that can reproduce actual copper/ chrome plating that was done on assorted plastic pcs by/for the major automotive manufactures during the 70's, Advance Plating in Nashville Tenn. Steve and his wife run nothing but a custom plating shop geared for the motorhead/biker, every facet of plating is offered.....but you will pay dearly, but their work is top rate, no monkey business

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: DAYCLONA] #1622809
05/21/14 11:35 PM
05/21/14 11:35 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Quote:

IMHO, your better off using the BEAParts, but if you want a plater that can reproduce actual copper/ chrome plating that was done on assorted plastic pcs by/for the major automotive manufactures during the 70's, Advance Plating in Nashville Tenn. Steve and his wife run nothing but a custom plating shop geared for the motorhead/biker, every facet of plating is offered.....but you will pay dearly, but their work is top rate, no monkey business

I contacted them about two months ago on this very topic and they told me they don't do chrome on plastic, so with your post I checked their web page and its listed under new services. I'll try contacting them again tomorrow.

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622810
05/22/14 05:33 PM
05/22/14 05:33 PM
Dry Heat AZ
A
AAR#2 Offline OP
super stock
AAR#2  Offline OP
super stock
A

Dry Heat AZ
Quote:

Quote:

I contacted them about two months ago on this very topic and they told me they don't do chrome on plastic, so with your post I checked their web page and its listed under new services. I'll try contacting them again tomorrow.

Looks like their out, sent in a request and here's a portion of the response;
"We can plate some plastic but not all plastics. We will not be able to plate these parts. With our process they would most likely warp"

Re: AAR, Gran Coupe Chrome Grill Inserts [Re: AAR#2] #1622811
05/22/14 06:07 PM
05/22/14 06:07 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Looks like their out, sent in a request and here's a portion of the response;
"We can plate some plastic but not all plastics. We will not be able to plate these parts. With our process they would most likely warp"

Initially that's why I said you were better off with the BEAParts, a lot of original parts that are chromed as they age go thru a chemical change, I bring a lot of parts to platers, and on occasions they ask me if I can get the part(s) repro or NOS, as they won't offer a guarantee that the parts won't warp or dissolve (esp old potmetal pcs) and they don't want no when they tell you your parts are junk or gone after being stripped electrochemically or during a re plating process, so either NOS or BEAParts seems to be your choice, either that or gamble your "original" parts with another plater, vacuumized aluminum "chrome" is a very non destructive process, but for an external part, it's not practical for long term durability