05/13/14 01:11 AM
05/13/14 01:11 AM
Vista, California
67Satty Offline
pro stock
67Satty  Offline
pro stock

Vista, California
Once you decide on the best method for setting the pinion angle, you can download a free app for your Smartphone that turns it into an angle finder tool. Then just hold the edge of your phone against a flat surface and measure away.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Sport440] #1618459
05/13/14 04:11 AM
05/13/14 04:11 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Plenty of functional vids out on Youtube to show that you set it off of the parallel planes between the tranny centerline and the pinion centerline. Somebody link them up. A picture is worth a thousand words, a vid even more.

The driveshaft can become part of the equation because of overall operating angles. But not likely on our race cars, jacked up 4 wheel drives , yep.

Just because there are plenty of videos, doesn't mean they are right for a race car............remember, we are RACING here, not trying to make the joints last 100k miles

Monte

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Monte_Smith] #1618460
05/13/14 07:41 AM
05/13/14 07:41 AM
Indy
496 A-body Offline
enthusiast
496 A-body  Offline
enthusiast

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

Plenty of functional vids out on Youtube to show that you set it off of the parallel planes between the tranny centerline and the pinion centerline. Somebody link them up. A picture is worth a thousand words, a vid even more.

The driveshaft can become part of the equation because of overall operating angles. But not likely on our race cars, jacked up 4 wheel drives , yep.

Just because there are plenty of videos, doesn't mean they are right for a race car............remember, we are RACING here, not trying to make the joints last 100k miles

Monte

See attached chart

8143045-Pinon2.jpeg (113 downloads)
Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: 496 A-body] #1618461
05/13/14 08:59 AM
05/13/14 08:59 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
When building race car point the pinion at the trans tail shaft then adjust the finish angle of the pinion to the driveshaft for the type of suspension used.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: B G Racing] #1618462
05/13/14 10:49 AM
05/13/14 10:49 AM
Arlington, Tx.
B
BJS racing Offline
top fuel
BJS racing  Offline
top fuel
B

Arlington, Tx.
Quote:

When building race car point the pinion at the trans tail shaft then adjust the finish angle of the pinion to the driveshaft for the type of suspension used.

Or just guess like Quicktree does!

Back in the swing of things at Painless again! Great to be back!
Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: B G Racing] #1618463
05/13/14 11:00 AM
05/13/14 11:00 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

This is pretty much how I do it but I set the engine/trans
in the car and set the angle of the engine so it points
in a straight line(I use a laser in the rear main
and line it up on the pinion so its all in line).. then
when done roll the pinion to what is needed(1 or 2
degrees)

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: BJS racing] #1618464
05/13/14 01:40 PM
05/13/14 01:40 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

Quote:

Quote:

Or just guess like Quicktree does!

it works, just like all the other methods

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Sport440] #1618465
05/13/14 04:12 PM
05/13/14 04:12 PM
westerly, ri. usa
440lebaron Offline
top fuel
440lebaron  Offline
top fuel

westerly, ri. usa

all parts are sold as is, all parts are considered used no warranties or returns
paypal/check/money order, shipping is from zip 02891, buyer pays paypal fees 24% IRS 1099A plus 3% of part price, check/money order preferred
site is not monitored 24/7 there might be a delay in response

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: 496 A-body] #1618466
05/13/14 06:08 PM
05/13/14 06:08 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Monte

See attached chart

Sorry, but I don't need that worthless chart to know how to set the pinion angle in my race car.......LOL!!

Only ONE thing to remember in a race car......Angles eat power. So while "under power" the want the driveline in as straight a line as it can possibly be within the parameters of how the parts are mounted. Set pinion angle accordingly. NOTHING else matters.

Monte

Monte

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Monte_Smith] #1618467
05/13/14 10:03 PM
05/13/14 10:03 PM
Fulton County, PA
C
CMcAllister Offline
Mr. Helpful
CMcAllister  Offline
Mr. Helpful
C

Fulton County, PA
To answer the question, it is a Miller C-4224 Inclinometer. Have one in my box for nostalgia's sake but use a SPI digital angle finder to do set-up.

If the results don't match the theory, change the theory.
Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: CMcAllister] #1618468
05/13/14 10:16 PM
05/13/14 10:16 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

looks like a converted windshield wiper arm or a hood hinge

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Monte_Smith] #1618469
05/14/14 02:13 AM
05/14/14 02:13 AM
Canton, Ohio
S
Sport440 Offline
master
Sport440  Offline
master
S

Canton, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

[q
See attached chart

Sorry, but I don't need that worthless chart to know how to set the pinion angle in my race car.......LOL!!

Only ONE thing to remember in a race car......Angles eat power. So while "under power" the want the driveline in as straight a line as it can possibly be within the parameters of how the parts are mounted. Set pinion angle accordingly. NOTHING else matters.

Yep the goal is Parallel "under power" in a "straight line" like you say.

But , with the majority of the cars here, the Parallel wont be in a straight line.

Therefor, the same goal is to be Parallel "under power" even if the tranny centerline and pinion centerline are not pointed at one anther like some of you race car builders would do then adjust from that.

The Goal is the same.

The Argument,

Measure off the pinion/driveshaft

Measure off the pinion/trannycenterline.

IMO, If you havent pointed your tranny centerline to the pinion.

Measure tranny centerline VS pinion centerline.

80% of us here fit that.

If you built your ride for a Parallel tranny and pinion angle centerline setup, you can use the driveshaft method and be just as accurate.

Further, besides all of the above, there will be no perfect Pinion angle setup in the real Dynamic world for most of us here, the movement at the rear is pretty dynamic.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Sport440] #1618470
05/14/14 04:26 AM
05/14/14 04:26 AM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
No......we really DON'T mean the same thing. Because in a stock bodied car, the trans is where it is. I don't care what the angle of the trans is, because there is nothing I can do about it. I don't care if the trans and pinion are parallel. My goal is the same......as close to straight as possible while "under power". So on that type car, I set the pinion angle as the reference between the driveshaft and the pinion. I don't care about "operating angles". I want it straight as possible, because straight eats less power. Also not concerned about how many people tell me that is wrong, because I have been doing it this way for over 30 years. Was TAUGHT to do it that way by a professional chassis builder and it has never given me an issue.

And trust me, I understand all about "operating angles" as I used to set shaft driven equipment everyday in plants.....But again, this is NOT something that has to run for thousands of miles, or joints last forever. These are RACE CARS

Monte

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Monte_Smith] #1618471
05/14/14 09:35 AM
05/14/14 09:35 AM
Indy
496 A-body Offline
enthusiast
496 A-body  Offline
enthusiast

Indy
See attached chart

Jeez, the only reason for posting that chart was to show that a driveshaft is NOT necessary to set pinion angle. This topic seems to get tempers flaring. Bottom line is trans and pinion need to be equal and opposite angles under full power. If trans centerline slopes 2° down toward rear of car then pinion needs to slope 2° up toward front of car under full power.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: 496 A-body] #1618472
05/14/14 10:00 AM
05/14/14 10:00 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

See attached chart

Jeez, the only reason for posting that chart was to show that a driveshaft is NOT necessary to set pinion angle. This topic seems to get tempers flaring. Bottom line is trans and pinion need to be equal and opposite angles under full power. If trans centerline slopes 2° down toward rear of car then pinion needs to slope 2° up toward front of car under full power.

On the chassis cars I build there is ZERO angle at
load.. no parallel of anything... its a straight line
as I said earlier in this

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1618473
05/14/14 10:14 AM
05/14/14 10:14 AM
Indy
496 A-body Offline
enthusiast
496 A-body  Offline
enthusiast

Indy
Quote:

Quote:

See attached chart

On the chassis cars I build there is ZERO angle at
load.. no parallel of anything... its a straight line
as I said earlier in this

That is great for people with the luxury of having a tube chassis but for cars using factory k member mounted engine and trans x member there is generally an angle to deal with. And in theory 0° is still an angular measurement and the equal and opposite angle is 0° LOL

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: 496 A-body] #1618474
05/14/14 11:15 AM
05/14/14 11:15 AM
Eighty Four, PA
B G Racing Offline
master
B G Racing  Offline
master

Eighty Four, PA
From an engineering perspective the angle at the trans and at the pinion should parallel each other and the appropiate degrees of upward movement should be subtracted at the pinion and the pinion be set at that angle.The driveshaft angle will mimic the angle of the trans output shaft in relation to the pinion shaft.Once you establish this angle corrections should be made to insure you are within u-joint opperating range and not at any bind,then you can set the pinion angle for your type of suspension application.You can adjust operating range and parallel the front and back joints by raising and lowering the trans mount or tilting the rearend housing by bar adjustments,pad shims,or welded pad locations,these methods are also used for final pinion settings.
I must agree with Monte that the best setup is to minimise or eliminate any angle except what is necessary for making the joints even under load.With most cars you have to deal with where the trans and rearend are located and do the best under those circumstances,but when building a car,build with the best alignment possible,which is a straight drive train under load.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1618475
05/14/14 11:41 AM
05/14/14 11:41 AM
Polson, MT
DoctorDiff Offline
master
DoctorDiff  Offline
master

Polson, MT
If you build a chassis car with zero angle through both U-joints at load, the pinion is aligned with the transmission under power.

If you move this rearend downward 2", the pinion is parallel to the transmission. The result is the straightest, most efficient driveline set up possible for a 2-joint shaft when the transmission and pinion do not operate on the same plane.

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: 496 A-body] #1618476
05/14/14 01:33 PM
05/14/14 01:33 PM
North Alabama
M
Monte_Smith Offline
master
Monte_Smith  Offline
master
M

North Alabama
Quote:

See attached chart

Bottom line is trans and pinion need to be equal and opposite angles under full power. If trans centerline slopes 2° down toward rear of car then pinion needs to slope 2° up toward front of car under full power.

This is where we highly disagree. Under power, I want the driveline as straight as it can possibly be given the positioning of the trans and rear. Unless it is a chassis car, chances of it being built with the trans pointing at pinion and on same planes are slim to none. So on the average type, stock chassis race car, again UNDER POWER I want the driveshaft and pinion to form a straight line and the angle at the trans just is what it is. I am not worried about what are considered proper "operating angles". I want as straight as it can be, because again, that eats less power. One angle takes less effort to turn than two. That's pretty basic stuff.

As far as tempers flaring........mine sure isn't. A debate doesn't bother me and neither does somebody trying to tell me I am doing something wrong. When I have something that has worked for me for over 40 years, without incident, going to be pretty hard to convince me it's wrong. Especially when I KNOW that people who know more than me also do it the same way.

Monte

Re: WHAT IS THE TOOL TO SET PINION ANGLES [Re: Monte_Smith] #1618477
05/14/14 01:47 PM
05/14/14 01:47 PM
Q
Quicktree Offline
I Win
Quicktree  Offline
I Win
Q

how much power are we talking about? that number may make rethink? 1hp-50?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4