04/28/14 12:15 PM
04/28/14 12:15 PM
Stroudsburg, PA
Erik Offline OP
master
Erik  Offline OP
master

Stroudsburg, PA
Now that I have the rear and the drive shaft for my Coronet, I need to get them prepped. The drive shaft has been sitting out for so long that the U joints are rusted solid. Any tips on getting those old u joints out? Should I take it and get them pressed out?

1970 Challenger Convertible soon to be T/A convertible

Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.
Re: Rusted U joints [Re: Erik] #1613100
04/28/14 01:10 PM
04/28/14 01:10 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
driving em out is better than pressing em out. Clips out, drive 1 side out aways so you can get at the cap & remove it then drive it the other way till you can get at the opposite cap. with the new ujoints installed they MUST be free in both planes (front yoke) and 1 plane on the rear ujoint. If not support the shaft horizontle just off the ground (so the ujoint/yoke is unsupported) then whack each ear (2) (connector piece between cap & shaft itself) with a BFH as needed till everyting moves smoothly. Hit one ear several times then turn the shaft 180 & hit the other ear. Setting the shaft on a bench supported along its length with the end you are whacking hanging free just over the edge works. Free in both planes means you move the yoke back & forth thru it's travel both ways (up & down & sideways) & it must be smooth then grab the rear ujoint & move it back & forth thu it's travel in the 1 plane

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth