03/31/14 04:34 AM
03/31/14 04:34 AM
NY
K
Killerinc Offline OP
Killerinc  Offline OP
K

NY
Where can i get a Engine compartment complete harness for a 74 Barracuda for a good price. Not a universal one.

Re: Engine compartment complete harness [Re: Killerinc] #1601038
03/31/14 06:30 AM
03/31/14 06:30 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Year One's M&H Chrysler harness, seeing your doing a big block swap, IIRC they offer a Bblk swap harness for the 72-4 E bodies, set up for electronic Chrysler ignition....M&H harness's are pretty much plug and play

Re: Engine compartment complete harness [Re: DAYCLONA] #1601039
03/31/14 10:12 AM
03/31/14 10:12 AM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline
mopar
S

Georgia
So I picked up one of those and they do fit well. For the harness I got, they ran the horn and washer wires together with the alt and distributor wires so I separated them with a knife and re taped them with some friction tape so they looked like my original and ran separate along the firewall and then the passenger side of the compartment. It is also a good time to add a hot wire for the carb if you opted for one with electric choke. You can connect it to the double-blue on the ballast connector.

While you have everything out, you may also want to consider replacing the front headlight wiring harness too since it is not that expensive and it contains the wires that connect the bulkhead to the battery and starter relay as well as the front lights.

While you have both of those new wire sets, you my want to consider running direct wire between the alternator and the starter relay to take the load off the wiring harness in the bulkhead and then tape everything up so they look stock and far better charging and less risk than before.

I think I spent about $300-400 for both harnesses and I got the bulkhead bypass wire, fusible link and connectors from Mad Electrical. As a bonus, Mark spend about an hour with me on the phone and I learned more during that time than I would have ever imagined.

With all of that and about 6 rolls of friction tape your shiny new harness can look absolutely stock and provide far better charging and less risk than before. This is not a complete electrical repair guide of course but some quick general ideas that worked well for me.

Re: Engine compartment complete harness [Re: Steve Bryant] #1601040
03/31/14 06:59 PM
03/31/14 06:59 PM
NY
K
Killerinc Offline OP
Killerinc  Offline OP
K

NY
Curious as to why then they dont fix that charging issue if they know it was a problem?
Would a universal one be better, more sturdier do you think?

Re: Engine compartment complete harness [Re: Killerinc] #1601041
04/01/14 09:49 AM
04/01/14 09:49 AM
Georgia
S
Steve Bryant Offline
mopar
Steve Bryant  Offline
mopar
S

Georgia
The harness is meant as a direct replacement so it does not correct anything really.

Now is a perfect time for you to think about correcting the charging defect for sure. It will make a big difference for overall safety and it will help to brighten up your lights. A common side-effect is brighter/crisper interior lights as well. The fix is very, very easy and there are lots of docs out there that explain the gauge wire, fusible link, etc. On all wiring like that be sure to crimp the connectors, solder the connectors and then use shrink tube on them.

I pulled my 318 to do a 440/4 Speed changeover so I am just now wrapping up what you are wanting to do in respect to the wiring. I really like the YearOne harness they are compatible with discount codes so you can save quite a bit with a 15-25% code.