03/03/14 12:52 PM
03/03/14 12:52 PM
ME
79machocharger Offline OP
master
79machocharger  Offline OP
master

ME
Does any one sell a battery relocation kit to the trunk. Or can someone give me a list of what I will need. The car is a 69 coronet.
I'm putting it in the trunk as I'm running the factory power steering pump for 2003 5.9 magnum and it will be really tight to the battery tray and really hard to check the fluid lever or fill.

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: 79machocharger] #1587342
03/03/14 01:07 PM
03/03/14 01:07 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
I'd suggest welding cables of a heavy gauge & know the lengths you need ahead of time (do your measureing) & have em cut em to length at the time of purchase then crimp on the terminals with their special tool. wouldn't hurt to solder em also. I ran a short length from the neg post to the floor then the from the positive post forward to the starter large lug & from the starter large lug to the starter relay large "batt" stud. I plumbed the ammeter in series between the starter and the relay to show any current coming to or from the battery. Everything else up front (except that) stayed the same. Some ain't comfortable with the large cable being hot all the time but welding cable insulation is very thick & as you know you dont route it near sharp edges that will fray it over time & you secure it with Adel clamps regularly along its' length. This keeps everything simple/straitforward & worked for me. I dont remember what gauge I used but iirc it was either 1 ought or 2 ought but this was for the stock car that was dealing with hot restarts on hot summer nights & I wanted no voltage drop that would embarrass me with a no start. If you dont want it hot all the time be sure & use a "continuous duty" furd solenoid rather than a common parts house item & that route is a more complicated setup. EDIT run the alt to the starter relay

Last edited by RapidRobert; 03/03/14 02:02 PM.

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: RapidRobert] #1587343
03/03/14 01:14 PM
03/03/14 01:14 PM
Madison, Wisconsin
chrisnben Offline
super stock
chrisnben  Offline
super stock

Madison, Wisconsin
I don't like the welding cable deal myself. I use 1 ga. kit from Summit racing. Also, as Robert mentioned, use the solenoid in the trunk area for the hot wire. Then the big + cable is only hot when cranking. You will run a 8ga. wire also to the front relay from this solenoid to power everything else. Of course, to be NHRA legal, you need a cut-off switch in back too. You can use the negative cable for this inline- much safer as well. Me don't like fires

'70 Cuda "Badfish 2"- in the works

Home of MoPar University- We school 'em one at a time!!
Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: chrisnben] #1587344
03/03/14 01:51 PM
03/03/14 01:51 PM
ME
79machocharger Offline OP
master
79machocharger  Offline OP
master

ME
Great info guys, thanks.

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: 79machocharger] #1587345
03/03/14 02:02 PM
03/03/14 02:02 PM
bethlehem pa
M
mikemee1331 Offline
master
mikemee1331  Offline
master
M

bethlehem pa
Mancini, Summit to name a couple sell complete kits..

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: mikemee1331] #1587346
03/03/14 03:16 PM
03/03/14 03:16 PM
Overpriced Housing Central
RobX4406 Offline
I Live Here
RobX4406  Offline
I Live Here

Overpriced Housing Central
Has NHRA changed the cut off switch rule since 2011?

The 2011 rule book specifically stated and in bold letters that the cut off must be in the positive line. You can't use the negative gable to be legal.

Excerpt from 2011 rule book, General Regulations 8:4
Quote:

This cutoff switch must be connected to the positive side of the electrical system and must stop all electrical functions including magneto ignition.

Rarely have they looked in the trunk to verify which wire is in line, but, you never know. Most of the time they have you start the car then throw the switch, if it dies, you pass...

Good thing they spend more time on that 2 year seat belt cert...

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: RapidRobert] #1587347
03/03/14 03:59 PM
03/03/14 03:59 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

I'd suggest welding cables of a heavy gauge & know the lengths you need ahead of time (do your measureing) & have em cut em to length at the time of purchase then crimp on the terminals with their special tool. wouldn't hurt to solder em also. I ran a short length from the neg post to the floor then the from the positive post forward to the starter large lug & from the starter large lug to the starter relay large "batt" stud. I plumbed the ammeter in series between the starter and the relay to show any current coming to or from the battery. Everything else up front (except that) stayed the same. Some ain't comfortable with the large cable being hot all the time but welding cable insulation is very thick & as you know you dont route it near sharp edges that will fray it over time & you secure it with Adel clamps regularly along its' length. This keeps everything simple/straitforward & worked for me. I dont remember what gauge I used but iirc it was either 1 ought or 2 ought but this was for the stock car that was dealing with hot restarts on hot summer nights & I wanted no voltage drop that would embarrass me with a no start. If you dont want it hot all the time be sure & use a "continuous duty" furd solenoid rather than a common parts house item & that route is a more complicated setup. EDIT run the alt to the starter relay

I like welding cable also for battery cables. They are lot's heavier, so I think they carry current better?

I have made many custom battery cables with 1/0 and 2/0 welding cables. I've made them for big trucks and race cars. I made all the cables that powers the aircraft starter we use to start our blown hemi.

I have had a welding cable in my 74 challenger since 1985 or so when I put the battery back there. I'm not sure if I used 1/0 or 2/0 to go from the front to the back. But I can say it's never been a problem for me as I have driven my car all over the country is some really extreme and hot conditions and it always started.

Lastly the way I make the cables are to clamp a eyelet into my vice and using a map gas torch fill the eyelet full of solder, reg solder you use to solder wires. When it's full and hot with the torch on it, you slide the cable down into the eyelet and then remove the torch. I have never crimped any eyelets and have never had one fail or cor road. I do use a piece of shrink sleeve to finish it off. I have used these in battery boxes of big trucks where there's lot's of salt also.

Works better than some battery cables I've bought.

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: 79machocharger] #1587348
03/12/14 02:03 AM
03/12/14 02:03 AM
Hawaii
B
bigboysurf58 Offline
bigboysurf58  Offline
B

Hawaii
Taylor makes a good kit that i use in my 69 RR. Comes with the
box, hardware, cables, choice of 1gauge welding cable, pn48104,
or 1gauge battery cable, pn48103. It was fairly straight foward, did the job in couple hours, deciding how to route the cable is probably the hardest thing about it.

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: bigboysurf58] #1587349
03/12/14 11:09 AM
03/12/14 11:09 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Lastly the way I make the cables are to clamp a eyelet into my vice and using a map gas torch fill the eyelet full of solder, reg solder you use to solder wires. When it's full and hot with the torch on it, you slide the cable down into the eyelet and then remove the torch.

Without heating the cable the solder does not flow up and "tin" the individual strands. What you end up with is the solder around the outside of the cable and that's all. Also, because the cable isn't heated you possibly have a "cold joint". Yes, its holding the terminal on and conducting electricity, but not to its full potential. The joint would be much better if the insulation was peeled back and the cable heated along with the terminal, use flux on both the cable and the terminal and then feed solder into it. When cool, use a solvent to clean away any remaining flux, pull the insulation back over the cable and cover the seam with heat shrink.

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: Stanton] #1587350
03/12/14 11:10 AM
03/12/14 11:10 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Check these guys out for a relo kit. They have some other cool wiring stuff for Mopars too.

http://www.madelectrical.com/

Re: battery relocation kits to the trunk? [Re: Stanton] #1587351
03/12/14 12:34 PM
03/12/14 12:34 PM
Ohio
J
jlatessa Offline
pro stock
jlatessa  Offline
pro stock
J

Ohio
I agree, I first make a mechanical crimp for extra strength and heat conductivity then
heat the lug until the solder flows and fills the lug watching to see it wicking into the cable strands too.

A wet rag to quickly cool it so the wire insul. doesn't degrade and you're done.....Joe

Last edited by jlatessa; 03/12/14 12:36 PM.