11/22/08 04:30 AM
11/22/08 04:30 AM
Kahleefahwniah
69CopperCoronet Offline OP
enthusiast
69CopperCoronet  Offline OP
enthusiast

Kahleefahwniah
ive been googling like crazy to see if anyone has done a 5.7 hemi swap into any mopar, particularly a b-body, but using the 545rfe tranny. i recently picked up a hemi and trans from a 2k5 ram to drop in the coronet. so far i havent found anyone whos done this swap, but i have heard of lots of potential issues with doing it.

some people say you need to modify the trans tunnel. others say its a bolt in.

lokar offers a shifter for it... so some people must be using it.

crossmember?

and what to do about the speedometer?
i thought about swapping in a 9.25" axle from a ram or dakota since they're basically the same size as my existing 8.75" and to have the speed sensor, but the sensor is an ABS sensor which I understand is not the same deal as a vehicle speed sensor?

any thoughts or helpful links?

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154777
11/22/08 01:11 PM
11/22/08 01:11 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
I can't say how the trans will fit in the tunnel, but sure you would have to make some sort of new crossmemeber (not that big of a deal..)
On the diff, I'd stick with the 8.75 for sure. As for a speedo, you could go a couple of ways.. You could use an aftermarket electronic driven speedo off of the speed sensor on the transmission, or you can buy a little box that converts the electronic signal to a mechanical cable output and keep all the stock dash that way (A couple of companies make them IIRC..I've got one here actually for a swap I am doing)

There are a few Moparts memebers who've put new generation Hemi's into older cars, so that side of it should be pretty well covered for you at least.
Don't forget about upgrading your fuel system as well

(I am doing a late model engine into early car swap myself at the moment too...not Mopar though )

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154778
11/22/08 05:03 PM
11/22/08 05:03 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I'm looking into doing something similar myself.

I just put some links into this thread that may help you or others.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...ID=#Post4831762

I know Resto Rick is well into getting that RFE to fit his B-Body and I have included a link to his site in that 4.7 thread...

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? #154779
11/23/08 10:25 AM
11/23/08 10:25 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline
master
Darius  Offline
master

Sacramento, Ca
I am working on this swap/install in a 70 GTX.
I was hoping to at least have fitted the motor and trans by now but have been WAAAAYYYY delayed by major rust issues. Besides major progress on the rust repair, all I have managed to do is remove the motor and trans from the wrecked 07 Charger I bought.
There will be an AlterKtion front suspension for mounting the motor to and there WILL be some hump modification but have not been able to even go there yet.
My plan is to retain the 8 3/4 rear but install gear as close to the same ratio as I can get to the stock set up to get started with. Once the swap is done (I'm taking the computers and everything from the donor)and we get the car running good, we will start playing with different set ups (if I even feel it is worth it....this will be a driver not a racer of any kind).

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty
Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: Darius] #154780
11/23/08 11:45 AM
11/23/08 11:45 AM
Kahleefahwniah
enthusiast
enthusiast

Kahleefahwniah
mine is going to be a driver too. maybe in the future, when im rich and all (right) i'll start modding the motor, but for now the increase in mileage and driveability couldn't hurt.

anyway as I was mentioning the biggest hurdle i've run into other than the ever-present lack of funds is how to rig up a speedometer and cruise control setup. the stock 545rfe trannys do not have a VSS hole on the tailshafts. Ive heard tons of different things about where the ECU gets its VSS signal. some people are saying the tranny output sensor, others are saying the ABS sensor on the rearend of the late-model vehicle.

the research i've done into the ABS module seems that it is an analog hall-effect sensor that puts out a certain pulse-per-revolution of the ring gear in the differential. the ABS on the donor vehicle uses this to assess if the wheels are turning while the brake are on. then this signal is supposedly converted by the ABS module to digital and communicated to the ECU. there is where you get your vehicle speed for the speedometer.
now that is what i've heard. I don't know if it's correct, but people with late-model trucks that have their speedo freak out usually need to replace the ABS sensor on the rearend, leading me to believe this is indeed the case.

a lot of people on here seem to think you can tap into the trans output shaft speed sensor on the trans for VSS. however it would definetly appear as if you'd have to have a module or some programming in the ECU to convert that signal, which tells you how fast the tailshaft is spinning, into vehicle speed. I don't know if this is a pulse-per-mile or pulse-per-revolution setup.

im going to call autometer, hotwire auto, and dakota digital this week to pick their brains about the issue and see how their products would work with this setup.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154781
11/23/08 11:52 AM
11/23/08 11:52 AM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

im going to call autometer, hotwire auto, and dakota digital this week to pick their brains about the issue and see how their products would work with this setup.

The one I have here is from TCI ? I think..have to check the box to be sure on the brand if you like...just another place to check with (I can thumb through the paperwork with it later too)

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154782
11/23/08 01:30 PM
11/23/08 01:30 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

mine is going to be a driver too. maybe in the future, when im rich and all (right) i'll start modding the motor, but for now the increase in mileage and driveability couldn't hurt.

anyway as I was mentioning the biggest hurdle i've run into other than the ever-present lack of funds is how to rig up a speedometer and cruise control setup. the stock 545rfe trannys do not have a VSS hole on the tailshafts. Ive heard tons of different things about where the ECU gets its VSS signal. some people are saying the tranny output sensor, others are saying the ABS sensor on the rearend of the late-model vehicle.

the research i've done into the ABS module seems that it is an analog hall-effect sensor that puts out a certain pulse-per-revolution of the ring gear in the differential. the ABS on the donor vehicle uses this to assess if the wheels are turning while the brake are on. then this signal is supposedly converted by the ABS module to digital and communicated to the ECU. there is where you get your vehicle speed for the speedometer.
now that is what i've heard. I don't know if it's correct, but people with late-model trucks that have their speedo freak out usually need to replace the ABS sensor on the rearend, leading me to believe this is indeed the case.

a lot of people on here seem to think you can tap into the trans output shaft speed sensor on the trans for VSS. however it would definetly appear as if you'd have to have a module or some programming in the ECU to convert that signal, which tells you how fast the tailshaft is spinning, into vehicle speed. I don't know if this is a pulse-per-mile or pulse-per-revolution setup.

I'd sure like to know how it all works for the 5.7 as well. Perhaps some or all of that info will apply to the 4.7.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: OzHemi] #154783
11/23/08 05:40 PM
11/23/08 05:40 PM
Kahleefahwniah
enthusiast
enthusiast

Kahleefahwniah
Quote:

The one I have here is from TCI ? I think..have to check the box to be sure on the brand if you like...just another place to check with (I can thumb through the paperwork with it later too)

oz, i know what you're talking about with the box. ive seen them advertised for around $300. the issue again is, does the box want a pulse-per-mile signal from a typical VSS, or can it comprehend the ABS sensor signal? that's what I need to figure out. I'm also inclined to go with an electronic tach anyway- it will give me a good excuse for a future rallye dash swap. and i wonder if the box would solve my issues with interfacing with the ECU for cruise control? i don't know right now, these are things I need to work out in the coming days.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154784
11/23/08 05:56 PM
11/23/08 05:56 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
Quote:

Quote:

oz, i know what you're talking about with the box. ive seen them advertised for around $300. the issue again is, does the box want a pulse-per-mile signal from a typical VSS, or can it comprehend the ABS sensor signal? that's what I need to figure out. I'm also inclined to go with an electronic tach anyway- it will give me a good excuse for a future rallye dash swap. and i wonder if the box would solve my issues with interfacing with the ECU for cruise control? i don't know right now, these are things I need to work out in the coming days.

Just looking at the paperwork with it now..

It has a bunch of dip switchs, and looks like you just set it for pulses per mile, does not say it cares where it comes from ?

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154785
11/23/08 11:28 PM
11/23/08 11:28 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
A friend of mine did this swap with his 93 Ramcharger - obviously not the same chassis, but he IS using the 545rfe. His swap was done by a shop - Speed & Performance? in Mena, AR - and he said it all nearly perfect, except that the cruise control doesn't work now. Something that the Hemi PCM runs, and there's some issue with the CAN buss controller or something that I don't understand at all. I need to talk with him again, it's been several months since I did last, and I still haven't actually RIDDEN in the truck yet. FWIW, he loves it. The extra 100hp over the 5.9L Maggie it replaced is nice, and the 2nd overdrive makes it a treat to drive on the highway he says.

Clair

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: Clair_Davis] #154786
11/23/08 11:41 PM
11/23/08 11:41 PM
Garden Grove, CA
OzHemi Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger
OzHemi  Offline
Penguin-hating Ginger

Garden Grove, CA
S & P does alot of swap stuff...wiring looms, mount, pulley setups, etc.
I bought one of thier modified LS1 oil pans a while back (they where the first doing it, now you can buy them off the shelf)

They also do tons of retrofit wiring looms. I might be going with them on my swap actually (depends on what I end up with for a donor)

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: OzHemi] #154787
11/24/08 01:09 AM
11/24/08 01:09 AM
Kahleefahwniah
enthusiast
enthusiast

Kahleefahwniah
Ive looked at S&P. They're excellent for getting ideas, but it takes deep pockets to afford most of their stuff, a lot of which they are the middleman for. Their installations are excellenttho, if you want a show-worthy install.
For instance, their harnesses are actually done by Hotwire Auto www.hotwireauto.com You'll save around $300 going direct to the source. hotwire's ECU flashes are cheaper too.
I will stop there, but it always pays to shop around.

The non-working cruise is what I want to solve with all this research and figuring and whatnot. I've noticed with my dakota rental that it gets significantly better mileage with cruise on, meaning the torque converter is locked up. It's not just about having OD, when the converter clutch is engaged you eliminate the efficiency loss of the converter.

So really what I'm trying to do is find a way to have a module communicate proper vehicle speed signals to the ECU.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154788
11/24/08 10:13 PM
11/24/08 10:13 PM
Dayton, Ohio
W
wldtm Offline
super stock
wldtm  Offline
super stock
W

Dayton, Ohio
i am about 99% positive a 05 hemi ram gets vehicle speed from the rear sensor and it sends it to the anti lock brake module (pretty sure it is a digital signal) then on a dedicated circuit it goes from the anti lock module to the PCM (8000 pulse per mile). the pcm sends out 5v and the brake module pulses it to ground to represent the 8k pulse. dakota digital makes a signal converter, but i am not sure it is going to work. i am in the process of working on the cruise for my car right now.

good luck sounds like a neat conversion

justin

Interested in having you car wired? Drag car, street car, EFI swap? PM for details
Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154789
11/24/08 11:33 PM
11/24/08 11:33 PM
Fort Worth, TX
Clair_Davis Offline
master
Clair_Davis  Offline
master

Fort Worth, TX
Going back through my old emails, I see that on my buddy's swap, they machined the tailhousing of the 545 to accept the VSS from the 93 Ramcharger. Why, I'm not sure, but that's what the email said. Hopefully he'll chime in with some goods - I sent him an email to see how that project is going now that he's had it on the road for a few months.

Clair

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: Clair_Davis] #154790
11/25/08 03:06 AM
11/25/08 03:06 AM
Kahleefahwniah
enthusiast
enthusiast

Kahleefahwniah
thatd be cool, I'd like to know what exactly they did for the machining

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 69CopperCoronet] #154791
02/19/09 09:20 PM
02/19/09 09:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I purchased an entire 2004 5.7 Hemi/auto truck to use as a donar drivetrain for my Javelin. Most of the work is done and the car is running and driving now, just waiting for a repaint and some detail work. I used the 45rfe trans, which did require trans tunnel mods in my Javelin. The 5.7 itself was almost a bolt in to the Javelin crossmember, using AMC mounts and the stock truck rear sump pan. I used almost the entire wiring harness and computors from the donar as well as the sectioned truck dash in my car. The only electrical Gremlin I have so far is that the speedo does not work. I found out that I needed a rear end with an ABS 8k per mile sensor in it. The Ford 8.8 rear now in my car uses the same signal transmitter as the Dodge. The only problem is that I already deleated the ABS computor from the wiring harness so the signal never gets to the PCM. I did save the ABS computor and harness and might have to reinstall them, but I hope to bypass it if possible. I have the 2004 factory tech manual on CD and it includes very detailed schematics. It shows that the rear speed sensor goes to the ABS controler with inputs from the brake switch, fluid level and only 1 front wheel sensor (5.7 only). It also shows outputs to the PCI bus,Vehicle Speed signal to PCM/ECM, VSS to NGC, and a SCI signal. I was hoping to keep this deleated since I do not have ABS brakes, but since it sends signals to so many other components, I might not have a choice.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? #154792
02/19/09 10:12 PM
02/19/09 10:12 PM
WI
Dcuda69 Offline
master
Dcuda69  Offline
master

WI
Mopar Action,last issue,did an article on a 65 Coronet,white, w/a 5.7. That was built by a friend of mine before he sold it to the gentleman in IL.I don't know all the details,what I do know:
Yes it needed trans tunnel/crossmember mods(rfe),
yes,it had throttle by wire and cruise functional,it has an 8 3/4,I don't know about vss signal,
yes the speedo worked. He worked closely with Street and Performance on these issues,so they should know the work arounds to make them happen.
I know these issues;TBW,CC/spedo were his biggest issues,but it can be done!
He sold it and built another 65,this time w/an Alter-K and a 6.1 and all this stuff is functional again. Street and Performance may be your best resource.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: Dcuda69] #154793
02/19/09 11:53 PM
02/19/09 11:53 PM
Mission BC
10sec440 Offline
pro stock
10sec440  Offline
pro stock

Mission BC
Neat project, I have done a few various late model EFI/trans swaps though no Hemi's yet. The trans definitely does not need the ABS (rear end) sensor to work properly.

On the speedo issue, you could use the rear end with the sensor and wire in the ABS module but I'm pretty sure you would have to use the instrument cluster as well. The PCM sends all the info to the cluster through two small wires.Speed, RPM, oil, etc.

I don't know whats out there but I doubt if you can get an aftermarket speedo to read that signal.IMO you will need a standalone unit.Good luck with it, keep us posted.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? [Re: 10sec440] #154794
02/20/09 08:56 AM
02/20/09 08:56 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

I actually contacted S&P last week for my speedo issues and they are the ones that told me that the Dodge and Ford VSS transmitters in the rear axle were the same. I snagged a few at the Pick-A-Part this week and the transmitters look identical. I have a signal to work with now but it has nowhere to go without the ABS computor. I was concerned about the ABS light always being on so I just blacked it out in the stock gauge panel. I will be atempting to add the ABS computor back into the harness this weekend. I have learned a lot while doing this swap and having a complete donar vehicle is the only way to go in my case. I used the drive by wire pedal assembly from the truck also. I had assumed the speedo was fed from the trans. I started my project 4 years ago before there was much info out there. I was planning to bring it to the Mopar's @ the Strip show in Las Vegas on March 20-22, but my $8000 paint job that I will have to do over has killed my plans.

Re: 5.7 hemi with 545rfe tranny swap- has it been done? #154795
02/20/09 09:25 AM
02/20/09 09:25 AM
Sacramento, Ca
Darius Offline
master
Darius  Offline
master

Sacramento, Ca
I am so close now to being able to mount my motor/trans. This is good info,thanks for sharing!

Driving modern convenience in classic beauty
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3