12/04/13 10:23 AM
T
Tropicalcats Offline OP
Tropicalcats  Offline OP
T

For better or worse this is what I got.
Craftsman 33 gal 6 HP twin cylinder 250 V compressor
HF 40 lb blast cabinet.
I got enough CFMs to run the cabinet and only doing small pieces anyway and the price for both was a deal I could not pass up.

Here's my questions. What's a good set up for this. Air dryer, filters, etc. my thought is to set up the cabinet in a basement on a wall that adjoins a garage. I could put the compressor in the garage and run the air throughout the wall or set the compressor in the basement and sound proof a box of some sort around. I would just set it all up in the garage but in northwest Ohio in December it's cold in an unheated garage.
What do you think

Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Tropicalcats] #1543470
12/04/13 10:51 AM
12/04/13 10:51 AM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
The compressor doesn't care about cold, although the oil in the compressor will thicken and it may run slow at first.

Cold winter air is a lot drier than other seasons so being in the garage will minimize moisture in the cold months. The down side is that any moisture can freeze in the lines or tank if you don't drain it.

I only use a water separator right on my blast cabinet - no driers, etc. I blast a lot of stuff and run it hard and moisture isn't an issue. Now painting is a whole nuther thing !!!

If you're thinking of running hard lines, use copper or plastic ... steel rusts! Either will easily handle the pressure.

Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Tropicalcats] #1543471
12/04/13 12:56 PM
12/04/13 12:56 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
all I can add is my buddy has a Sanborn twin 250V & the unresolved problem is the ton of water in the lines. Not sure yet what the best solution is to take care of that but that's been my issue with it so far & I'm talking alot of water not just moisture

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: RapidRobert] #1543472
12/04/13 01:38 PM
12/04/13 01:38 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Moisture is water. The only way it gets in the compressor is the high humidity of outside air - particularly bad in summer. The only solution would be some sort of cooler/dryer in front of the intake. There is no cheap solution that I know of. He could put a water separator right at the tank exit that would keep some of it out of the lines but generally what happens is when the compressor is continuously running the air stays hot and humid so the moisture doesn't have a chance to fall out in the tank (if I run my 60 gal/5 hp compressor for a good length of time the air gets so hot you can't touch the tank!) When it hits the cooler lines the moisture condenses on the walls of the lines and now you have the water problem. It doesn't hurt to have "drop" with a drain 10 or 20 feet downstream of the compressor where condensed water can fall out of the airstream.

Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Tropicalcats] #1543473
12/04/13 04:20 PM
12/04/13 04:20 PM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
I agree the compressor in the garage is nothing.Mines been out there for 15 years.The blast cabinet I have in the garage also.Mines a HF also.It will make a mess in the cellar no matter how careful you are.I also wear a mask when blasting.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower
Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Tropicalcats] #1543474
12/04/13 05:23 PM
12/04/13 05:23 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
This compressor has been in place since the early 80s. The air line is 1/2' ridged copper water pipe, most of it is. There is some soft copper that was bent with tubing tool, nothing wrong with soft copper tubing or STEEL either. Galvanized steel pipe is really nice also. Properly setup like my system steel, even black iron won't rust much and what little rust will be taken care of by your drops,filters and water separators.

The key is to run your air line straight up from the compressor with a drain cock at the bottom and use metal line so the air can cool before getting to a water separator. It serves a 4 bay garage and runs over head to the other bays and then drops back down. The horizontal line that runs across the ceiling slopes back to the compressor. So 95% or the water runs back to the first drain cock/leg right next to my compressor.
I have done lot's of spray paint work in this shop and have no water at all in my hoses.

Drain cock/valve at the bottom, it catches 95% of the water right here. I drain it and the tank a few times a month and it's used at least 5 days a week.

Here is the drop that I run my air tools and spray gun off of. There is hardly any water that makes this far. The drop with a petcock get's a little and the air dryer get's almost none. That custom bent soft copper line goes overhead to a hose reel. Water won't go uphill.

This drop is farthest away from the compressor and is tank pressure(175psi) for filling tires, it see's hardly no water at all, I swear because it all falls out before getting this far.

My home compressor is not setup this nice, I am going to use a 60' length of 1/2" OD coiled soft copper line to cool the air and then go to a drop from the ceiling in my little 2 car garage after using it for 25+ years like it is. It does have some water in it sometimes, I do very little painting at home. But someday's there's way too much water coming out of my air at home and it's been on my to do list for years now.
My air hose is always laying out in the driveway for immediate use, I never turn off my compressor at home. Not smart I know but it don't leak.

Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Challenger 1] #1543475
12/04/13 06:05 PM
12/04/13 06:05 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Offline
Don't question me!
Stanton  Offline
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Quote:

It will make a mess in the cellar no matter how careful you are.I also wear a mask when blasting.

I'd say you're not set up properly. The cabinet needs to be properly sealed and you need to have negative airflow in the cabinet (a decent shopvac does the job). Set up like this you'll never have a dust problem.

Re: Help with compressor set up [Re: Stanton] #1543476
12/04/13 06:13 PM
12/04/13 06:13 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

It will make a mess in the cellar no matter how careful you are.I also wear a mask when blasting.

I'd say you're not set up properly. The cabinet needs to be properly sealed and you need to have negative airflow in the cabinet (a decent shopvac does the job). Set up like this you'll never have a dust problem.

I have to politely disagree.
I have been using this almost as long as I had the compressor and it makes a dusty mess, even with a clean shopvac filter.

I always laugh to my self when I see them sitting next to a work benches where you might assemble a motor or something like that. They are messy no matter how you do it, I'm here to tell you if you use it much at all.

And that compressor I showed above, DOES NOT keep up with my blast cabinet. Not even close, I spend lot's of time waiting for the air to catch up. And don't let size deceive you, HF blasters use the same amount of air.