ohio
B
bbtrux Offline OP
super stock
bbtrux  Offline OP
super stock
B

ohio
just bought a 71 d 100.318,3 speed column,manual steer,manual brake.considering an 833 o/d trans.is the length different from the 3 speed? are input and output splines different? front bearing retainer diameter same? anybody done a disc conversion other than scarebird? is there anyway to put the front axle over the springs? did sweptlines ever have any form of power steering? lots of relatively dumb questions i know,but im just throwin stuff at the wall.

Re: sweptline tech [Re: bbtrux] #1539548
11/25/13 03:00 AM
11/25/13 03:00 AM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Quote:

just bought a 71 d 100.318,3 speed column,manual steer,manual brake.considering an 833 o/d trans.is the length different from the 3 speed? are input and output splines different? front bearing retainer diameter same? anybody done a disc conversion other than scarebird? is there anyway to put the front axle over the springs? did sweptlines ever have any form of power steering? lots of relatively dumb questions i know,but im just throwin stuff at the wall.

Wow, lotsa questions! You would need a long tailshaft 833 o/d and it should be the same length as the 3-speed. I don't know about the splines though. Scarebird is the only disc brake set-up unless you do a frame swap with an F/M/J body. I don't think you can put the front axle over the springs, but I am sure with some creative flame hammering you might be able to. My 69 D200 has power steering and it is a hydraulic cylinder on the straight axle with 5 hose coming from the box, not a real good set-up.

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: sweptline tech [Re: Rhinodart] #1539549
11/25/13 01:37 PM
11/25/13 01:37 PM
D
dogdays Offline
I Live Here
dogdays  Offline
I Live Here
D

RE: Sweptline power steering - My '71 donor truck has power steering, the only kind available on the Sweptline trucks was the hydraulic ram. A problem with this is the complex mess of pipes and hoses in the driver's side wheelwell. It'd be darn near impossible to get a big tire in there. My non-power steering '64 has issues with the 31-10.50x15 tire rubbing on the steering arm, using 15 x 7 wheels with about zero offset.

Good news on the manual steering box, it's a Saginaw 525 and you can find parts for it in many places.

The Scarebird kit uses the stock hub after removing the drum, and uses a Ford products disk. I think it's a 1997 and earlier Crown Vic/Lincoln towncar disk. The 1998 to 2002 CV/L disks are about an inch larger. I am planning to use them. The caliper bracket is basically cut from plate steel, I'm thinking it would be easy to fabricate. I have a pair of Lincoln 4-piston calipers that are part of my plan.

I don't like the F/M/J suspension as it has lousy geometry and is easy to install wrong making the car unsafe.

I am hearing about a straight-in Lincoln swap, haven't seen one, though.

Putting the springs under the axles could be done if you have fabrication skills.

Keep on searching online, interest in the Sweptlines is starting to pick up, finally.

R.

Re: sweptline tech [Re: dogdays] #1539550
11/25/13 04:34 PM
11/25/13 04:34 PM
Des Moines IA
S
Soopernaut Offline
master
Soopernaut  Offline
master
S

Des Moines IA
Brakes:

http://rustyhope.com/mopardiscbrakes.html

http://www.aajbrakes.com/

http://braketechsolutions.com/home They advertised that they could make brakes for any vehicle.

Front axle flips have been done but you will run into bumpsteer if you don't do it correctly. You may also end up with too low of a scrub line as well.

Power Steering was rare and only an assist. Many have adapted other steering components to their trucks.

1970 Dodge d100/eventually going on a 77 D100 frame
Re: sweptline tech [Re: bbtrux] #1539551
11/25/13 09:49 PM
11/25/13 09:49 PM
Canada
D
demon Offline
super stock
demon  Offline
super stock
D

Canada
Quote:

One way to do all the upgrades you want is to buy a Dakota, and swap the Sweptline body on. Then you have it all. Fuel injected Magnum, 4 speed automatic or 5 speed overdrive, independant suspension, Power rack and pinion steering, Disc brakes etc. Dakota frames are darn near perfect dimensions for the Sweptline trucks. even the engine to front wheel centerline is darn near the same. The 92-96 Dakotas are cheap and plentiful, and can be swapped to 5 bolt wheels by simply changing the front rotors and rear axles from an 87-90 junkyard donor.
Using regular wheels instead of Dakota specific wheels gets the track width right where you want it too.
The Dakota guages will fit in the old trucks dash very nicely, and the whole wiring harness goes right in too. Fm Cd player? Done. Cruise control? Done. Want independant 4 wheel drive? That's done too.
Parts available at any local parts store or wrecker any day without searching.even the steering column from the Dakota will go in. Tilt steering and variable wipers? Done.
Dakota frames come in 112, 124 and 131 inch wheelbases and can be easily adjusted for other wheelbases. Early sweptlines are 114 or 122 inch wheelbases and later ones are 114 or 128 inch. A shortbox stepside can be done super easy by taking 2 inches off the front of the box. Sweptline boxes can be lengthened or shortened if you have body work skills.
Plus dropped spindles are available for Dakotas.
So if you have some fabricating skills this may be the way to go.

Last edited by demon; 11/25/13 11:33 PM.