jcc Offline
If you can't dazzle em with diamonds..
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Gee, wonder why a rear bar was a problem?

I believe when you stop the rear from leaning, you stop what little weight is in the rear from transferring to the outside tire. The rear stepped out much earlier with the rear bar.

Not sure if I understand your point, but a rear bar for instance will decrease the loading on the inside tire, AND increase loading on outside tire, resulting in less total axle grip BECAUSE tires are LESS evenly loaded, and this results in increased over steer, and if not matched better to front roll resistance, handling is perceived to be degraded.

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Recommenfations on torsion bars and shocks please [Re: jcc] #1528377
11/07/13 10:23 AM
11/07/13 10:23 AM
central CT
cudazappa Offline
super stock
cudazappa  Offline
super stock

central CT
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I believe when you stop the rear from leaning, you stop what little weight is in the rear from transferring to the outside tire. The rear stepped out much earlier with the rear bar.

Not sure if I understand your point, but a rear bar for instance will decrease the loading on the inside tire, AND increase loading on outside tire, resulting in less total axle grip BECAUSE tires are LESS evenly loaded, and this results in increased over steer, and if not matched better to front roll resistance, handling is perceived to be degraded.

JCC You got it backwards. You want your weight to transfer to the outside in a corner. That's where you need the grip, not the inside.

1971 Challenger
Re: Recommenfations on torsion bars and shocks please [Re: cudazappa] #1528378
11/07/13 10:41 AM
11/07/13 10:41 AM
Fly Over States
P
PHJ426 Offline
master
PHJ426  Offline
master
P

Fly Over States
To get an idea of how much weight your car has maybe try hitting a truck weigh station on your "Interstate" on the island?

If you get there and it's unattended you might be able to see the display through the window. Weigh the complete car and then place just the front 2 tires on the scale and then weigh with the rear 2 tires only on the scale.

With this information you can use the 10% of front end weight that Andy uses with his torsion bar tango application article.

When you set the car up for the track there are adjustments you can make to the chassis and suspension (of which I don't know all of them) that will "move" the weight around the corners of the car. Other moves like changing battery location can be tried out as well.

But for what your looking for right now, get the amount of weight that is placed on the front tires in an at rest condition your decision can be made confidently.

Re: Recommenfations on torsion bars and shocks please [Re: PHJ426] #1528379
11/08/13 11:22 AM
11/08/13 11:22 AM
Pikes Peak Country
T
TC@HP2 Offline
master
TC@HP2  Offline
master
T

Pikes Peak Country
You can also find scales at landscaping companies, drywall suppliers, waste transfer stations, and I'd imagine, some freight companies that are boxing loads in/out of the docks.

To take a wild stab at it, I'd bet your car is around 3200# with a 56% front bias, or roughly 1800# on the nose. So a 10# figure for that would be 180# t-bar rate, or just a hair under 1". For simplicity, call it 1" and your good.

If this is a bucks down approach then pick up a solid 1.125" front sway bar, bolt it all together and see how it feels.

Re: Recommenfations on torsion bars and shocks please [Re: cudazappa] #1528380
11/08/13 02:27 PM
11/08/13 02:27 PM
Bitopia
J
jcc Offline
jcc  Offline
J

Bitopia
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

JCC You got it backwards. You want your weight to transfer to the outside in a corner. That's where you need the grip, not the inside.

We disagree, anybody want to jump in here, I think this is a major misunderstanding here, or one of us is completely wrong ( I don't mean that in belligerent way)

A couple of basics regarding grip as I see them, a. maximum grip is achieved on a single axle is when both tires are loaded exactly the same. In a corner that is not possible, no matter what the design or features. b. Any difference in tire loading reduces overall total grip, no matter what the weight transfer, as the higher loaded tire DOES NOT gain the grip back proportionally that the unloaded tire lost. c, sway bars reduce grip to a degree by increasing tire loading differences, but may have other offsetting positives by such things such as improved wheel/tire alignment in body roll. d. on this point I am winging it, but body roll is possibly additionally increased by removing sway bars because of increased grip, if tire alignment can still be useful. e. there is more to perceived handling then ultimate grip.

Well?

Reality check, that half the population is smarter then 50% of the people and it's a constantly contested fact.
Re: Recommenfations on torsion bars and shocks please [Re: jcc] #1528381
11/08/13 06:05 PM
11/08/13 06:05 PM
Utah and Alaska
astjp2 Offline
master
astjp2  Offline
master

Utah and Alaska
Don't forget about preventing brake dive, larger torsion bars help prevent this. I have 1.03's on my b-body but I am thinking I need to go larger because of my heavy world block and other heavy parts that I am installing. TIm

1941 Taylorcraft
1968 Charger
1994 Wrangler
1998 Wrangler
2008 Kia Rio
2017 Jetta

I didn't do 4 years and 9 months of Graduate School to be called Mister!
Page 2 of 2 1 2