Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Cam Change - Issues??? #1525034
10/29/13 12:18 AM
10/29/13 12:18 AM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,072
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
C
CUDAJAS Offline OP
top fuel
CUDAJAS  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,072
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
I am contemplating a cam change in my 360.

I was thinking of a smallish Lunati voodoo cam that is more street friendly.

I have heard a ton of horror stories over the last few years regarding failed flat tappet cams.

Are those issues a thing of the past, are the ways to ensure I do not kill a new cam.

The engine runs strong but has a bit of a mismatched combo. I would hate to kill the engine with a simple cam change.

Thanks,

Jason

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: CUDAJAS] #1525035
10/29/13 02:11 AM
10/29/13 02:11 AM
Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 18,493
Granite Bay CA
Kern Dog Offline
Striving for excellence
Kern Dog  Offline
Striving for excellence

Joined: Feb 2010
Posts: 18,493
Granite Bay CA
Mopar Action magazine did a great article on how to start a fresh engine. It shows how to absolutely ensure that the engine starts on the very first few revolutions.
The failure of these types of cams is directly related to extended cranking on a fresh start AND the proper oil used. This is assuming that you are using the proper valve springs according to the Cam manufacturer.
Get the engine to start immediately AND use the right oil. Your chances of success are good.

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: CUDAJAS] #1525036
10/29/13 08:27 AM
10/29/13 08:27 AM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 596
Mass.
8
80fbody Offline
mopar
80fbody  Offline
mopar
8

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 596
Mass.
I would source some Johnson lifters. Much better luck with those. Check with guys like Comp. Wedge, Compuflow, ect. Seem to be much more helpful getting those, if available.

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: 80fbody] #1525037
10/29/13 09:09 PM
10/29/13 09:09 PM
Joined: May 2003
Posts: 6,569
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Twostick Offline
Still wishing...
Twostick  Offline
Still wishing...

Joined: May 2003
Posts: 6,569
Downtown Roebuck Ont
Use a good 15/40 diesel oil like Rotella or Mobil Delvac. If you can't sleep at night, add a can of GM EOS or equivalent.

Make sure ALL, repeat ALL the lifters are spinning BEFORE you fire it up. IMHO 90+% of cam failures are caused by a lifter that wasn't turning.

When you turn the engine over on the starter, all the push rods should spin quickly and evenly. A slow one or a stopped one is trouble. Swap the lifter to a different hole and try again. If it won't spin in that hole,replace the lifter. If the one in the original hole still won't spin, check the lifter bore.

This check can be done in a very few seconds and IMO is critical.

Kevin

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: Twostick] #1525038
10/29/13 10:10 PM
10/29/13 10:10 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,954
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,954
Blairsden, CA
Quote:

Use a good 15/40 diesel oil like Rotella or Mobil Delvac. If you can't sleep at night, add a can of GM EOS or equivalent.

Make sure ALL, repeat ALL the lifters are spinning BEFORE you fire it up. IMHO 90+% of cam failures are caused by a lifter that wasn't turning.

When you turn the engine over on the starter, all the push rods should spin quickly and evenly. A slow one or a stopped one is trouble. Swap the lifter to a different hole and try again. If it won't spin in that hole,replace the lifter. If the one in the original hole still won't spin, check the lifter bore.

This check can be done in a very few seconds and IMO is critical.

Kevin




I agree & great advice. I just switched cams in my 383, using plenty of cam lube, a bottle of Trick Flow breakin oil & no issues with
the new cam & its been 4 months now. I try to add a quart of Comp break in oil with oil changes just to be sure I have enough zinc & phosporous, etc.

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: Triggerfish] #1525039
10/29/13 10:22 PM
10/29/13 10:22 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 36,041
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 36,041
Lincoln Nebraska
I'd suggest mocking up each lifter in a bore cleaned with brake kleen & lightly lubed with WD40 & lift each lifter up off of its' lobe with your finger & let go of it & it should fall back onto its' respective lobe with a resounding "thunk"


live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: Kern Dog] #1525040
10/30/13 01:15 AM
10/30/13 01:15 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 205
Martinsville, VA
4
440child Offline
enthusiast
440child  Offline
enthusiast
4

Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 205
Martinsville, VA
Quote:

Mopar Action magazine did a great article on how to start a fresh engine.





Would anyone have a copy of this by any chance?

Re: Cam Change - Issues??? [Re: 80fbody] #1525041
11/01/13 04:19 PM
11/01/13 04:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,072
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
C
CUDAJAS Offline OP
top fuel
CUDAJAS  Offline OP
top fuel
C

Joined: Jan 2003
Posts: 2,072
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the input guys.

I would likely go with the lunati voodoo cam and lifter package.

Quote:

I would source some Johnson lifters. Much better luck with those. Check with guys like Comp. Wedge, Compuflow, ect. Seem to be much more helpful getting those, if available.




These are the comments that scare me.

Is there an issue with Lunati lifters or the other cam and lifter kits?

Jason







Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.1