M
MoPar Jamie Offline OP
master
MoPar Jamie  Offline OP
master
M

Sarcoxie, MO, USA
Hey all,

I'm having to do the plenum gasket on a '95 B-van V6. This is an EGR motor. I have a '96 OBDII motor with a blockoff plate on it as well as the corresponding manifolds. Would it be okay to run my '95 motor without the EGR?

Plan would be to drop intake gaskets on it and swap it onto my motor as-is. Are the injectors the same as well?

Any help would be appreciated. I didnt intend to fix this one but because of a deer hit to the Neon last night (drivers fender and headlight) I need it as a backup because my wife is in a chair.

- MoPar Jamie

1972 Fury III 4dr
1986 D-150 LWB Royal SE
Re: 95 Magnum EGR-Delete? [Re: MoPar Jamie] #1523095
10/25/13 09:39 AM
10/25/13 09:39 AM
USA
360view Offline
Moparts resident spammer
360view  Offline
Moparts resident spammer

USA
The 1992-1995 EGR system was required by the EPA to be "fail safe" in that if any thing in the electrical system or vacuum goes bad, the system allows full EGR flow, which makes for a terrible idle and frequent stalling.

There are periodic tests run by the OBD-I computer at steady highway speed and RPM where the EGR flow is turned off for a few seconds, then back on, and the O2 sensor signal is monitored for the expected Leaner, then Richer air to fuel ratio changes.

To compensate for the slower burning when EGR is on, the 1992-1995 Magnum engines have highly advanced ignition timing at mid throttle engine load. I have seen as high as 48 degrees before top dead center at 60 mph on a level highway at about 13 inches vacuum with my Actron brand OBD-I Scantool.

If you eliminate EGR these high advance numbers might cause the engine to ping on 87 octane.

EGR is not allowed to turn on by the OBD-I computer above 80 percent engine load.
This was the Michigan Congressman John Dingel Jr loophole in the EPA law for "emergency passing power".
If you want to eliminate EGR to get more power at full throttle, this is unneccessary as the factory system turns it off automatically.

EGR is not turned on if the exhaust manifold backpressure is less than 2 psi.
This prevents stalling at idle and slow speeds.
This is done not by the OBD-I computer but at the "EGR Modulating Valve" hanging separate from the bolted on EGR valve.

If your sparkplugs and ignition is in good condition EGR at part throttle actually improves highway MPG by increasing intake manifold pressure and therefore improving piston "pumping losses" on the intake strokes.

If any part of your ignition system is weak EGR increases missfires and reduces MPG.

EGR loads up the lube oil with tiny carbon particles,
aka soot.
Valvoline "Blue" diesel rated motor oil is designed to work better when there is a lot of soot in the oil,
and is recommended by Cummins for this reason.

Best way to eliminate EGR on 1992-1995 engines
is to go to an aftermarket PCM computer SMFI,
or carburetor/old fashioned distributor,
and go lean air to fuel ratios to get better fuel economy.