10/16/13 02:52 AM
KS.
H
HairOtheDog Offline
HairOtheDog  Offline
H

KS.
Oh, yeah,
no debate there, I've always liked the 70-71 E bodies, had a 70 gran coupe in the family for over 30yrs! (Still miss that car!)

But, I guess I am wrong, not the first or last time, BUT help me understand this so I can learn something new, I'm not trying to argue just understand..

First, I naturally would've thought-
if the orig motor went bye-bye, the orig. trans. did as well, pretty common, Ive seen it many, many, many, many times, so why isn't it possible this trans is from a different E body?

Second, While i agree that its odd for an abusive Previous owner to alter numbers, if the trans came from another, different well taken care of car, (i.e. wrecked) it now makes sense.
BUT when has a previous owner ever needed a reason to do something odd?
We all know about those "previous owner horror stories" heck! I'm in one of those now lol, previous owners did really senseless, ignorant things and unfortunately "THOSE" previous owners never needed a reason to do senseless things...

Third, Those #'s CLEARLY look restamped, NOT factory,
BUT, even IF they are, why in the world would they have to restamp the "OB2" over and over again???? I count at least 5-6 different, repeated, "O B 2" strikes each, why? That prefix did not change, so THAT doesn't make sense to me.
The ONLY possible reason I can see for the restrike of the "OB2"
is to "match" the other altered stamps.

Forth, I've never seen another with stampings like that (orig from the factory)
seen them plenty of times on cloned or faked cars though....
Not saying that yours is, obviously its not,
I just meant that whenever I've seen altered #'s, like that^
they were changed to hide, conceal, clone, cover-up or "create" a #'s matching car that isn't.
We've all seen them before.

Explain it to me please, is it just that there's no paint on the shift plate, correct font (easily done), lots of grime on it and a white "x" that makes it all legit?
Is that enough?
Thanks

Last edited by HairOtheDog; 10/16/13 04:04 AM.
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: HairOtheDog] #1518270
10/16/13 04:06 AM
10/16/13 04:06 AM
colorado
A
a12superbee Offline
master
a12superbee  Offline
master
A

colorado
Quote:

Oh, yeah,
no debate there, I've always liked the 70-71 E bodies, had a 70 gran coupe in the family for over 30yrs! (Still miss that car!)

But, I guess I am wrong, not the first or last time, BUT help me understand this so I can learn something new, I'm not trying to argue just understand..

First, I naturally would've thought-
if the orig motor went bye-bye, the orig. trans. did as well, pretty common, Ive seen it many, many, many, many times, so why isn't it possible this trans is from a different E body?

Second, While i agree that its odd for an abusive Previous owner to alter numbers, if the trans came from another, different well taken care of car, (i.e. wrecked) it now makes sense.
BUT when has a previous owner ever needed a reason to do something odd?
We all know about those "previous owner horror stories" heck! I'm in one of those now lol, previous owners did really senseless, ignorant things and unfortunately "THOSE" previous owners never needed a reason to do senseless things...

Third, Those #'s CLEARLY look restamped, NOT factory,
BUT, even IF they are, why in the world would they have to restamp the "OB2" over and over again???? I count at least 5-6 different, repeated, "O B 2" strikes each, why? That prefix did not change, so THAT doesn't make sense to me.

Forth, I've never seen another with stampings like that (orig from the factory)
seen them plenty of times on cloned or faked cars though....
Not saying that yours is, obviously its not,
I just meant that whenever I've seen altered #'s, like that^
they were changed to hide, conceal, clone, cover-up or "create" a #'s matching car that isn't.
We've all seen them before.

Explain it to me please, is it just that there's no paint on the shift plate, correct font (easily done), lots of grime on it and a white "x" that makes it all legit?
Is that enough?
Thanks

Those things yes.
The mill marks on the pad don't appear to have been grinded on.
People restamping numbers generally don't leave the old number visible, it is kind of a tell tale.
How about a conscientious dealer mechanic?
I'd agree the 'restamping for fun and profit' doesn't seem to be in play here.

I can't afford this. mark
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: a12superbee] #1518271
10/16/13 04:26 AM
10/16/13 04:26 AM
KS.
H
HairOtheDog Offline
HairOtheDog  Offline
H

KS.
Excellent point,
I also didn't notice any grinding marks and I wondered about that as well.

But,
I also noticed the restamps were done from a lower, right angle, implying (to me) the restrikes were done while the trans was in a vehicle and may explain also, why the stamps for the OB2 are so butchered.

As far as a dealer, why would they change the numbers, there's no doubt or question that #'s were changed.

Seems like there's more reason to doubt its authenticity than prove it ?????
Or are the above mentioned reasons enough to unequivocally prove its authenticity?

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: HairOtheDog] #1518272
10/16/13 09:48 AM
10/16/13 09:48 AM
Atlanta Indiana
D
Dave Watt Offline
master
Dave Watt  Offline
master
D

Atlanta Indiana
Looks like a factory stamp to me.

My guess is that the person who was stamping the engine and trans forgot to change the VIN# prior to striking it, realized the mistake, corrected the VIN#, and then heavily struck it to cover up the mistake.

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: a12superbee] #1518273
10/16/13 09:57 AM
10/16/13 09:57 AM
Alberta, Canada
K
krisiesmopes Offline
super stock
krisiesmopes  Offline
super stock
K

Alberta, Canada
Quote:

How about a conscientious dealer mechanic?

hmmmmn. I worked at a dealership and there were stamps in the tool room.

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: Dave Watt] #1518274
10/16/13 10:53 AM
10/16/13 10:53 AM
N.E. OHIO, USA
A12 Offline
Too Many Posts
A12  Offline
Too Many Posts

N.E. OHIO, USA
Quote:

My guess is that the person who was stamping the engine and trans forgot to change the VIN# prior to striking it, realized the mistake, corrected the VIN#, and then heavily struck it to cover up the mistake.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm "What if" there is another trans with the numbers restamped on this trans with them under the numbers that you can't read A simple assembly line oops that someone caught. Two 4-speed transmissions attached to the wrong engine and caught by quality control. Instead of taking everything apart it's just so much easier to re-stamp both and keep the line moving.

Remember production was about a 1,000 cars a day back then and do you really think that they cared if 40-years later someone would say "oh for sure that's a non-factory restamp there because someone made a 4-speed out of an automatic to increase the value"

What would you do if you were the production manager and someone pointed out the assembly error with everything already bolted together?

I agree with the fact that the original numbers are still there and the re-stamped numbers are pretty darn straight to not have been done with a multi-stamp fixture like used on some assembly lines.

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70mopes] #1518275
10/16/13 11:58 AM
10/16/13 11:58 AM
renton, Washington
ph23vo Offline
I Live Here
ph23vo  Offline
I Live Here

renton, Washington
Quote:

I am restoring a '70 cuda 340 4 speed with a SPD of 2/26. I had always thought the trans was a matching assy but now I am not so sure. Take a look at this VIN Stamping. I had thought the fonts and size looked normal and I have seen some pretty crappy VIN stampings on both blocks and tranny's but until I looked closer this trans appears to have a different story.

For all practical purposes, this trans looked to be the original assy for this car. It has the correct 696 blue stencil on the housing. The assy date of the Trans is Jan 13, 1970 which is kind of early for MY SPD. My VIN is OB262398 but the VIN underneath looks to be OB253550. Is it possible that it is a factory screwup? Like I said ... all indications are that the trans is original to the car.

The stamp looks old and pretty close to factory font... in the '3' and '2'.

I know what most will think but am wondering if somehow the trans was mis ID'd at the factory and then overstamped with my cars VIN. Perhaps the other VIN had already been used? and was duplicated in error on this trans. Anyone ever heard of anything like that happening?

i have a 70 HP 440 block like that... has another vin stamped under it..not sure if it was a bad engine at the factory or a dealer restamp..they are correct FACTORY STAMPING FONT anyway.. had the engine 25 yrs..
Thoughts?

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: Dave Watt] #1518276
10/16/13 12:45 PM
10/16/13 12:45 PM
Abilene, Texas
F
fastmark Offline
master
fastmark  Offline
master
F

Abilene, Texas
Quote:

Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! You guys are so quick to jump to a rebody/restamp theory. Look, it is a lonely 340 car. The motor is long gone. Someone on the assembly line made a mistake. There could be any number of reasons. They caught it corrected it and moved on. They did not think about 40 years from now someone on this board placing any value on a set of numbers much less questioning the validity of the car. Those stamps are factory, pure and simple. If someone was going to do a restamp, then the old number would have been milled off. Do you really think a worker is going to stop the assembly line and tell his boss he screwed up a stamp job? I remember one of the old timers on the board who told of a new hire on the Chrysler line that was stamping the uni bodies. He was really fast. When they got to watching him, he was not changing the numbers for each car! No telling how many uni-bodies he stamped with the same number!

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: Alaskan_TA] #1518277
10/16/13 02:04 PM
10/16/13 02:04 PM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Offline
master
hemicar1971  Offline
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
Quote:

It would have been a Challenger.

Both cars were likely scheduled for a mid-February build, but there is no way to know when either was actually built.

The engines & transmissions were stamped right before the matching body was lowered onto them.

These two cars may have been one right after the other on the assembly line & the worker doing the stamps simply neglected to roll the digits to the correct numbers the first time.

We may never know for sure, but I do not see any evidence of fraud on this one.

Looks like Barry is pretty close to the answer but you never know in this world of Money comes first.

I wonder if the line worker used one or two stamping tools when stamping the motors and transmissions. One for the Dodge and one for the Plymouth, if the numbers were so far apart. Then the next thing I wonder who picked up the error with the numbers and who corrected the numbers. What I am saying is did the Line Worker see the mistake or did it go down to inspection and they restamped the numbers on the transmission. I have some experience in this process but Chrysler in 1970 could of had a different process with repairs or restamping numbers. Were I worked it would of been done a few ways. The Worker would of XXXXXXXXed all numbers out and put on the correct number or the worker might of said F-it and just stamped over it, or the inspector and repair might of corrected the stamping with a completely new or different set of stamping tools. The error could of been made when a relief man took over the job for the Line Worker. Maybe the line worker was a new employee and was not to familiar on the job and just stamped over the numbers many times. Bottom line, you would have to find the paper work from the line for the repair or you would have to of been there when it was done were ever it was done.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: hemicar1971] #1518278
10/16/13 07:52 PM
10/16/13 07:52 PM
St Louis, MO 63026
convx4 Offline
super stock
convx4  Offline
super stock

St Louis, MO 63026
This info was taken from the winged warriors web site
http://www.wwnboa.org/slaprer.htm

VIN tags didn't appear until the car was in the Trim department. They were situated in order in wooden trays and brought down from the Broadcast Area which was then located overhead. In later years, the Broadcast Area was moved down to the floor.

The fender tags appeared in the body shop. They were stamped by a machine that ran across the blank tag like a typewriter, done very fast. The fender tags were located on the inner fender because that is the one part that every car had and were all the same basic construction to use as a reference point.

Gary also told us how those VIN stampings were made. There were two motor lines at the plant. When a car went through the motor line, as soon as the transmission was installed, it received VIN stampings. There were five sets of fixtures, there were numbers that went into each fixture and then it was clamped onto the engine. A pneumatic burp gun was then used to stamp the VIN into the metal. The engine was painted before the numbers were stamped, so the numbers were left in bare metal.

The confidential numbers that were stamped on various other parts of the car were stamped with a huge machine...so big you could hardly pull it down to make the stamping. The confidential numbers were painted over in the bodyshop. Gary remembers one humorous episode where a new hire was supposed to be putting the confidential numbers on the cars as they came by his station. A foreman saw him sitting there leisurely reading a magazine and went over to ask why he wasn't up working. The new hire answered that this was the "easiest job in the world" and didn't take much time so he was relaxing in-between cars. Wondering how he could be stamping each of those cars with different numbers and have that much free time, the foreman stood back and watched the new hire as the next car came down the line. He simply stood up and pulled the machine down and stamped the numbers on the car body-without ever changing the numbers! He had been stamping the same numbers on every car!

Broadcast sheet paper came to the plant pre-printed and folded in boxes. IBM teletype machines printed the various codes on broadcast sheets. The Broadcast Office at the front of the plant sent information about each car coordinated to small offices where there were machines located. Gary reports that there were 30 track (broadcast) machines in the plant. There were five small printing machines in Paint and Bodyshop alone. Part of his job was to empty the trash barrels of track sheets (which, incidentally are now recycled). Imagine how many of those much-sought-after broadcast sheets Gary sent to the landfill!

The long, skinny aluminum tag that you sometimes see affixed to the forward screw on the fender ID tag is an inspector's tag. It will have a punched hole through it to signify that an inspector has looked at that car. The bodyshop had the aluminum strips for the inspectors to punch. Sometimes you will also find a hole punched through the fender tag itself. This is also an inspector's punch.

Here's a good example of how things could really get screwed up in the factory. One day, an inspector went to the area where the radiator core supports were being built and told them he'd "bought off" four hours worth of cars. He stamped (punched) inspectors tags for all of them, which amounted to about 250 cars, and then went home to lunch. As luck would have it, the cars got out of sequence that day in the assembly plant and the bodies were wrong. His job was to insure that the bodies were drilled correctly for the chrome. All of these 250 cars, which were on dollys in the metal shop, had to be coordinated with the correct track sheets. This caused the assembly line to be shut down for an hour while they got the cars back in sequence. The inspector got fired for about a week and then was transferred to another department.

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: convx4] #1518279
10/16/13 08:08 PM
10/16/13 08:08 PM
Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
Rhinodart Offline
Rhinotruck
Rhinodart  Offline
Rhinotruck

Round Lake Beach, Illinoisy
I have talked with a few assembly line workers from the Chrysler Belvidere plant and each one would NOT want a book printed of what went on during those times in the late 60's and early 70's! To a "T" they told me that what we consider the "holy" numbers stamped on these cars and drivetrains are not all what they seem. There are plenty of anecdotes from those days about what took place like what is printed above...

The funny thing about science is that if you change one miniscule parameter you change the entire outcome to the way you want it.

JB Rhinehart, Realist

A-Body's RULE!
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: Rhinodart] #1518280
10/17/13 11:10 AM
10/17/13 11:10 AM
Chicago Blackhawks
H
hemicar1971 Offline
master
hemicar1971  Offline
master
H

Chicago Blackhawks
There are a lot of cool stories that could be told. Some vehicles motors blew up in roll test before they ever left the plant were I work and I don't think anyone put a VIN number on the new motor after or during the motor change. Test drives use to go on a lot. Smokie burn outs at lunch with a bunch of other workers. Having drag races on the ring road around the plant and running out of gas and just leaving the vehicle right there and walking back to your work area and not telling anyone about the vehicle. It was more important to just keep the line moving than to care if some vehicle got all its VINs. If it was workers vehicle being built it got plenty of extra care and undercoating and some extra goodies, such as better suspension parts and up graded performance parts. Now it is very hard to upgrade do to Computerization and unit builds from other plants that come in completely built and ready to be put into the vehicle.

1971 HEMI E BODY REGISTRY
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #1518281
10/19/13 12:17 PM
10/19/13 12:17 PM
Oregon
A
abodyman Offline
super street
abodyman  Offline
super street
A

Oregon
restamping for decades? thats too funny !!!
am sure, its..just to "clean up" the factory stampings....

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70mopes] #2315817
06/04/17 03:21 AM
06/04/17 03:21 AM
California
70ChallengerR/T Offline
70ChallengerR/T  Offline

California
I am looking to purchase a numbers matching car that has a double stamp issue on the engine like the one is this discussion and I am dubious to pay $$$$.

Trying understand if my concerns are valid or not. Would anyone here paid top dollar with this issue?

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70ChallengerR/T] #2315820
06/04/17 03:56 AM
06/04/17 03:56 AM
Las Vegas, NV
6bblgt Offline
I Live Here
6bblgt  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas, NV
more info & pics needed scope

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70mopes] #2315825
06/04/17 04:45 AM
06/04/17 04:45 AM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
What Dan said...

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70mopes] #2315827
06/04/17 04:50 AM
06/04/17 04:50 AM
Washington/Las Vegas
1971 Gran Coupe Offline
super stock
1971 Gran Coupe  Offline
super stock

Washington/Las Vegas
Double stamped to me is the same number stamped more than once.
Over Stamped would then be different numbers over another set of numbers.
Yes, pictures and details are missing.

Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70ChallengerR/T] #2315829
06/04/17 04:57 AM
06/04/17 04:57 AM
Vancouver, WA
Cuda Cody Offline
super stock
Cuda Cody  Offline
super stock

Vancouver, WA
There are all types of factory errors and mis-stamps, but there are many fakes out there too. A lot of things to consider. 6bbgt is a fantastic resource and he can help you... as can many other very smart and experienced members here too. This article might be of some help, but it's not going to take the place of a true expert taking a look at the numbers for you. Post a photo if you can.

http://www.e-bodies.org/buying-your-first-e-body/vin-numbers/

Originally Posted By 70ChallengerR/T
I am looking to purchase a numbers matching car that has a double stamp issue on the engine like the one is this discussion and I am dubious to pay $$$$.

Trying understand if my concerns are valid or not. Would anyone here paid top dollar with this issue?

1970 Challenger T/A 4-Speed
1970 Challenger T/A 4-Speed
1970 Challenger T/A Auto
1970 Challenger R/T Auto
1970 Challenger Auto
1970 Challenger RT 440+6 4-Speed
1970 Challenger RT 440+6 4-Speed
1970 Hemi Challenger 4-Speed
1970 Hemi Cuda 4-Speed
1971 Cuda Auto
1971 Cuda 4-Speed
LOOKING to BUY 1970 & 1971 E Body J, V and R Code project cars
Re: Strange VIN Stamping - '70 'cuda 340 Trans Re-stamp? [Re: 70mopes] #2315942
06/04/17 01:51 PM
06/04/17 01:51 PM
Hamtramck, PA
A
Alaskan_TA Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
Alaskan_TA  Offline
Fluffy Balladeer
A

Hamtramck, PA
Get a clear photo of the number on the pad from a straight on angle.

Same for the numbers on the transmission.

That way we can see what you see & can go from there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2