CHAPPER Offline
master
CHAPPER  Offline
master
C

Belpre,Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

That first picture was after taking .004 off the deck. In this one you can see more clearly where the Roloc disc dug in a little harder. Obviously the blue spots are the LOW spots.

IMO, The pics arent proving your point. I see very large Uniform Diameter impression marks of different depths in the first two pics.

Evidence of a bad hand rolex disc clean up would be less uniform and sporatic.

In your First pic, the Cylinder tops are untouched by your first shave but the deck clearly shows a wide diameter pattern impression. On the Second cut the "one cylinder" shows the same pattern of the wide diameter cutting impression that the Deck shows on the First cut.

The low/blue area at the immediate edge of the cylinders, could have been caused from too much grinding with a cookie, but those marks on the outside edges of the deck surface were made with something large in diameter..possibly an older Blockmaster with dull cutters and too fast of travel speed.

If you like drag racing, support your local track.
Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? [Re: CHAPPER] #1513661
10/09/13 01:25 PM
10/09/13 01:25 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline OP
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline OP
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

That first picture was after taking .004 off the deck. In this one you can see more clearly where the Roloc disc dug in a little harder. Obviously the blue spots are the LOW spots.

IMO, The pics arent proving your point. I see very large Uniform Diameter impression marks of different depths in the first two pics.

Evidence of a bad hand rolex disc clean up would be less uniform and sporatic.

In your First pic, the Cylinder tops are untouched by your first shave but the deck clearly shows a wide diameter pattern impression. On the Second cut the "one cylinder" shows the same pattern of the wide diameter cutting impression that the Deck shows on the First cut.

The low/blue area at the immediate edge of the cylinders, could have been caused from too much grinding with a cookie, but those marks on the outside edges of the deck surface were made with something large in diameter..possibly an older Blockmaster with dull cutters and too fast of travel speed.

This block is German made and is the two piece type where the entire main cage is unbolted in one piece to remove it. Every machined surface machined at the factory has a Ra value of less than 15 and that includes even the oil pan rail. this is the first time the engine has ever been apart. I guarantee this engine was not decked with a blockmaster. The circular patterns were made with the disc, whether you choose to believe it or not. You're looking at pictures and I was standing over the block, believe me, I can tell the difference.

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? [Re: Performance Only] #1513662
10/09/13 05:37 PM
10/09/13 05:37 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Here's a good reason not to.

Just use a thicker head gasket and some RTV ...

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? [Re: JohnRR] #1513663
10/09/13 06:46 PM
10/09/13 06:46 PM
Delray beach, Florida
P
Performance Only Offline OP
top fuel
Performance Only  Offline OP
top fuel
P

Delray beach, Florida
Quote:

Quote:

Here's a good reason not to.

Just use a thicker head gasket and some RTV ...

they make one thicker gasket. it's .08MM thicker (.0031")

machine shop owner and engine builder
Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? [Re: Performance Only] #1513664
10/09/13 08:15 PM
10/09/13 08:15 PM
Fitchburg,Massachusetts
MPerry Offline
Mopahts memba'
MPerry  Offline
Mopahts memba'

Fitchburg,Massachusetts
You mean your not supposed to build engines using a belt sander & a dingle hone???
Why would he use a Roloc on it before bringing it to a machine shop?
I'm not a huge fan of using them on engines but I am very careful/clean when using.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3