Moparts

Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces?

Posted By: Performance Only

Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 09:52 PM

Here's a good reason not to.

Attached picture 7879374-after.004cut.JPG
Posted By: Guitar Jones

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:00 PM

Yes I do but only very slowly and lightly and never on a head gasket sealing surface or aluminum.
Posted By: 6bblFLASH

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:02 PM

Yep,thats the problem
Posted By: Triple Threat

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:15 PM

Guilty, those scotch brite ones are so handy!
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:17 PM

Didn't anyone teach you how to color in between the lines?
Posted By: challengermike

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:23 PM

correct me if im wrong but it looks the block wasn't decked enough. The marks don't look like a cookie disc. And why would you cookie around the cylinder and not around the hole gasket surface.
Posted By: tsanchez

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 10:35 PM

Scotchbrite is a good way to kill a engine, the abrasive will get in the oil and trash bearings, or if you are incapable of using a buffer wheel you will end up wit surface damage,

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:27 PM

That first picture was after taking .004 off the deck. In this one you can see more clearly where the Roloc disc dug in a little harder. Obviously the blue spots are the LOW spots.

Attached picture 7879508-after.005cut.JPG

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:31 PM

Here it is after .006 off the deck.

Attached picture 7879513-after.006cut.JPG

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:34 PM

And here is the finished deck cut .008"
The problem is that some engines don't have gaskets available to make up the difference. This one happens to be supercharged, so .008 off ther deck and about the same off the head just about takes this little guy out of pump gas range without doing some other creative things to keep the pistons from hitting the chambers.

Attached picture 7879518-after.008cut.JPG
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:37 PM

Thanks for sharing. Do you think it would have lived with just .006" off? Is .002" enough to worry about one way or another?
Can you take .008 off the top of the pistons if you can't do it with head gaskets?

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:40 PM

Quote:

correct me if im wrong but it looks the block wasn't decked enough. The marks don't look like a cookie disc. And why would you cookie around the cylinder and not around the hole gasket surface.

You'd have to ask the owner for the answer to that. He did tell me he used a cookie to clean the deck and that's exactly what it looks like. I see this kind of thing all the time. Had he not "cookied" it, we could have taken .002 off the deck and all would've been clean and straight. Now he'll be doing some chamber work on the heads instead.
In the end it's no big deal to me, the machine's doing the work, but I thought I'd share this little tidbit for anyone thinking of doing something similar.
Posted By: CHAPPER

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/07/13 11:47 PM

Who cares what the dumb tuners do?? Don't look like a Mopar that we mess with to me.
Posted By: poisondart2

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:00 AM

Dan, I will write this down so I dont make the same mistake. Dont use a cookie on a block and who would of ever thought a cookie would do well anyway
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:15 AM

Some people just shouldn't have tools in their hands
Posted By: CompWedgeEngines

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:24 AM

Was the damage done with an oatmeal raisin, or chocolate chip cookie?

In all seriousness, I have seen the damage from cookies as well, and also the leftover from Scotchbrite pads, Most people simply cant, or dont clean things well enough, and you may as well throw a handful of fiberglass dust in some of these things and get better results....you really need to be careful with any Scothbrite type products as shown here for sure.
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:49 AM

What are you suppose to use? The plastic scraper idea is crap!

The picture proves a nice point. Unfortunately, if a machinist gets a hold of an engine that a flat rate technician has touched it probably had a roloc bristle or scotch style touch the engine.

If anyone has a better way to clean a sealing surface that is aluminum or iron, I am all ears.

Thanks for the picture

Justin
Posted By: rickraw

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 01:25 AM

They sell a gasket remover in spray form. Scotch pads are what make gaskets weld to the metal cos of all the fine scratches. Besides that, u make a machined surface too irregular.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 01:25 AM

Is this a block that was done at your shop originally, and having a freshen up..??..or is this a block that was brought to you for a new build?? I'm suspecting it is a new build. The deck being off is to be expected. The cleaning with the scuffy pad(if used correctly) would not cause that much damage.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 01:44 AM

Quote:

Is this a block that was done at your shop originally, and having a freshen up..??..or is this a block that was brought to you for a new build?? I'm suspecting it is a new build. The deck being off is to be expected. The cleaning with the scuffy pad(if used correctly) would not cause that much damage.

No offense, but you're way off on this one. Look at how flat the one end of the block is. It was perfectly flat. Then look at the area's where the roloc disc removed metal. I see this all the time. All the marks where the dye is left that looks like circular pattern is from metal being removed by the roloc disc. I've seen much worse than this one, but in an effort to dissuade others from making the same mistake, this is the one I took some pictures of.
Please don't insult me by trying to tell me those disc's didn't do that. The owner admitted he used them and realized afterwards that it was a mistake when he saw the damage.
As far as how do you get the gaskets off, I'd tell you use a gasket remover spray with a scraper, or let your machinist deal with it.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

Thanks for sharing. Do you think it would have lived with just .006" off? Is .002" enough to worry about one way or another?
Can you take .008 off the top of the pistons if you can't do it with head gaskets?

It "might" have lived at that point, but this little guy will push 28#'s of boost. That's quite a bit when you consider what's actually holding the head down. As far as the pistons go, with the way they're designed (crowned)it would me near impossible to cut them down.
Posted By: bdusted440

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 01:59 AM

That's why I use the new raloc bristle disks.Made from plastic so they don't cut the metal.
Posted By: VernMotor

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 02:39 AM

Quote:

That's why I use the new raloc bristle disks.Made from plastic so they don't cut the metal.

Them are just as bad. they are harder than you think. I have seem lot of bad things from both. everyone ask me why I keep all them wore out ones in my box. a little comment sense go's a long way when using these things . most of the new stuff I use scottbite pads by hand. they come in 8x8 sheets and I cut them in to 4 pieces.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 02:55 AM

Quote:

................................................(if) a flat rate technician has touched it (it) probably had a (several) roloc bristle or scotch style touch (all over) the engine.

If anyone has a better (faster) way ( while the "flat rate" time clock is ticking) to clean a sealing surface.........................., I am all ears.(me too!)

Thanks for the picture

Justin

.......( Ricky. Been there, done that for too many years)
Posted By: dvw

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 03:16 AM

After being a Flat rate guy for over 30 years I can say this. Yes if you're not very careful you can get enough grit in a motor to cause damage. Yes if you hold a disc in one spot long enough it's not going to be flat. Small diameter discs and worn discs make the problem worse. I never had an intake or head gasket comeback. As a flat rate tech it always pays worse when doing the the job a second time for free. If they didn't work I would have never used them. That being said, inexperienced hands can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Now a blue printed performance engine, different story. Not even the same animal.
Doug
Posted By: jamesc

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 03:16 AM

there are places where using them is appropriate, deck/head surfaces isn't one of them and i never use them where the abrasive and/or scrap is going to get into the engine

i go through a lot of razor blades, can be a little tricky on aluminum you just need to be careful
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 03:31 AM

Super Scraper!

http://www.goodson.com/SS-4U-1-1_4_Wide_Super_Scraper

Scotch brite is for cleaning the grill and doing body work.
Posted By: Scott58

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 03:40 AM

Is that an alloy or iron block?

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 04:41 AM

Quote:

Is that an alloy or iron block?

It's an iron block.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 05:17 AM

Quote:

That first picture was after taking .004 off the deck. In this one you can see more clearly where the Roloc disc dug in a little harder. Obviously the blue spots are the LOW spots.

IMO, The pics arent proving your point. I see very large Uniform Diameter impression marks of different depths in the first two pics.

Evidence of a bad hand rolex disc clean up would be less uniform and sporatic.

In your First pic, the Cylinder tops are untouched by your first shave but the deck clearly shows a wide diameter pattern impression. On the Second cut the "one cylinder" shows the same pattern of the wide diameter cutting impression that the Deck shows on the First cut.
Posted By: Oyvind Mopar

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 07:10 AM

And even more important if the block has been O-ringed is to avoid this!!!! I use a flat file to remove the remains on the surface. Everything you use that is compressible (like sandpaper or similar) will try to round off corners and although we are talking about margins, that could be critical. Thanks for sharing this!!
Posted By: moper

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:25 PM

No offense Dan - there is merit in a warning about using them improperly. That being said if he removed .060 of iron with a rotoloc he used more than a couple and certainly more than what was needed to remove a gasket. Maybe he was trying to remove the indent from the fire ring?
A monkey can destroy anything by not giving a crud.
I see nothing wrong with using the correct abrasive or "finger" disc sapringly to clean off residue, being careful to keep the debris out of the bores and coolant jacket. That is what the directions say to do... Me and thousands of others have been using them since they came out with no results like that when care is taken to do it right.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 12:56 PM

Quote:

No offense Dan - there is merit in a warning about using them improperly. That being said if he removed .060 of iron with a rotoloc he used more than a couple and certainly more than what was needed to remove a gasket. Maybe he was trying to remove the indent from the fire ring?
A monkey can destroy anything by not giving a crud.
I see nothing wrong with using the correct abrasive or "finger" disc sapringly to clean off residue, being careful to keep the debris out of the bores and coolant jacket. That is what the directions say to do... Me and thousands of others have been using them since they came out with no results like that when care is taken to do it right.

He didn't remove .060, more like .006-.007. I've been using abrasive discs for decades, the point here is that the deck of a block or head is not a good place to use them IMO. Buy the way, no offense taken.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 03:15 PM

Ok I have to ask, what kind of engine was this anyway?
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 04:13 PM

good post,and after working just 5months working only with dose disks and polishingmachines it has become very obvious that that kind of disks are horrible for that kind of use,its just as evident when polishing a surface to a mirrorsurface after using Roloc disks..
Posted By: moper

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/08/13 05:04 PM

lol.. I must have misread somewhere in there. Sorry Dan.
Posted By: wldtm

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 02:47 AM

Quote:

That being said, inexperienced hands can do a lot of damage in a hurry. Now a blue printed performance engine, different story. Not even the same animal.
Doug

Agreed!
Posted By: imfixinmopars426

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 11:02 AM

thanks for the warning...been using them for years,and yes...common sense goes a long way!!! anything abrasive,spinning 20,000 rpm can do some damage.never had anything come back by using them,but I never used one like a angle grinder either,lol...mike
Posted By: 85_Ram_4speed

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 11:33 AM

I was warned about these when going to school for Chrysler. I work for Cummins now (not wrenching now though), and they don't want us using them either, but they approve of the scotchbrite pads----which will put just as much garbage in the engine, but is easier on the deck surfaces doing it by hand vs a roloc on a die grinder. We have issues with protruding / dropped liners, so being carful on these engines is important.

The plastic bristle ones are approved though, but again, material gets flung all over, and yes, they can do damage to the surface too, albeit less IMO.

I am guilty of using them on decks, have for years, but I try very hard to keep it moving and not stay in one spot (kinda like leaving a belt sand in one spot on a piece of wood). Anyways, maybe its time to look at changing my methods when concerning deck surfaces.
Posted By: Crizila

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 02:13 PM

Could you please post a picture of a Roloc disc - the type used that caused the damage. Thanks.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 03:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

IMO, The pics arent proving your point. I see very large Uniform Diameter impression marks of different depths in the first two pics.

In your First pic, the Cylinder tops are untouched by your first shave but the deck clearly shows a wide diameter pattern impression. On the Second cut the "one cylinder" shows the same pattern of the wide diameter cutting impression that the Deck shows on the First cut.

The low/blue area at the immediate edge of the cylinders, could have been caused from too much grinding with a cookie, but those marks on the outside edges of the deck surface were made with something large in diameter..possibly an older Blockmaster with dull cutters and too fast of travel speed.

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

The low/blue area at the immediate edge of the cylinders, could have been caused from too much grinding with a cookie, but those marks on the outside edges of the deck surface were made with something large in diameter..possibly an older Blockmaster with dull cutters and too fast of travel speed.

This block is German made and is the two piece type where the entire main cage is unbolted in one piece to remove it. Every machined surface machined at the factory has a Ra value of less than 15 and that includes even the oil pan rail. this is the first time the engine has ever been apart. I guarantee this engine was not decked with a blockmaster. The circular patterns were made with the disc, whether you choose to believe it or not. You're looking at pictures and I was standing over the block, believe me, I can tell the difference.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 09:37 PM

Quote:

Just use a thicker head gasket and some RTV ...

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/09/13 10:46 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just use a thicker head gasket and some RTV ...

they make one thicker gasket. it's .08MM thicker (.0031")
Posted By: MPerry

Re: Do you use Roloc discs to clean gasket surfaces? - 10/10/13 12:15 AM

You mean your not supposed to build engines using a belt sander & a dingle hone???
Why would he use a Roloc on it before bringing it to a machine shop?
I'm not a huge fan of using them on engines but I am very careful/clean when using.
© 2024 Moparts Forums