Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

There are no secrets in overheating issues.You can probably diagnose that thing in less than 10 minutes with a temp gun.

Not if it's a tuning problem

You can diagnose that with a temp gun too. The entire cooling system will heat up properly but won't level out. Temp will drop across the radiator and there will be no crazy hot spots on the cooling system but the exhaust manifolds (and heat crossover if used) will be scorching hot.

That's when you start looking at the tune.

true! But he will have to drive the car more than 10 minutes to do that.

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: MASSMOPAR] #1513442
10/10/13 12:53 AM
10/10/13 12:53 AM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I got this rebuilt 440 hp .030 engine ---
Fires up runs great. BUT under normal
driving conditions she overheats - temp goes thru the roof.

Tried changing the water pump and the thermostat had no effect.

The radiator is hot on the bottom and cold at the top.

TOOK the thermostat completely out and temp stays at 170 degrees -
but I know that is not the correct solution.

What is going on?

even if the "tune" of the ignition/carb are "off" somewhat, the "issue" with overheating with/without the thermostat opens the door for a cracked block/head, bad head gasket....simple test won't cost you anything other than time, with the thermostat correctly installed, I'd recommend you also drill an 1/8" bleed hole in the thermostats base to rid the system of trapped air when filling the system,....fill the system, when installing the radiator cap, close it fully, then back it off (open) so that it's still somewhat locked on the tangs, but not sealed/spring loaded on the seat/seal, enough to allow pressure, and some fluid to escape, start the car, heat it up to operating temp, a few revs will clear out and overflow the radiator a little until a satifactory running level is established, then drive the car (sanely) see if it overheats, if not....time for head gaskets, or casting replacements (head/s block)...

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: Challenger 1] #1513443
10/10/13 12:23 PM
10/10/13 12:23 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

How in the hell do you know when your driving down the road that the lower hose is not collapsing? if it don't have a spring inside the lower hose?. If it doesn't have a spring than that's the part of the problem!!!

Because you rev the engine and observe the lower hose!!!

The hot rod was sucking the lower hose closed. I couldn't see it happen. However, when I revved the engine and held onto the hose I could feel the bend getting sucked flat on the back side.

I sacrificed a coat hanger and fixed the problem. It'll hold up as long as you don't run straight water.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: feets] #1513444
10/10/13 01:18 PM
10/10/13 01:18 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

How in the hell do you know when your driving down the road that the lower hose is not collapsing? if it don't have a spring inside the lower hose?. If it doesn't have a spring than that's the part of the problem!!!

The hot rod was sucking the lower hose closed. I couldn't see it happen. However, when I revved the engine and held onto the hose I could feel the bend getting sucked flat on the back side.

I sacrificed a coat hanger and fixed the problem. It'll hold up as long as you don't run straight water.

Gee...I didn't see the part where he has no spring in the lower hose! ....I assumed the basics were "done", how can anybody install a lower hose without a spring?...esp new hoses today, there so thinwall/cheap

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: DAYCLONA] #1513445
10/10/13 01:46 PM
10/10/13 01:46 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Gee...I didn't see the part where he has no spring in the lower hose! ....I assumed the basics were "done", how can anybody install a lower hose without a spring?...esp new hoses today, there so thinwall/cheap

Buying and installing a spring would cut into the bottom line

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: feets] #1513446
10/10/13 02:06 PM
10/10/13 02:06 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Not the same as driving it under load. Why would you even install it the first time without a spring feets?

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: JohnRR] #1513447
10/10/13 02:09 PM
10/10/13 02:09 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Buying and installing a spring would cut into the bottom line

So do we know for fact that the OP is going to "flip" the car?

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: Challenger 1] #1513448
10/10/13 04:59 PM
10/10/13 04:59 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

So do we know for fact that the OP is going to "flip" the car?

He is a used car dealer

Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: Challenger 1] #1513449
10/10/13 06:21 PM
10/10/13 06:21 PM
Irving, TX
feets Offline
Senior Management
feets  Offline
Senior Management

Irving, TX
Quote:

Not the same as driving it under load. Why would you even install it the first time without a spring feets?

I was assured that it was not required with new hose technology. Taking that for a line of crap, I filled the system with straight water and checked it out.

A hose with the spring was not available.

We are brothers and sisters doing time on the planet for better or worse. I'll take the better, if you don't mind.
- Stu Harmon
Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: feets] #1513450
10/10/13 07:23 PM
10/10/13 07:23 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
The part I find most confusing is the lower(inlet) section of the rad gets very hot all the way to the water pump and the upper (outlet) section is cool?
I think that's the conundrum! That just doesn't make any sense unless there's no water/coolant in the upper section of the radiator when you are checking.

On another note, I too had a timing issue. A bad vacuum advance canister on the distributor was causing the engine to produce excessive heat and would tend to overheat after cruising a few miles.

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: Copper Dart] #1513451
10/10/13 07:53 PM
10/10/13 07:53 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

On another note, I too had a timing issue. A bad vacuum advance canister on the distributor was causing the engine to produce excessive heat and would tend to overheat after cruising a few miles.

Was it leaking (vac) & making the mixture too lean & causing it to overheat from that? On the hose spring deal I curl a coat hangar wire around a broomstick handle to form it then bend the ends inward toward the center so as to avoid puncturing the hose wall then spiral it into the lower hose & call it good

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: RapidRobert] #1513452
10/12/13 01:11 PM
10/12/13 01:11 PM
West Palm Beach, Florida
Copper Dart Offline
pro stock
Copper Dart  Offline
pro stock

West Palm Beach, Florida
Not a vacuum leak/lean issue but more of a too retarded timing issue, I'm not certain how retarded timing causes that much heat.

The spring should be the same diameter as the inside of the hose and yes, ends bent in to avoid punctures.
IMO the lower hose on a closed/sealed coolant system shouldn't collapse unless you have a considerable restriction.

Common sense, the least common of all the senses.
Mom.

For fear of ridicule, society stifles creativity.
Ricky Valdes
Re: REBUILT 440 ENGINE overheats - HELP. [Re: Copper Dart] #1513453
10/12/13 01:43 PM
10/12/13 01:43 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Not a vacuum leak/lean issue but more of a too retarded timing issue, I'm not certain how retarded timing causes that much heat.

I can't explain it but it is an issue , really shows it's ugly head when one is breaking in a cam with not enough advance. Headers tubes were turning red just off the heads on the last one I did , crank the timing up to 35 still at the same 2000 rpm and they stopped glowing red.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4