New Jersey
C
Choppintime Offline OP
pro stock
Choppintime  Offline OP
pro stock
C

New Jersey
Wondering who has closest match. I've heard PPG, another guy told me chroma base. I plan on taking a color match photo off my car, but I'm wondering which product people prefer.

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: Choppintime] #1508634
09/28/13 11:06 AM
09/28/13 11:06 AM
T
Tropicalcats Offline
Tropicalcats  Offline
T

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: Tropicalcats] #1508635
09/28/13 12:12 PM
09/28/13 12:12 PM
Wisconsin
Stewpar Offline
master
Stewpar  Offline
master

Wisconsin
PPG by far Helps if you have original paint left on your car for them to match

Admiration For Multiple Carburetor Vehicles...
Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: Choppintime] #1508636
09/28/13 01:43 PM
09/28/13 01:43 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Wondering who has closest match. I've heard PPG, another guy told me chroma base. I plan on taking a color match photo off my car, but I'm wondering which product people prefer.

Closest match is subjective, as any skilled painter/mixer can alter any paint to "match" colour, and alter spray techniques to mimic factory finish,....you could have the so-called "magical" match, but application of the wrong base shade/primer, coverage technique, etc, etc, will alter your outcome...

Your first decision should be what kind of finish are you looking for?, factory single stage appearance, or High Gloss show car finish like a BC/CC paint job?

I know most will just jump in an say PPG,...PPG what? (only because they were the original supplier, nothing more) you could have that "magical" PPG paint code in hand, and if the mixer FUBARs the mix, that PPG finish is null and void...so basically what are the perimeters of your paint requirements?

Mike

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: Choppintime] #1508637
09/28/13 03:47 PM
09/28/13 03:47 PM
renton, Washington
ph23vo Offline
I Live Here
ph23vo  Offline
I Live Here

renton, Washington

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: ph23vo] #1508638
09/28/13 07:39 PM
09/28/13 07:39 PM
Lima, Peru
domingo Offline
EL Master
domingo  Offline
EL Master

Lima, Peru
I doubt any brand of paint will guarantee a perfect match.

Those paint combination formulas that you gett off the computer are just close matches....

You must mix the paint per the formula and then match it (play it by ear....or eye sight in this case) to an original non faded paint chip off your original car.

I guess PPG, Dupont, Sherwin Williams, Glasurit, Sikkens, all of those should have an ample enough color paletter to match any Muscle era Mopar Color.

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: domingo] #1508639
09/29/13 10:49 AM
09/29/13 10:49 AM
NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
M
MoparJoeMA Offline
MoparJoeMA  Offline
M

NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
Been restoring car's for over 25 years, have used them all at some point in time, here is what you have to remember when dealing with any automotive paint. Yes its true in the late 60's and earlie 70's ppg was the supplier to mother mopar however this paint was shipped in by the train car load, So any given color has about 4-5 different shades to it even when original and untouched.

No fast forward 40 years.. Enviromentalist and the EPA ect.. The tints are the key to any paint match and the trouble is the tints that every paint manufacturer used 40 years ago has been outlawed.

Single stage enamals such as ppg's delstar, Dupont's Centari, ect are not even alialable in some places in todays world. Now the have Urathane Enamal's that replace them. here again all different tints, Some colors are close and some colors are way off the charts as far as a match of any sort..

Get into the newer Base coat /Clear coat paints and now the new waterborn paints and it gets worse in most cases because these are all new tints that were not even around when these car's were built.. Most if not all the major paint companies have done a pretty good job reformulating the original formula's into the new formula's with the newer paints but the holy grail of a direct match to a 40 year old factory color is almost non exsistant..What you need is a good paint mix guy with a real good eye that understands how to tint it to the proper color, and keep in mind he may have to go out side the color formula to do it so document what is put into it to tint it...

Just an opinion.....

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: ph23vo] #1508640
09/29/13 01:07 PM
09/29/13 01:07 PM
New Jersey
C
Choppintime Offline OP
pro stock
Choppintime  Offline OP
pro stock
C

New Jersey
Quote:

ENTIRE THREAD ON IT

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...part=1&vc=1

Good reading and thanks for the opinions. My original paint areas look way more purple to me than silver. Going to photo match it and it will be done base/clear so hopefully we get it close.

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: Choppintime] #1508641
09/29/13 05:47 PM
09/29/13 05:47 PM
NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
M
MoparJoeMA Offline
MoparJoeMA  Offline
M

NewEngland ( Ma, Ct )
If your going base/clear with it they can mix it in small amounts.
I mix 1/2 pint at a time, Do a spray out card. ( ie put the base on a card let it flash and clear it) let it dry and see where you are color wise.. You might hit it semi lucky depending on who's paint your using ppg,dupont,sherwin. That will give you a real good baseline as to where the color needs to go ( ie more voilet, more silver ect )... If you have a good mix guy or you mix and tint yourself you should be able to bring it in from there unless its way off. Then I would color eye it. Remember the color match or color eye only gives you the closest formula that it has on record. So that doesn't mean because you color match it its going to be an exact match, it may still have to be tinted to get where you want to be with it.

Good luck with it.

Re: FC7 paint.....best shade/type? [Re: MoparJoeMA] #1508642
09/30/13 04:14 PM
09/30/13 04:14 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

If your going base/clear with it they can mix it in small amounts.
I mix 1/2 pint at a time, Do a spray out card. ( ie put the base on a card let it flash and clear it) let it dry and see where you are color wise.. You might hit it semi lucky depending on who's paint your using ppg,dupont,sherwin. That will give you a real good baseline as to where the color needs to go ( ie more voilet, more silver ect )... If you have a good mix guy or you mix and tint yourself you should be able to bring it in from there unless its way off. Then I would color eye it. Remember the color match or color eye only gives you the closest formula that it has on record. So that doesn't mean because you color match it its going to be an exact match, it may still have to be tinted to get where you want to be with it.

Good luck with it.

I've never had good luck with the "color eye" computer match, esp if using the Dupont Chroma Preimer system, I always revert back to the color keys, that way I can see all the tints/alts available, rather than relying on the one the puter choose for me, too often I've been told the "computer" has no formula in the paint base/mfg I've chosen, or no alts, or just 2 alts, yet the keys will have a greater choice/chance of matching

7870747-ppgcolorkeys.JPG (388 downloads)