09/16/13 10:27 PM
09/16/13 10:27 PM
New York
rarefish Offline OP
top fuel
rarefish  Offline OP
top fuel

New York
Just purchased a used 2013 Grand Caravan SXT. It was a prior rental car with 13k miles. The selling dealer only had one key fob for it and was not really interested in getting me another.
I check ebay and I see that there are new ones for around $65, but it will need to be programmed. How is it done and is there usually a charge?

Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: rarefish] #1502890
09/16/13 10:32 PM
09/16/13 10:32 PM
Omaha Nebraska
Brian_wo Offline
master
Brian_wo  Offline
master

Omaha Nebraska
depends,I have had them done for free.

You should not have agreed to buy it until they had the second one,at the very least they should program one for free.

who is that guy?
Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: rarefish] #1502891
09/16/13 10:40 PM
09/16/13 10:40 PM
MN
astrobuf Offline
mopar
astrobuf  Offline
mopar

MN
Read the owners manual or search a bit. Programming a key fob is easily done. Many cars require that you have two unique chip keys to do so.

If you only got one remote, does this mean you only got one of the original keys too?

Each of the original keys has a chip in it with a code stored on it that the cars computer knows. Getting a new chip key made can be done one of two ways. 1.) Cloning a key - this makes a copy of the code on your key and you now have two keys with the same number on them. Hardware stores do this inexpensively but don't really tell you this has limits. The cars computer will not allow you to program a new remote with these two keys as it only see's them as one.

2.) Making and Registering a key. This requires a dealer. They make a new key with a new code number on it. They use their master computer to tell the cars computer to store the new number in it's memory as a valid code. When done, you now have two distinct keys and can readily program a new remote.

If you have two original keys - you are golden and a cheap remote can be readily programmed to work

If you have two clone keys, you are screwed and will have to have the dealer make and register a new key. This will cost $300 - $500 depending upon the dealer and the key type. Once this is done, you can readily program a cheap remote.

So, how do I know this? I've had to do this and pay up.

Astrobuf

So, are you really a Rocket Scientist?
Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: Brian_wo] #1502892
09/16/13 10:56 PM
09/16/13 10:56 PM
New York
rarefish Offline OP
top fuel
rarefish  Offline OP
top fuel

New York
Quote:

depends,I have had them done for free.

You should not have agreed to buy it until they had the second one,at the very least they should program one for free.

You are right. The salesman played dumb with me. When I asked where is the second key was he said it must be in the van some where. I told him that I could not find it anywhere inside the vehicle. He then told me he would talk to the manager about finding a second key fob. Then pretty much dropped the subject and got on to filling out all the papers to complete the sale. I did not make a big deal about it then as I could tell they were getting a little pissed when I refused to buy their over priced extended warranty and I just wanted to get the whole thing over with.
Now I wished I would have stalled the deal right then until they came through with a second key fob.

Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: rarefish] #1502893
09/17/13 01:17 PM
09/17/13 01:17 PM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Copied from http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/4v9to-dodge-grand-caravan-sxt-bought-2010-grand-caravan.html

Programming yours should be the same.

Quote:

Expert: Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi,

here is programming procedure. If it doesnt work then the new key fob is defective:

Programming The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Module
1. Unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting the engine.
4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum five seconds (maximum ten seconds).
5. While still holding the UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press the PANIC button and release both at the same time. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module is set to receive the new Vehicle Access Code(s).
6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time. Then press and release any one of the buttons. The BCM will sound an abbreviated chime to acknowledge that the programming of the transmitter has been completed and was successful.
7. Repeat step 6 for all transmitters that will be used with this vehicle, up to 4 total.
8. Programming mode will last for 30 seconds. To get out of programming mode sooner, turn the ignition OFF. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module will no longer accept additional Vehicle Access Code(s).
9. When Vehicle Access Code(s) programming is complete, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and verify RKE system operation using each key fob.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1502894
09/17/13 09:26 PM
09/17/13 09:26 PM
New York
rarefish Offline OP
top fuel
rarefish  Offline OP
top fuel

New York
Quote:

Copied from http://www.justanswer.com/dodge/4v9to-dodge-grand-caravan-sxt-bought-2010-grand-caravan.html

Programming yours should be the same.

Quote:

Expert: Eric replied 2 years ago.

Hi,

here is programming procedure. If it doesnt work then the new key fob is defective:

Programming The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Module
1. Unlock the vehicle and disarm the Vehicle Theft Security System.
2. Insert ignition key into the ignition switch.
3. Turn the ignition switch to RUN position without starting the engine.
4. Using a functional key fob transmitter, press and hold the UNLOCK button for a minimum five seconds (maximum ten seconds).
5. While still holding the UNLOCK button, and before ten seconds passes, press the PANIC button and release both at the same time. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module is set to receive the new Vehicle Access Code(s).
6. Within 30 seconds of the chime, press and release the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time. Then press and release any one of the buttons. The BCM will sound an abbreviated chime to acknowledge that the programming of the transmitter has been completed and was successful.
7. Repeat step 6 for all transmitters that will be used with this vehicle, up to 4 total.
8. Programming mode will last for 30 seconds. To get out of programming mode sooner, turn the ignition OFF. A single chime will sound to verify that the RKE module will no longer accept additional Vehicle Access Code(s).
9. When Vehicle Access Code(s) programming is complete, turn the ignition switch to the OFF position and verify RKE system operation using each key fob.

While searching last night, I also came across that same posting, but I have the same problem as the person in the posting. I too have only one key fob and I believe that you need two that are already programmed for you car in order to program another yourself.

I called a local Dodge dealer and they told me to program a new fob, it would cost $30-$40. To buy the fob alone, they said it would be $152. If you want to include the emergency door key with the fob, add another $30.

Re: Cost to get a key fob programmed? [Re: rarefish] #1502895
09/17/13 10:50 PM
09/17/13 10:50 PM
Catskill, NY
T
teflon Offline
enthusiast
teflon  Offline
enthusiast
T

Catskill, NY
You will need to see your dealer, fob must be programmed using Witech pod and software with vehicle pin number. Fob price depends on if vehicle is equipped with sliding doors, power liftgate, remote start, etc...