08/26/13 09:05 PM
08/26/13 09:05 PM
Montreal PQ, Canada
74_360_Cuda Offline OP
enthusiast
74_360_Cuda  Offline OP
enthusiast

Montreal PQ, Canada
I have installed the Borgeson box on my 74 Cuda and I am really happy with it (thanks Bergsman Auto). At the same time I have decided to go with a new pump and a March pulley kit (the one with two serpentine).

Since I was changing the pump I have decided to go with the key way pulley option. I've bought the Tuff Stuff universal, chromed, 1200 PSI pump and had custom made hose.

I've immediately started to have oil leak from overflow, I though I had too much oil and have lowered the level a couple times until one day I've lost the power assist in a parking lot. I was not far from home so I drove back home and noticed that the pump was very hot and the oil was smelly. I am now convinced that my problem was the pump overheating.

I did some googling/reading and found some thread saying that if the pump have too much flow it would generate more heat by recirculating the unnecessary flow Inside the pump. I've also found that back in the days the key way pump had more flow than the press fit pulleys. I wonder if this is still true for today's after market pumps?

The problem is that nobody are publishing their pump flow in their specifications and I have no clue what the Borgeson (Delphie) box demand.

So I am not sure what should be my next step, buy a different pump? Go back to press fit pulley? Just add a cooler to my existing setup? Tear down and inspect the pump for internal damage (started to work again after cool down and added oil)? Any risk that I have damaged the new box?

If the theory about too much flow is true then I guess a cooler on the return line would not help much...

BTW, the March pulley ratio is approx. 1.2 and the pump don't line up properly with the crank pulley (alternator is OK)
Looking for your advices,

Last edited by 74_360_Cuda; 08/26/13 09:13 PM.
Re: Need help from power steering guru's [Re: 74_360_Cuda] #1491312
08/26/13 10:25 PM
08/26/13 10:25 PM
Nebraska
72Swinger Offline
master
72Swinger  Offline
master

Nebraska
I think you have much pump. I don't know but there is a thread here on my install. I used a circle track,CVR?, pump kit that nothing more that a newer OEM gm/jeep/dodge T style pump with a universal Chevy mount and an aluminum v pulley. My steering setup has been flawless with this setup. Sometimes less is more. I just re-read my own thread my pump is a PPS unit and is rated to 1250 psi so you of just had an pocket. I now I cycled the wheel back and forth and turned the pulley by hand with no belt a bunch and then let it sit over night to before giving it hell. Might make a difference, or not.

Last edited by 72Swinger; 08/26/13 10:44 PM.

Mopar to the bone!!!