autoxcuda Offline
Too Many Posts
autoxcuda  Offline
Too Many Posts

So Cal
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

First, NMSEd thanks for being part of the discussions.

If this question has been answered, sorry, I don't recall seeing it.
Why weren't the holes punched in the same fashion as the picture shown?

Because the holes were not flared in the 1st generation of the OEM Filter made for Chrysler, the holes were punched with flat edges. Only after the perforating tooling became dull and a burr started to appear on the punch down side was the change to the tooling made, and the flared hole iteration began.

What do you consider first generation ? O.E.M. from 1972,also have one in black from 1970.

Is there any marking or molding into the actual filter rubber to signify a production date/period of the filter that is in a box?

So your box copyrighted 1970 has a filter molded in black? Any indication a assembly line filter was molded black?

There's got to be period pictures of original oval air cleaners from when these cars were new?

What about pictures of these air cleaner in those Chrysler Training film strips?

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: NMSEd] #1485597
09/29/13 11:37 AM
09/29/13 11:37 AM
It's a dry heat
gtx6970 Offline
Too Many Posts
gtx6970  Offline
Too Many Posts

It's a dry heat
Quote:

Because the holes were not flared in the 1st generation of the OEM Filter made for Chrysler, the holes were punched with flat edges. Only after the perforating tooling became dull and a burr started to appear on the punch down side was the change to the tooling made, and the flared hole iteration began.

Not trying to be a negative nelly.
But I would like to see some info to back this claim up.

I've been around these cars since the mid 70's . And although back then nobody cared about these kinds of details ( myself included) I honestly can't remember ever seeing an oval filter element that was flat screen .

The 1972 on the labels above is 'probably' not the date the filter was produced. It was nothing more than the date the label style+color was copyrighted.

These is some more info , here
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1333584692

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: gtx6970] #1485598
09/29/13 12:52 PM
09/29/13 12:52 PM
JERSEY
RJS Offline
master
RJS  Offline
master

JERSEY
Quote:

Quote:

I've been around these cars since the mid 70's . And although back then nobody cared about these kinds of details ( myself included) I honestly can't remember ever seeing an oval filter element that was flat screen .

The 1972 on the labels above is 'probably' not the date the filter was produced. It was nothing more than the date the label style+color was copyrighted.

These is some more info , here
http://a12mopar.com/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1333584692

I have to agree with Bill here.
Not trying to be a doubter but I never saw that myself.
Ron

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: RJS] #1485599
09/29/13 03:56 PM
09/29/13 03:56 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I have to agree with Bill here.
Not trying to be a doubter but I never saw that myself.
Ron

Nice product, glad to see it's fruition to market place.....

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: DAYCLONA] #1485600
09/29/13 11:56 PM
09/29/13 11:56 PM
ky hills
thehemikid Offline
top fuel
thehemikid  Offline
top fuel

ky hills
I'm seeing variations in the rubber thickness. Not as bad as what I've seen with the others recently, but still catches the eye.

Anyone pulled the trigger yet? Satisfied with the quality? I'm gun shy.

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485601
09/30/13 12:07 PM
09/30/13 12:07 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

I'm seeing variations in the rubber thickness. Not as bad as what I've seen with the others recently, but still catches the eye.

Anyone pulled the trigger yet? Satisfied with the quality? I'm gun shy.

I've got NOS filters,some of the CA-332's without the outer shield (still FRAM issue) and a few of the last FRAM CA-332V Vintage releases,......guess what?, the rubber thickness varies so much on ALL of them, I don't need to measure it, and these are so-called "originals"...

You can study the minutia ad nauseam, I don't think you'll EVER see anything else come to market from FRAM or anyone else ever again...just remember like most repros when there gone, there gone, except maybe that recent cheapy offshore repro of the CA-332, I'm sure they'll be plenty of those to go around....he who waits, often goes without,

I'm sure even if FRAM pulled the trigger on another run of filters, some here would still be filled with dread,hand wringing, needing consolation, group therapy, etc, etc while still looking for any sign of aberration, next up, will be the "Moparts group discount" request....it's just a filter, geez

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: DAYCLONA] #1485602
09/30/13 05:12 PM
09/30/13 05:12 PM
ky hills
thehemikid Offline
top fuel
thehemikid  Offline
top fuel

ky hills
Not looking for absolute perfection, just "some" quality. Not $125 worth of this (pic). This was just a filter too, & I sent it back! 2 others also,... because they looked this ugly. Would you pay $158 for this 30' filter (pic).

The filter being discussed in this thread though looks to be a little better than the others, to the point I might purchase. Was hoping for feed back of a "fairly decent looking" filter from someones purchase. So that I might not have to go through another return! geez

Edit: Pic is of previous filters, NOT a NMS filter.

7870781-2ndfilter1a.jpg (127 downloads)
Last edited by thehemikid; 10/01/13 07:15 AM.
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485603
09/30/13 05:27 PM
09/30/13 05:27 PM
Ontario, Canada
mccannix Offline
master
mccannix  Offline
master

Ontario, Canada
I wouldn't even give credit to that filter by calling it a second....I'd call that a third at least, maybe a forth...

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485604
09/30/13 05:42 PM
09/30/13 05:42 PM
New State
kidmopar Offline
master
kidmopar  Offline
master

New State
OK! I have to 'jump-in' the fray ......

I just purchased & received 2 of these "Sixpack" filters from NMS Performance Products and have to say they are OUTSTANDING! We should all be VERY grateful that Ed , Paula & family have taken this project on. Unless you want to spend $500 & up for a NOS filter that is more valuable "In the Box" than filtering the air your Mopar breathes , you have to get one of these filters. At $125 + S&H , NMS certainly can't be making money on these. They are light years better than the "China" re-pops that came out a month or so ago. The Look , fit & quality are very apparent on these *U.S.A.* made filters. As previously stated above , Ed actually helped design the originals in the first place! He has spent countless hours making this product as accurately as humanly possible. My hat is off to them for making this filter possible for our hobby. Lastly , NO , I'm not being compensated in ANY way for writing this .....

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: kidmopar] #1485605
09/30/13 06:00 PM
09/30/13 06:00 PM
ky hills
thehemikid Offline
top fuel
thehemikid  Offline
top fuel

ky hills
Thank you, thank you very much, (with my best Elvis accent). Got a pic?

Pic of my 1st one,...see why I'm gun shy!

Edit: Pic is of previous filters, NOT a NMS filter.

7870837-1stone.jpg (118 downloads)
Last edited by thehemikid; 10/01/13 07:17 AM.
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: kidmopar] #1485606
09/30/13 06:01 PM
09/30/13 06:01 PM
Mass
DAYCLONA Offline
I Live Here
DAYCLONA  Offline
I Live Here

Mass
Quote:

OK! I have to 'jump-in' the fray ......

I just purchased & received 2 of these "Sixpack" filters from NMS Performance Products and have to say they are OUTSTANDING! We should all be VERY grateful that Ed , Paula & family have taken this project on. Unless you want to spend $500 & up for a NOS filter that is more valuable "In the Box" than filtering the air your Mopar breathes , you have to get one of these filters. At $125 + S&H , NMS certainly can't be making money on these. They are light years better than the "China" re-pops that came out a month or so ago. The Look , fit & quality are very apparent on these *U.S.A.* made filters. As previously stated above , Ed actually helped design the originals in the first place! He has spent countless hours making this product as accurately as humanly possible. My hat is off to them for making this filter possible for our hobby. Lastly , NO , I'm not being compensated in ANY way for writing this .....

Good to hear,...I'll be waiting for my order to appear shortly, no way was I going to buy that off-shore repro offered recently, that was almost as bad as some of the NOS filters out there

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485607
09/30/13 06:10 PM
09/30/13 06:10 PM
New State
kidmopar Offline
master
kidmopar  Offline
master

New State
"Thehemikid" ,

I too ALMOST bought one of those 'POS' China re-pops a month or so ago & from your photos am GLAD I didn't! I am not good at posting photos here on Moparts , however rest assured the filters from NMS Performance products are absolutely an awesome , quality product! You will NOT be disappointed. I actually wish I could show mine of a little better , but it is hidden under my Shaker scoop!

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: kidmopar] #1485608
09/30/13 07:20 PM
09/30/13 07:20 PM
western australia
1cuda Offline
mopar
1cuda  Offline
mopar

western australia
Quote:

"Thehemikid" ,

I actually wish I could show mine of a little better , but it is hidden under my Shaker scoop!

easy-i`ll take the shaker setup off of your hands and you can run an open setup to show the beautiful filter...
great feedback on the proper filter remade in u.s.a.
i will be ordering a few.
all the best
frank.

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: 1cuda] #1485609
09/30/13 10:20 PM
09/30/13 10:20 PM
NY
70440+6bbl Offline
master
70440+6bbl  Offline
master

NY
I have a couple on the way as well. I'll report back once received.

'70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 4.10 Dana N96 EB5
‘70 Super Bee 440 6 pack 4-spd 3.54 Dana FC7
‘70 ‘Cuda 440+6bbl 4-spd 3.54 Dana N96 EB5 V1W

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: 62maxwgn] #1485610
10/01/13 12:17 AM
10/01/13 12:17 AM
Florida
N
NMSEd Offline
NMSEd  Offline
N

Florida
Quote:

What do you consider first generation ? O.E.M. from 1972,also have one in black from 1970.

I appologize, we've been quite busy in the shop working on another project so I havent had a chance to answer some of the questions looming until now.

The first generation of the Filter was in the late 1960's, by the time your 1972 was produced the tooling was reconfigured to fix the problem with the burr that developed once the tooling die started to dull. The dimple was added to keep the possibility of the burr side of the band (if assembled "burr side in") from chafing the filter media and tearing a hole. You can see a good example of this burr in a recent thread posted here

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...&PHPSESSID=

Ive also attached an image of an original OEM Filter which shows the flat holes. The element is quite rusted, and even has substantial deterioration of the plastisol seal exposing the bottom of the band, but you can see the flat hole version.

7871548-OEM_chrysler.jpg (94 downloads)

NMS Performance Products www.nmsperformance.net
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485611
10/01/13 12:40 AM
10/01/13 12:40 AM
Florida
N
NMSEd Offline
NMSEd  Offline
N

Florida
I do admire your passion for your cars, I have the same passion for the filter industry that I have spent the past 40 years in.

It was never our statement that any of the versions of the filter were "correct" or "incorrect". Some of the iterations of the filter were produced simultaneously, depending on which plant was tasked with the current order in hand. So they are all "correct". The question was asked WHY we chose to produce our reproduction element with a flat hole screen. And the answer was that we chose to make them that way because of my first hand knowledge of the way that the OEM filter was originally produced. If you prefer to have a filter with the dimpled screen or to use a K&N that is certainly your choice to make. We will never please everyone.

We are confident that we have produced a quality product.

(and just to be clear: those images of the horrible reproductions were NOT our filters, it was not made clear with those posts, and we do not want our product to be mistakenly associated with those images.)

Thank you for taking the time to look at our product.

NMS Performance Products www.nmsperformance.net
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: NMSEd] #1485612
10/01/13 07:07 AM
10/01/13 07:07 AM
ky hills
thehemikid Offline
top fuel
thehemikid  Offline
top fuel

ky hills
Quote:

I do admire your passion for your cars, I have the same passion for the filter industry that I have spent the past 40 years in.

It was never our statement that any of the versions of the filter were "correct" or "incorrect". Some of the iterations of the filter were produced simultaneously, depending on which plant was tasked with the current order in hand. So they are all "correct". The question was asked WHY we chose to produce our reproduction element with a flat hole screen. And the answer was that we chose to make them that way because of my first hand knowledge of the way that the OEM filter was originally produced. If you prefer to have a filter with the dimpled screen or to use a K&N that is certainly your choice to make. We will never please everyone.

We are confident that we have produced a quality product.

(and just to be clear: those images of the horrible reproductions were NOT our filters, it was not made clear with those posts, and we do not want our product to be mistakenly associated with those images.)

Thank you for taking the time to look at our product.

I thought I was clear enough when I said in my 1st post, this...

...The filter being discussed in this thread though looks to be a little better than the others, to the point I might purchase. Was hoping for feed back of a "fairly decent looking" filter from someones purchase. So that I might not have to go through another return!

...but I can see how it wasn't clear enough. Thanks for pointing that out, & I didn't mean to leave a bad impression on yours.

So I'll make it more clear now. The second post/pic was NOT NMS's filter. It was the 1st filter I bought from some one else. I'd rather not mention names (on an open forum) to not hurt there other part(s) sales.

The 1st post I made had a pic of the second filter, NOT from NMS, but from the same place. It was a replacement for the 1st purchase. A little better but still ugly.

They NOT NMS, sent me a 3rd filter to replace the 2nd. It was a little better than the second but was still not good enough. So I figured I didn't need to waste any more of there money (shipping) or my time & went with a refund. They had worked with me & had no problem with that.

Back to your filter Ed, ...I mentioned that "yours looked better than the others to the point that I might purchase". I also was asking/hoping for some one who had purchased your NMS filter for a feed back of "fairly decent looking" of which someone did. He understood those pics were some one elses filter & not NMS & answered my feed back with your NMS filter being (I don't remember the exact word, but) OUTSTANDING.

So, I've looked at your Filter, (& by the way thanks for the pics) & am closer to a purchase now than I was at my first post.

I hope you can understand by my dealing with those other filters why I'm a little gun shy.

If those post will alloy me to edit I'll try'n fix some clarity.

Last edited by thehemikid; 10/01/13 07:09 AM.
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: ragtop] #1485613
10/01/13 10:19 AM
10/01/13 10:19 AM
South-Central (Sebring), FL
Commando1 Offline
master
Commando1  Offline
master

South-Central (Sebring), FL
Amazing.
1,900 views and 36 replies about a replacement air filter...

Last edited by Commando1; 10/01/13 10:20 AM.
Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: thehemikid] #1485614
10/01/13 10:39 AM
10/01/13 10:39 AM
DELAWARE
TONY_DAGOSTINO Offline
master
TONY_DAGOSTINO  Offline
master

DELAWARE
hi

i dont know how to copy a frame from a video or else i would have posted that

below is a link to a 69 gtx introduction video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKvjJ_Lg3us&list=FLRiNzOUagQ7Tejavby3xyhw&index=14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKvjJ_Lg3us&list=FLRiNzOUagQ7Tejavby3xyhw&index=14

if you go to 3 minutes and 17 seconds into the video you will see that the air filter screen is flat, not puckered

i know there are some inconsistencies with this car and production cars, but i dont believe the air filter would have been a different configuration

also, if you watch the whole video, you can see how the console topplates dont line up just right, as they often dont today

Re: Best price for repro Fram Six Pack air filter [Re: cudaized] #1485615
10/01/13 01:59 PM
10/01/13 01:59 PM
South, FL
cudaized Offline
top fuel
cudaized  Offline
top fuel

South, FL
Quote:

Quote:

These look good. Anyone bought one?

Yes. I purchased one.

I did purchase one on September 15, 2013 at a South Florida car show. I spoke with Ed for a long while. I am very happy with my filter that I purchased from him. It fits great under my SHAKER scoop.
Here is a link to the post I started:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=2#Post7854080

I should be receiving one of Ed's newest filters (FRAM CA-305) for a 1970 340 tomorrow. I have also posted about my original SPD 203 1970 340 air filter in this post:

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/show...e=0#Post7870402

Ola Nilsson

Quote:

Not looking for absolute perfection, just "some" quality...

100%
I hope that any vendor or company that takes the time and effort to reproduce an item, to make it correct. Yes, we all know about tooling, labor cost, design changes, bla bla bla, etc. Make a product correct (or close to it) and we will buy it.

7872207-09.JPG (84 downloads)
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3