Tri Cities TN area
H
Hailtheleaf538 Offline OP
Never Misses A Coffee Break
Hailtheleaf538  Offline OP
H

Tri Cities TN area
Took the ragged ass e brock carb off of it, put an AFB on ive had for 15 years laying around. That and change the fuel pump ?), relocated the line and filter away from the manifold to keep heat down.NON ETHANOL gas only now. Has been running great, but seemed rich. Adjusting mixture screws at the front, doing what it was doing before I changed the stuff. Idling up and down, covered the primaries with my hand, idled waaaay down died. What is it? Vacuum leak? Drove perfect this morn and last week...now doing like it was before....the mixture screws hardly effect the idle like they normally do....doing like before now again.....hmmm

what say you guys?

if its a vacuum leak, why did it just start?

Anybody that takes the time to respond with advice, I thank in advance...

just frustraring because it has been doing great aside from the kickdown isssue What gives guys?

Organized Labor: The people that brought you the weekend. If you can't grasp the meaning of the phrase "tongue in cheek", don't respond. 1970 H code Swinger, Top Banana 2012 Liberty Jet 4x4 True Blue Pearl
Re: ok now what? [Re: Hailtheleaf538] #1475305
07/28/13 04:57 PM
07/28/13 04:57 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI
Have you tried changing the needles and jets?

Re: ok now what? [Re: In_The_Pink] #1475306
07/28/13 05:00 PM
07/28/13 05:00 PM
Tri Cities TN area
H
H

Tri Cities TN area
No not yet....havent ever fooled with an afb or e brock......im ju st wonderinfbwhy when I eun the screws in and out it doesnt have much effect on idle?

Organized Labor: The people that brought you the weekend. If you can't grasp the meaning of the phrase "tongue in cheek", don't respond. 1970 H code Swinger, Top Banana 2012 Liberty Jet 4x4 True Blue Pearl
Re: ok now what? [Re: Hailtheleaf538] #1475307
07/28/13 08:06 PM
07/28/13 08:06 PM
Florida
S
scratchnfotraction Offline
I Live Here
scratchnfotraction  Offline
I Live Here
S

Florida
afb/edelbrocks are simple to clean and adjust.

unscreww the air/fuel mixture screws and give a shot of air from the airhose..short blast into the needle hole.

now look up in the top airhorn, look for the airbleed holes and give them a short blast of air.

watch for fuel spray out the vent.

this will help remove any dirt/trash you have in the airbleeds.

if you open the carb for a rebuild, remove jets and blow them with air and all ports/passages with it torn apart.

edelbrocks are good carbs till they get a little dirty and start having issues.

make sure the manual throttle is not up to high, it needs to be on the idle circut and not pulling fuel from the transfer slots.

looking on the bottom side at the primary throttle blades you want the slot to be a small square and not a rectangle.

if you need/want to open the e-brock and just clean it, you need to order just a gasket kit..which runs a round 12-15 bux, if you want a new accel pump and gaskets misc parts order a rebuild kit, it runs around 30-40 bux.

if you need help rebuilding it, i have one on the shelf I can walk you thru with.

Last edited by scratchnfotraction; 07/28/13 08:10 PM.
Re: ok now what? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1475308
07/28/13 09:37 PM
07/28/13 09:37 PM
Milwaukee, WI
In_The_Pink Offline
master
In_The_Pink  Offline
master

Milwaukee, WI

Re: ok now what? [Re: scratchnfotraction] #1475309
07/28/13 11:47 PM
07/28/13 11:47 PM
Tri Cities TN area
H
H

Tri Cities TN area
Quote:

afb/edelbrocks are simple to clean and adjust.

unscreww the air/fuel mixture screws and give a shot of air from the airhose..short blast into the needle hole.

now look up in the top airhorn, look for the airbleed holes and give them a short blast of air.

watch for fuel spray out the vent.

this will help remove any dirt/trash you have in the airbleeds.

if you open the carb for a rebuild, remove jets and blow them with air and all ports/passages with it torn apart.

edelbrocks are good carbs till they get a little dirty and start having issues.

make sure the manual throttle is not up to high, it needs to be on the idle circut and not pulling fuel from the transfer slots.

looking on the bottom side at the primary throttle blades you want the slot to be a small square and not a rectangle.

if you need/want to open the e-brock and just clean it, you need to order just a gasket kit..which runs a round 12-15 bux, if you want a new accel pump and gaskets misc parts order a rebuild kit, it runs around 30-40 bux.

if you need help rebuilding it, i have one on the shelf I can walk you thru with.

Hey man I really appreciate it.....thank for the thorough explaination, ui believe you covered it top to bottom and sideways. Tthing is, I probably won't be off again for a minute like I was this weekend .....No biggie though, Im thankful to be working like I am.

Once again, I appreciate you taking the time to answer so indepth,a dn thanks to everybody else to, all your suggestions are valuable to me. Bookmarked.