JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

After sleeping on this, I bet that bellhousing needed to be indexed even though it was stock, and was just a bit too far off

This , new bellhousing , it is not indexed to the engine . Original bellhousing are attached to the engine block when it is being machined and mated to it .

I can see that you have never been in an engine machining / assembly plant.

The only thing attached to an engine block for machining is the bearing caps or main bearing bedplate (if equipped).

A bellhousing is machined separately, most likely in a separate plant, or at a minimum in a separate area of the plant, and taken off a palate or feeder and randomly selected to be bolted to the back of an engine. This is a relatively non-critical joint as far as geometry goes.

I'm going to GUESS that you did not work for Chrysler in their engine plant back in the 60's? ... Neither did I .... I see that you are were a Diesel development Engineer and have probably forgotten more than I know, but ....

I don't know if I saved it but on more than one occasion a picture has been posted on this website during a discussion about this subject ... indexing a bellhousing ... showing Chrysler engine blocks before/awaiting assembly and it clearly shows EMPTY blocks both with and without bellhousings attached to them waiting for their turn.

I put a stock '513 alum 130 tooth bellhousing on the back of a 68 383 block and checked the runout , it wasn't even close to the factory allowable spec ...

Last edited by JohnRR; 07/24/13 11:47 AM.
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473180
07/24/13 11:53 AM
07/24/13 11:53 AM
maryland
74yellowduster Offline
74yellowduster  Offline

maryland
well it all came to a head...

sorry for your loss bro.

for future reference
internal balance (forged crank) = neutral harmonic balancer, neutral flywheel (standard shift) neutral torque converter/flexplate combo (automatic)

external balance (cast crank) = offset-weighted harmonic balancer (specific to engine model) offset-weighted flywheel (standard shift) offset-weighted flexplate (if using B&M flexplate with neutral torqe converter) or offset-weighted torque converter /stock flexplate

any suspect clutch/flywheel/pressureplate components (cracks or heat glazed) should be junked and replaced because of clutch explosion dangers. a blow-proof bell housing (high tensile steel SFI approved) is preferred over the cast iron stock bell housing for any performance builds.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473181
07/24/13 11:56 AM
07/24/13 11:56 AM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Seems like the problem bounced around a bit, but in the old thread ph23vo mentions you might have the big rod.
If your engine has the "six pack rods" which were much bigger than the LY rods you need to have a specific harmonic balancer, AS WELL as a specific flywheel. Even though it is a steel crank. With the six pack rods there isn't enough weight on the counter balance weights of the crank to offset the weight of the rods.

If you DO have the six pack rods, then AFTER you get the proper balancer (it will look assymetrical, with more weight on one side)you then need to have the whole rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank, balancer, and flywheel) ALL BALANCED TOGETHER.

IF you DON'T have six pack rods, then you need to get a harmonic dampner and flyhweel that are completely symmetrical (no weights on one side)
and it should still be balanced, although this time balanced without the dampner and flywheel.

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 07/24/13 11:58 AM.
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: VoodooCLD] #1473182
07/24/13 12:06 PM
07/24/13 12:06 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

Seems like the problem bounced around a bit, but in the old thread ph23vo mentions you might have the big rod.
If your engine has the "six pack rods" which were much bigger than the LY rods you need to have a specific harmonic balancer, AS WELL as a specific flywheel. Even though it is a steel crank. With the six pack rods there isn't enough weight on the counter balance weights of the crank to offset the weight of the rods.

If you DO have the six pack rods, then AFTER you get the proper balancer (it will look assymetrical, with more weight on one side)you then need to have the whole rotating assembly (pistons, rods, crank, balancer, and flywheel) ALL BALANCED TOGETHER.

IF you DON'T have six pack rods, then you need to get a harmonic dampner and flyhweel that are completely symmetrical (no weights on one side)
and it should still be balanced, although this time balanced without the dampner and flywheel.

68 wouldn't have big rods but they could have been swapped in but you don't really need to have it external balance. I had a big rod/heavy TRW piston rod combo internal balanced , small amout of weight added back to the crank. I prefer internal balnce over external balance.

68 , when you get the flywheel off put up a picture of both side s please.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473183
07/24/13 12:12 PM
07/24/13 12:12 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
On the loose bolt theories, I do know a guy who installed his 18 spline 833 with only one bolt holding it to the bellhousing. The others were stipped/didn't line up, so he figured he'd just let it fly.

The car in question is a plum crazy '70 440 Six Pack 4 speed Super Track Pack Charger R/T, mind you, with a white interior (pretty car).

Well he drove it around a few miles, proceeded to lay into it a bit, and around the time he tried to yank second he started to lose the shifter. Despite his best efforts to hold the tranny in the car with the pistol grip, he could not, and through the transmission tunnel it went!

It doesn't really make a point regarding your problem, but a funny story that relates somewhat, and might make you feel a little better with a laugh.

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: JohnRR] #1473184
07/24/13 12:13 PM
07/24/13 12:13 PM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

68 wouldn't have big rods but they could have been swapped in but you don't really need to have it external balance. I had a big rod/heavy TRW piston rod combo internal balanced , small amout of weight added back to the crank. I prefer internal balnce over external balance.

68 , when you get the flywheel off put up a picture of both side s please.

Yes, you can internally balance a heavy rotating assembly, but the odds of someone doing that on a standard rebuild without you specifically requesting it are pretty slim.

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 07/24/13 12:14 PM.
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: GTX MATT] #1473185
07/24/13 12:21 PM
07/24/13 12:21 PM
CT
GTX MATT Offline
master
GTX MATT  Offline
master

CT
I read your old post from 09 linked above. It looks like you didn't have the problem, replaced your flywheel and your cracked bellhousing with a new one, and had a problem. BUT it didn't vibrate without the transmission installed. Did I follow that correctly?

If that is correct it really sounds like, even if you did index the bellhousing, it wasn't indexed correctly and you had a serious input shaft/crankshaft misalignment, causing your vibration and this eventual carnage. Do you recall what the runout was when you indexed it?

Why did you have to trim the input shaft?

Now I need to pin those needles, got to feel that heat
Hear my motor screamin while I'm tearin up the street
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: VoodooCLD] #1473186
07/24/13 12:33 PM
07/24/13 12:33 PM
Rogue River, OR
Jeremiah Offline
master
Jeremiah  Offline
master

Rogue River, OR
Does the car have classic car insurance like Hagerty or something? I'd be making a call to my rep.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: Jeremiah] #1473187
07/24/13 12:46 PM
07/24/13 12:46 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
S
superbeedave Offline
mopar
superbeedave  Offline
mopar
S

Cincinnati, Ohio
If I may give my worth. You said on your prior post back in 2009 that when you had the car up on the lift you said and I quote (i noticed the tranny mount looked kinda sideways also) Why would a trans mount go sideways? Is everything from the rearend thru the drive shaft thru trans. up to the engine inline correctly. Or is it possibly pulling to one side so much that the whole assembly is cocked which would cause your mount to go sideways or vibration. Was this car ever wrecked in the rear? Hey, I'm just asking! I know that could be a stupid question but it seems like he has tried everything unless your machine shop or anyone that has done work on your engine/trans is lying about performing the balancing that is required.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: Jeremiah] #1473188
07/24/13 12:54 PM
07/24/13 12:54 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Other than what has already been mentioned I can only ask one other question,
Did the ID of the bell housing match the OD of the front bearing retainer on the trans. ???? I have seen a couple of vehicles come through the shop with carnage similar to yours and the root cause was mismatched bearing retainer to bell housing ID.
I might also suggest a scatter shield in lieu of a stock bell housing. They are 40+ years old and questionable at best

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473189
07/24/13 01:08 PM
07/24/13 01:08 PM
UP
F
finn Offline
mopar
finn  Offline
mopar
F

UP
From his third picture it almost looks like the crankshaft is broken.

If so then the transmission / belhousing carnage is collateral damage.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: finn] #1473190
07/24/13 01:22 PM
07/24/13 01:22 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
OP, I broke a stock cast bellhouisng like that due to a driveshaft vibration, my fault for driiving the car with a vibration mine was a 1965 Dodge with the old ball and trunion driveshaft, I changed the clutch out and found that someone had put a set of nuts between the driveshaft front U joint and the tailshaft yoke I removed them and tighten it up properly, it(the driveshaft) was to short and tha bound up the front B & T joint making it vibrate Sorry for your carnaged, mine broke the input shaft and bellhousing only I replace the driveshaft and all the broken parts and never had another issue with that car Make sure nothing vibrates in the car in neutral or going down the road

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: VoodooCLD] #1473191
07/24/13 02:44 PM
07/24/13 02:44 PM
Missouri
68KillerBee Offline OP
master
68KillerBee  Offline OP
master

Missouri
Woke up to let the puppy out. I'll try to answer all questions quickly.

I do not know what the runout was on it either time. Sometimes they tell you to trim the input if you have a certain bearing in the crank, can't think off the top of my head. But that is what the transmission guys will say (mopar specific guys). It did not change anything, so they replaced that completely.
I don't remember what I meant when I said it looked sideways. I probably just didn't know what I was looking at, at the time haha. That was probably about the time I overhauled my first transmission on my car. If anything, I'd imagine we replaced the transmission mount. Pretty sure even twice. We were literally trying everything, multiple times (where is banging head against wall smiley)
I will check the bell-housing to front bearing retainer. Would hope its the same as we got the trans overhauled and bell-housing from the same person. Thanks!
CabBurge, never wrecked and the vibration felt would be sitting still or driving above, say, 3000 rpm's. With the clutch pressed in or out.

I'll take pictures of everything as we take it out.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473192
07/24/13 03:08 PM
07/24/13 03:08 PM
Oklahoma
V
VoodooCLD Offline
mopar
VoodooCLD  Offline
mopar
V

Oklahoma
Quote:

Woke up to let the puppy out. I'll try to answer all questions quickly.

I do not know what the runout was on it either time. Sometimes they tell you to trim the input if you have a certain bearing in the crank, can't think off the top of my head. But that is what the transmission guys will say (mopar specific guys). It did not change anything, so they replaced that completely.
I don't remember what I meant when I said it looked sideways. I probably just didn't know what I was looking at, at the time haha. That was probably about the time I overhauled my first transmission on my car. If anything, I'd imagine we replaced the transmission mount. Pretty sure even twice. We were literally trying everything, multiple times (where is banging head against wall smiley)
I will check the bell-housing to front bearing retainer. Would hope its the same as we got the trans overhauled and bell-housing from the same person. Thanks!
CabBurge, never wrecked and the vibration felt would be sitting still or driving above, say, 3000 rpm's. With the clutch pressed in or out.

Normally you cut the end off the transmission input shaft when you have a cast crank that doesn't have the end drilled for a pilot bushing. I believe i've also heard that some steel cranks are drilled, but not finished. This may have been the case since you said you have a steel crank.

The way you say it vibrates while sitting still, with the clutch pushed in, and engaged, makes me think it's in the engine/flywheel/pressure plate.
And if you do in fact have a cast crank with neutral balance flywheel and balancer, then that could cause some problems.

YES, TAKE PICTURES!

Last edited by VoodooCLD; 07/24/13 03:09 PM.
Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473193
07/24/13 04:35 PM
07/24/13 04:35 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

I will check the bell-housing to front bearing retainer. Would hope its the same as we got the trans overhauled and bell-housing from the same person.

the vibration felt would be sitting still or driving above, say, 3000 rpm's. With the clutch pressed in or out.

the bearing retainer should be a snug/slip fit in the bell housing as it is what centers the trans to the crankshaft. The trans bolts are only there to hold it in place.

I'll agree if the vibration was felt sitting still with the clutch in or out and while the car was moving that indicates a severely mis-aligned bell housing, clutch, flywheel, crank, balancer, or other engine issue. keep us posted

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473194
07/24/13 05:04 PM
07/24/13 05:04 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

I'll agree if the vibration was felt sitting still with the clutch in or out and while the car was moving that indicates a severely mis-aligned bell housing, clutch, flywheel, crank, balancer, or other engine issue. keep us posted

If the vibration is felt with the clutch pedal pushed IN then the bellhousing is a non-factor.

The big clue is it is felt when the pedal is pushed in as well, my money is on the engine having the wrong flywheel, it was out of balance and the crank finally broke at or near the flange and the carnage followed.

Sorry man, but I suspect that you are looking at an engine rebuild with a fresh crank (all the bearings will be beat to hell from the imbalance) along with a bellhousing and crank. Best check the driveshaft wasn't bent too.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: gdonovan] #1473195
07/24/13 06:12 PM
07/24/13 06:12 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Quote:

If the vibration is felt with the clutch pedal pushed IN then the bellhousing is a non-factor.

The big clue is it is felt when the pedal is pushed in as well, my money is on the engine having the wrong flywheel, it was out of balance and the crank finally broke at or near the flange and the carnage followed.

Sorry man, but I suspect that you are looking at an engine rebuild with a fresh crank (all the bearings will be beat to hell from the imbalance) along with a bellhousing and crank. Best check the driveshaft wasn't bent too.

I'll disagree for the following reasons,
If the bell housing was far enough off center or out of plane with the back of the block it could create a binding on the input shaft that could lead to a vibration whether the clutch was in or out.
I would also like to say that at this time we don't know what the root cause was, nor do we know the extent of the damage. The motor may or may not be fine. Statements such as
Quote:

the crank finally broke at or near the flange and the carnage followed.

are pure speculation and will only make the OP feel worse than he already does

no offense meant to you just trying to help the guy find his problem

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: 68KillerBee] #1473196
07/24/13 06:24 PM
07/24/13 06:24 PM
Omaha Ne
T
TJP Offline
I Live Here
TJP  Offline
I Live Here
T

Omaha Ne
Quote:

Lot's of answers found in the old thread. You actually helped out also.
Here is the one I could find. Seems this issue has been going on longer than I remembered.

https://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=5264280

From one of your posts in the old thread
Quote:

with the clutch, pressure plate, d-shaft and trans out there was no vibration at any rpm.
put in new clutch, pressure plate, flywheel (refurbished from brewers), rebuilt transmission, new throw out bearing, and the vibration is still there

Re read that several times and think it through, the answer appears to be somewhere in the second sentence of the above quote

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: TJP] #1473197
07/24/13 08:39 PM
07/24/13 08:39 PM
Oakdale CT
gdonovan Offline
I Live Here
gdonovan  Offline
I Live Here

Oakdale CT
Quote:

I'll disagree for the following reasons,
If the bell housing was far enough off center or out of plane with the back of the block it could create a binding on the input shaft that could lead to a vibration whether the clutch was in or out.

If that was the case just installing the transmission would have been a major issue.

Quote:

The motor may or may not be fine. Statements such as
Quote:

the crank finally broke at or near the flange and the carnage followed.

are pure speculation and will only make the OP feel worse than he already does

Oh, I'd be the first one to say that I hope I'm wrong but have been on the end of vibration issues like the OP described and if you look at the one picture of the crank flange it looks like the back of the flywheel isn't in plane with the back of the block.

The OP can test by placing a small prybar on the flywheel and see if the end of the crank is still where it is suppose to be.

Picked up a car with a 440 that had the wrong damper on it, shook like a washer machine with cinderblocks in it.

Re: 4 Speed Breakage [Re: gdonovan] #1473198
07/24/13 11:42 PM
07/24/13 11:42 PM
U.S.S.A.
JohnRR Offline
I Win
JohnRR  Offline
I Win

U.S.S.A.
Quote:

... and if you look at the one picture of the crank flange it looks like the back of the flywheel isn't in plane with the back of the block.

I was noticing the same thing .

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4