06/20/13 08:05 AM
06/20/13 08:05 AM
MId West
wasacuda Offline OP
super stock
wasacuda  Offline OP
super stock

MId West
My 16 year old son just bought a 71 Scamp that has been in a coma for like 10 years, after installing a nice running 318 that I had in the shop he is finding out that this isn't such an easy hobby after all. The gas tank was shot there is tons of wiring gremlins etc. I was able to get most of the problems fixed. Here is the biggest problem the power steering sector is sticky and wants to turn to the left all on its own. I know you can slide the top part of the sector around to adjust it but I am thinking it was probably fine when the car was parked. After running the car for an hour or so its is much better I filled the sector and pump with Dextron and some Lucas additive. Does any one know of a way to flush out the system or what kind of magic juice can I put in there to free up the sticky valves. Thanks for any tips on this as I am trying to keep the cost down for my son. He is going to find out quick enough how much gas alone is going to cost. Here is a engine pic he did most of the work himself its not pretty but at 16 years old who cares he just wants to drive it. I wish I could have that attitude again its a real pain in the butt to make everything look mint. Thanks Dan

7748929-IMG_2502.JPG (25 downloads)
Re: Power Steering Sector Problems. Help! [Re: wasacuda] #1455593
06/20/13 08:33 AM
06/20/13 08:33 AM
Niles , Ohio
T
therocks Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
therocks  Offline
oh wait.but hey.lets see.oh yeah.
T

Niles , Ohio
We had flush kits at work.Flushed systems.It saved some that were stiff or noisy.Then we would use the machine to drain and refill.But if its turning by itself sounds like the top is off.Either that or a valve is stuck.Id try flushing it some more.You might be able to buy a kit from a shop that does flushes.Rocky

Chrysler Firepower