scrag Offline OP
mopar
scrag  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mount Airy, Maryland
I am working on getting my six pack dialed in to my new engine:
Car is 1970 Barracuda, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S60 4:10 gears
Motor is a 500 (on a RB) - Edelbrock Heads have been ported and matched to the intake, 10.5 Compression, CAM is a .252 Intake 256 Exhaust separation 109, lift Intake at .573 Exhaust .567.
MSD Distributor and 6A1 box and blaster coil....Exhaust is TTI 2" into 3.5" and 3" inch with x pipe....OK that being said the Carbs have PROMAX jet plates in the outboard and center carb metering block a 28 squitter(I think) jets 64CL 84OB and running the white springs on the vacuum secondary's Power valve is blocked off (to see what effect it has...manual brakes and steering. Timing is at 38 degrees and I am running 93 octane with booster....here is the problem - When you jump on it the car (usually) snaps your neck when the secondary's come on - that is the good....the idle prior to that is fine set at under a 1000 but after running it through the gears it stays at 1500.....no clue why.....nothing seems to stick - good free range of motion on the linkages......ideas? Thanks in advance....

Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449485
06/08/13 09:11 PM
06/08/13 09:11 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
There just was a very comprehensive thread on 6pak tuning a day or 2 ago. Scroll back & see if you can find it or see if you can get the search function to work for you

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449486
06/08/13 09:38 PM
06/08/13 09:38 PM
lancaster, new york
macmic87 Offline
super stock
macmic87  Offline
super stock

lancaster, new york
Quote:

OK that being said the Carbs have PROMAX jet plates in the outboard and center carb metering block a 28 squitter(I think) jets 64CL 84OB and running the white springs on the vacuum secondary's Power valve is blocked off (to see what effect it has...manual brakes and steering. Timing is at 38 degrees and I am running 93 octane with booster....here is the problem - When you jump on it the car (usually) snaps your neck when the secondary's come on - that is the good....the idle prior to that is fine set at under a 1000 but after running it through the gears it stays at 1500.....no clue why.....nothing seems to stick - good free range of motion on the linkages......ideas? Thanks in advance....

2 things i am thinking about with the idle is double check the rods going from the center carb to the outboards. the other is to check and see if the timing is not returning to your base setting. maybe springs are to weak and not letting weights return. couple of other thngs is the main jets in the center just sound a little small to me and the size or the squirter also sounds small.

Re: Six pack questions [Re: macmic87] #1449487
06/08/13 10:13 PM
06/08/13 10:13 PM
Riverside, Ca
G
G_bob Offline
master
G_bob  Offline
master
G

Riverside, Ca
Quote:

Quote:

OK that being said the Carbs have PROMAX jet plates in the outboard and center carb metering block a 28 squitter(I think) jets 64CL 84OB and running the white springs on the vacuum secondary's Power valve is blocked off (to see what effect it has...manual brakes and steering. Timing is at 38 degrees and I am running 93 octane with booster....here is the problem - When you jump on it the car (usually) snaps your neck when the secondary's come on - that is the good....the idle prior to that is fine set at under a 1000 but after running it through the gears it stays at 1500.....no clue why.....nothing seems to stick - good free range of motion on the linkages......ideas? Thanks in advance....

2 things i am thinking about with the idle is double check the rods going from the center carb to the outboards. the other is to check and see if the timing is not returning to your base setting. maybe springs are to weak and not letting weights return. couple of other thngs is the main jets in the center just sound a little small to me and the size or the squirter also sounds small.

Agree on the squirter. I have a 35 with 50cc pump on my 440 ci, 10.2:1, 484 cam motor. Also, it should be a smmmooottth transition into the secondaries, if it's slamming you back when they open, there's more tuning to be done...

Re: Six pack questions [Re: RapidRobert] #1449488
06/09/13 10:55 AM
06/09/13 10:55 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
You don't have near enough jet or squirrter. You have 60 cubic inches on me and I'm running 70 jets and 35 squirters. You'l also have to see what outboard spring work best. I'm using the purples. I have yet to go w/ the 50cc pump, but I hear that is a good idea as well.

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449489
06/09/13 02:06 PM
06/09/13 02:06 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Put the power valve back in it allow the center carb. to run leaner at part throttle cruise and the power valve will enrichen the mixture at wide open throttle Normally on most Holley you would increase the primary jet size 6 to 8 Holley jet numbers bigger when removing and blocking off the power valve, which makes the part throttle mixture very rich That works for a drag race only car that does not spend much time at part throttle like a street car does Not so on a street and strip car what list number is your center carb?

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Six pack questions [Re: Cab_Burge] #1449490
06/09/13 10:43 PM
06/09/13 10:43 PM
Mount Airy, Maryland
S
scrag Offline OP
mopar
scrag  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mount Airy, Maryland
I was mistaken about the squirter it was a 28. Now a 25 is in it but the 25 is definitely bigger regarding the hole where the fuel comes out - it is an old part did they change the numbers? My center carb number is 4791. Thanks for the help by the ways....

Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449491
06/10/13 12:03 AM
06/10/13 12:03 AM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

I was mistaken about the squirter it was a 28. Now a 25 is in it but the 25 is definitely bigger regarding the hole where the fuel comes out - it is an old part did they change the numbers? My center carb number is 4791. Thanks for the help by the ways....

Of course, you know that the jet size and squirter size has nothing to do with the problem you are describing.

25 is smaller than 28, as they represent the squirter hole size in thousanths, unless someone drill them out.

Vacuum leak, not uncommon with the 6 pac, can cause a wondering idle speed. Or dist. mechanical advance springs that are too week to pull the weights in at idle.

I've run 6 pacs on several motors from 300 hp 383 to 600 hp 500" motors and never needed to go over 66 on the center jet except in one unique case. Three of them were dyno tuned 500" motors. Bottom line, don't take your jetting advice from me or anyone else, you need to get the right tools and figure out what you motor wants.

Re: Six pack questions [Re: BSB67] #1449492
06/12/13 11:15 AM
06/12/13 11:15 AM
Mount Airy, Maryland
S
scrag Offline OP
mopar
scrag  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mount Airy, Maryland
Understand about the vacuum leak and did check for that - advice on the distributor was also spot on as I did go to a stronger set of springs....perhaps I need to move to the next size. The last time I drove the car - first blast seemed like only the center carb worked. the next 2 everything worked - still the kick in the pants when the OB's quicked in (son called it Afterburner) - but afterwards the idle was at 500RPM faster and would not go back down - I am really thinking the distributor is sticking - it is brand new. So here is the plan....going to a larger squirter - going to check the pump and see if it is a 50cc or not, go to the next size distributor springs. I have 2 new base plates on order from Holley for the outboard (4 weeks to get em is why).

Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449493
06/12/13 01:04 PM
06/12/13 01:04 PM
Bend,OR USA
C
Cab_Burge Offline
I Win
Cab_Burge  Offline
I Win
C

Bend,OR USA
Quote:

going to a larger squirter - going to check the pump and see if it is a 50cc or not, go to the next size distributor springs. I have 2 new base plates on order from Holley for the outboard (4 weeks to get em is why).

The size of the accerator pump housing, 30 CC versus 50 CC will not change how much fuel is shot into the motor on one hit Those pump housing are rated at 10 hits,pump strokes, not one I would keep changing the springs in the vacume pods until you get what you want on the carb. opening on the secondary carbs opening I ran a bolt in the slot on the center carb that the secondary throttle rods ride in to force the outboard carbs. close, I used that bolt to help open the outboards quicker and sooner that helped the 60 Ft. times at the track, it would still bog a little when driving in third gear and whomp the throttle at or above 2500 RPM I've had several six pak cars that would not bog when opening the secondarys, they would open slower and not give you the big kick in the pants when they opened like the last set did Mayby Ari will chime in on the mechanical carbs I sold him, I never ran those carbs. on the street, Ari The mechanical carbs. have accelerator pumps in all three carbs. One other thing to keep in mind when tuning a six pak set up on a large motor with regualr tires, you can still break them loose at 45+ MPH when fooling around Be careful

Mr.Cab Racing and winning with Mopars since 1964. (Old F--t, Huh)
Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449494
06/12/13 10:08 PM
06/12/13 10:08 PM
usa
L
lewtot184 Offline
master
lewtot184  Offline
master
L

usa
Quote:

I am working on getting my six pack dialed in to my new engine:
Car is 1970 Barracuda, Tremec 5 speed, Strange S60 4:10 gears
Motor is a 500 (on a RB) - Edelbrock Heads have been ported and matched to the intake, 10.5 Compression, CAM is a .252 Intake 256 Exhaust separation 109, lift Intake at .573 Exhaust .567.
MSD Distributor and 6A1 box and blaster coil....Exhaust is TTI 2" into 3.5" and 3" inch with x pipe....OK that being said the Carbs have PROMAX jet plates in the outboard and center carb metering block a 28 squitter(I think) jets 64CL 84OB and running the white springs on the vacuum secondary's Power valve is blocked off (to see what effect it has...manual brakes and steering. Timing is at 38 degrees and I am running 93 octane with booster....here is the problem - When you jump on it the car (usually) snaps your neck when the secondary's come on - that is the good....the idle prior to that is fine set at under a 1000 but after running it through the gears it stays at 1500.....no clue why.....nothing seems to stick - good free range of motion on the linkages......ideas? Thanks in advance....

centrifugal weights in the distributor may be sticking. linkage between the carbs needs to be loose, no tension on the end carbs. 64 jets with no power valve is a no-no. 65-66 jets with the power valve. i think 84's may be too big for the back; only track or dyno testing will tell what you need.

Re: Six pack questions [Re: lewtot184] #1449495
06/17/13 06:25 PM
06/17/13 06:25 PM
Mount Airy, Maryland
S
scrag Offline OP
mopar
scrag  Offline OP
mopar
S

Mount Airy, Maryland
First off thanks for all the assistance. I found one issue - rear carb is binding/sticking when it gets up to engine temp. So I received new base plates from Holley and I am swapping them out. I am also going to use the PROMAX plate for the rear - just have to transfer all the parts. Understood about the pump - interesting read on how it works - love to learn something new. I will also look into modifying the center carb OB Linkage connection with a similar arrangement - after I am sure the binding is fixed and if it needs it. Again thanks for the great information.

Re: Six pack questions [Re: scrag] #1449496
06/17/13 06:42 PM
06/17/13 06:42 PM
Prospect, PA
BSB67 Offline
master
BSB67  Offline
master

Prospect, PA
Quote:

First off thanks for all the assistance. I found one issue - rear carb is binding/sticking when it gets up to engine temp. So I received new base plates from Holley and I am swapping them out. I am also going to use the PROMAX plate for the rear - just have to transfer all the parts. Understood about the pump - interesting read on how it works - love to learn something new. I will also look into modifying the center carb OB Linkage connection with a similar arrangement - after I am sure the binding is fixed and if it needs it. Again thanks for the great information.

Don't over tighten the outboard carbs as that will cause them to bind. I sneek up on the final torque by checking their freedom of movement by pulling a slight vacuum and releasing on the diaphram as I tighten them up. Also, the center carb will pull the outboards to the full closed position (even if they are sticking) when the linkage is adgusted properly.