11/02/08 07:41 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Quote:

Scott, do you think the texture of the JD panels are closer to the original textuer than the Palco repops?

Tough call because niether one is really "correct", I'd say JD's looks more like original because it's a truer pebble style grain.

Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: ScottSmith_Harms] #143531
11/03/08 07:44 PM
11/03/08 07:44 PM
Detroit,Michigan USA!
E
erick72 Offline
mopar
erick72  Offline
mopar
E

Detroit,Michigan USA!
if they have good grain i could redye them for you for 100 dollars for materials shiiping and back.i am very good at it.it would definately cheaper than just dashes.depends.what color?

erickjohnson1@yahoo.com

Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: erick72] #143532
11/03/08 07:54 PM
11/03/08 07:54 PM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
Thanks for the offer, but I can dye the panels & other interior plastic. my 70 Cuda panels are so deteriorated from sun exposure, the have holes in them as well as being super faded. Just Dashes will have to rebuild them if I decide to go that route.

Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: Triggerfish] #143533
11/03/08 10:52 PM
11/03/08 10:52 PM
Colorado
D
denfireguy Offline OP
top fuel
denfireguy  Offline OP
top fuel
D

Colorado
Quote:

Scott, do you think the texture of the JD panels are closer to the original textuer than the Palco repops? I've got the Palco's on my Hemi Chally, & they look great, but a little work to get the best fit. Thanks, Buzz

Are there any tricks to getting them to fit? Or is it just lots of time and patience to get them on?
Craig

2014 Ram 1500 Laramie, 73 Cuda
Previous mopars: 62 Valiant, 65 Fury III, 68 Fury III, 72 Satellite, 74 Satellite, 89 Acclaim, 98 Caravan, 2003 Durango
Only previous Non-Mopar: Schwinn Tornado
Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: denfireguy] #143534
11/05/08 10:20 AM
11/05/08 10:20 AM
Blairsden, CA
T
Triggerfish Offline
top fuel
Triggerfish  Offline
top fuel
T

Blairsden, CA
A friend installed them for me, but said he had to trim them a little. One of the owners of Palco is in our local Mopar club, so I'll ask him and my friend who installed them, about the best way to make them fit.

Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: autoxcuda] #143535
11/05/08 05:18 PM
11/05/08 05:18 PM
Fairview Tennessee
S
SV_MOPARS Offline
pro stock
SV_MOPARS  Offline
pro stock
S

Fairview Tennessee
Quote:

Quote:

no

Is there better solution than JD in regards to fit? I think the JD stuff isn't a perfect fit either though because the covering goes around the edge lip and makes it thicker.

i agree!!

Re: E Body interior door panels [Re: SV_MOPARS] #143536
11/05/08 06:20 PM
11/05/08 06:20 PM
Spokane Washington
ScottSmith_Harms Offline
Mr Wizzard
ScottSmith_Harms  Offline
Mr Wizzard

Spokane Washington
Palco and Accuform (two companies, same process), use a process called Thermoforming or Vaccuum Forming.

They start with a sheet of pre-grained ABS plastic and heat it up, then it's dropped down over a mold shaped like a door panel. Vaccuum sucks the softened sheet down over the mold and you end up with a sheet shaped like a door panel with a flange of excess material all around the base of the mold. The excess flange is then trimmed away (usually by hand) and then any factory designed under cut areas required to attach the panel to the car (which are not possible to add during the thermoforming process) are glued or rivoted to the main panel.

Originals were made from injection molded thermoplastic polypropylene (hot molton plastic) which is squirted under tons of pressure into an enclosed steel mold to form the door panels entire shape, inside and out including the distinctive grain.

As noted originals were injection molded in Polypropylene, not ABS, these two materials have hugely different properties, Polypropylene is VERY resistant to most solvent based chemicals (which is why it's hard to paint) while ABS is EASILY attacked by most solvent based chemicals, so, with a reproduction if you get gas, thinner, or some other solvent on your fingers, touch the panel = Gooey fingers and a messed up panel, not so with originals. ABS is also a stiffer material and will not deaden road noise anything like original Polypropylene panels will (PP is a softer pliable material that absorbs more sound).

JD panels use originals which gives you the factory mounting points, sound deadening properties, and chemical resistant properties. They also use a thermoforming technique to restore panels but rather than forming a rigid sheet of ABS plastc over a mold they wrap the original panels with a flexible pre-grained vinyl skin (vinyl/PVC resists solvent based chemicals much better than ABS) and rather than a mold, your door panel is the mold, the panel is cleaned, sanded, glue is layed down, and the skin goes one. The negatives to this process are that the door panels do become slightly larger because of the new thin vinyl skin which can lead to some tight fits where panels meet, (most cases I've seen have been minor though), the vinyl grain is slightly different than original injection molded panels, and due to the fact that you will need to get ALL of your interior panels recovered so that the grains and colors will all match, the cost can be pretty high (however, thislast comment applies to Palco and Accuform as well).

Bottom line? It's a personal choice, nothing will beat nice originals, period. IMO JD is the second best way to go, after that it's a brand decision on Thermoformed reproductions.

Page 2 of 2 1 2