05/06/13 09:15 AM
05/06/13 09:15 AM
Franklin CT
syleng1 Offline OP
super stock
syleng1  Offline OP
super stock

Franklin CT
1966 Barracuda with /6 and 9" drums up front no pwr and 10" drums out back. Maybe 9" but i'm sure its a 7.250 rear.

OK car is back on the road after 25 years of sitting. Runs and drives great but is needing an adjustment to the fronts as it pulls to the right on hard braking. The front is all new bushings, alignment, hoses, brakes ect. The rear is all new same story.

I want to go V-8 some day but enjoying the /6 for this summer and love and appreciate the sbp cragars I have now. Does anyone sell a sbp complete kit for the sbp front with a modern dual master with disks? If I chose to go V-8 down the road then what ever rear axle choice I go with can be built with disks. My current Cragars are 14". If I go the BPP route (the route I know)then I will go to the 15 Cragars. Right now I am looking for a all purpose disk brake that is upgradeable for future use. I just need something modern that is safe for panic stops. Realistically I don't need anything more than the factory disk set up but a rebuilt set here on ebay is the same if not more in cost than an aftermarket kit. I'm not sure if the factory disks are the same spindle as the factory drums.

Any help is awesome.
Joe

Last edited by syleng1; 05/06/13 09:19 AM.
Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: syleng1] #1431131
05/06/13 12:03 PM
05/06/13 12:03 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
Quote:

it pulls to the right on hard braking.

That means the left side ain't doing it's job so I'd open up the LF & go from there. I'd get that squared away then you'll be in a better frame of mind to decide if/what brake upgrade you need. I run them & they are somewhat inadequate & I barely get by puttin' around town at slow speeds. If your brake shop arcs linings take the drums with the linings in & here it's $5 a corner & doesn't take long & it makes a world of difference on how much contact area there is between the shoes & the drums. Best $20 I ever spent. You'd think they'd be concentric as is but that ain't the case. If you check the wear pattern there's alot of swept area that ain't being used. they match each pair of shoes to their respective drum so keep em together when you get em back if you go that route. Not sure on what'd be a good SBP disc upgrade but not sure I'd want to go with the 65-72 OE discs but maybe with ceramic pads & a bed in procedure. Holler how it turns out

live every 24 hour block of time like it's your last day on earth
Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: syleng1] #1431132
05/06/13 05:14 PM
05/06/13 05:14 PM
Texas
vynn3 Offline
mopar
vynn3  Offline
mopar

Texas
Stock 67'-72 Kelsey Hayes disc brakes work great on my A-bodies, and keep the 4" bolt pattern. Used set-ups show up on forabodiesonly.com all the time, and they're cost-effective. Grab a set of EBC red pads, and drive it!

Other options, the SSBC kit uses a lot of the same parts as the KH brakes:

http://ssbrakes.com/i-10092992-disc-brak...er-booster.html

... and there's Scarebird, which uses GM parts:

http://scarebird.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64&product_id=139

Good luck!

vm

Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: RapidRobert] #1431133
05/08/13 10:08 AM
05/08/13 10:08 AM
Franklin CT
syleng1 Offline OP
super stock
syleng1  Offline OP
super stock

Franklin CT
Quote:

Quote:

it pulls to the right on hard braking.

That means the left side ain't doing it's job so I'd open up the LF & go from there. I'd get that squared away then you'll be in a better frame of mind to decide if/what brake upgrade you need. I run them & they are somewhat inadequate & I barely get by puttin' around town at slow speeds. If your brake shop arcs linings take the drums with the linings in & here it's $5 a corner & doesn't take long & it makes a world of difference on how much contact area there is between the shoes & the drums. Best $20 I ever spent. You'd think they'd be concentric as is but that ain't the case. If you check the wear pattern there's alot of swept area that ain't being used. they match each pair of shoes to their respective drum so keep em together when you get em back if you go that route. Not sure on what'd be a good SBP disc upgrade but not sure I'd want to go with the 65-72 OE discs but maybe with ceramic pads & a bed in procedure. Holler how it turns out

I sent the car to be properly aligned and they broke the cam bolts. So I removed the uppers and new bushings and cams later... but while apart I adjusted the rt wheel bearing and now it pulls rt. They are all new so the loose bearing was it wearing in. This is typical stuff. I figured it needs adjustment and "arcing" the shoes does work; sadly nobody I know does them any more. When I worked for the dealer we were just ending riveting new liners on the shoes. I'll pull both apart this weekend and see what is going on. They even might be too tight and are over heating and failing.

Thanks for the advice,
Joe

Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: vynn3] #1431134
05/08/13 10:12 AM
05/08/13 10:12 AM
Franklin CT
syleng1 Offline OP
super stock
syleng1  Offline OP
super stock

Franklin CT
Quote:

Stock 67'-72 Kelsey Hayes disc brakes work great on my A-bodies, and keep the 4" bolt pattern. Used set-ups show up on forabodiesonly.com all the time, and they're cost-effective. Grab a set of EBC red pads, and drive it!

vm

I'd like that route too! These cars are so small in weight that a 300hp V-8 would be a rocket and less weight and less motor means less braking needed. I'll look around on abodiesonly and see. My loyalties are here first and I did not find anything but the brackets by the guy in Cheshire, CT. I've done business with him before... Good Mo par guy to buy from.

Thanks,
Joe

Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: syleng1] #1431135
05/08/13 06:04 PM
05/08/13 06:04 PM
Texas
vynn3 Offline
mopar
vynn3  Offline
mopar

Texas
Believe it or not, I've seen MORE Kelsey Hayes brake set-ups and parts the last few years, compared with a decade ago. Disks and calipers used to be really hard to find, but not so much these days.

With a little patience, I'm confident you could find a reasonably-priced KH set-up here or on Ebay or FABO fairly quickly. Good luck!

vm

Re: Small bolt brake question [Re: vynn3] #1431136
05/11/13 02:27 PM
05/11/13 02:27 PM
Franklin CT
syleng1 Offline OP
super stock
syleng1  Offline OP
super stock

Franklin CT
Thanks for the confidence! I want to warn every one to not over look the basics. I jacked up the cuda and went to adjust the front drums and found wheel cylinder leaks at both front wheels. When I pulled it apart, both cylinders were leaking bad and the shoes were worn out. I found a lot of debris in the cylinders when I took them apart and realized the brake lines were not properly flushed out before the new master went on. So I called Napa for a set of 9" shoes and wheel cylinders. I cleaned the drums well and sanded the braking surfaces. I installed the new shoes and all back together. I have them light for now but it goes to show that the slightest debris even with all new parts will mess up the cylinders.

I believe the wheel cylinders were not allowing the shoes to contract and they were dragging. All that heat or the debris tore the inside seals and call it a day. Remember, CLEAN, CLEAN and then clean again.

Brakes feel really good.

Thanks for all the help,
Joe