PA
M
maxwedge1 Offline OP
mopar
maxwedge1  Offline OP
mopar
M

PA
02 neon acr..broken belt... dealer partsman says tensioner may be mechanical or hydraulic ?? major price difference.
i would like to order before the teardown. is there a date or vin# to determine wich tensioner is in there?

Re: 02 neon wich timing belt tensioner [Re: maxwedge1] #1403137
03/16/13 11:06 AM
03/16/13 11:06 AM
Benton, IL.
D
DaveRS23 Offline
Special needs idiot
DaveRS23  Offline
Special needs idiot
D

Benton, IL.
IMHO, the mech tensioners are a real pain. The hyd are the earlier style and I have never seen a bad one. Over the years we have probably changed a couple of hundred belts. I think the hyd is more bullet proof.

On the hyd one, all you do is push it up snug, tighten the bolts and pull the pin. Done. On the mech, you use an allen wrench to get a little indicator between 2 notches. I never get a good comfortable feel for the mech ones.

Actually, I am pretty sure that the block is the same and so they will interchange. If you don't have one of the hyd, I would just pull one at a local pick-a-part yard from an Neon engine that is already partly torn down. Again, I think that the hyd one is pretty bullet-proof.

As soon as you get a belt on, run a comp test. If the belt broke, it will likely have bent intake valves.

Master, again and still
Re: 02 neon wich timing belt tensioner [Re: DaveRS23] #1403138
03/16/13 07:41 PM
03/16/13 07:41 PM
USA
S
SSAAHemiFan Offline
top fuel
SSAAHemiFan  Offline
top fuel
S

USA
just went thru this on a 02 NON ACR - there was a midyear change so there really no way to know if you have a hyd or mechanical tensioner until you get it apart

I used the Gates mechanical tensioner kit from rockauto - It works regardless if you car has a hyd or mechanical tensioner currently - The only POSSIBLE modification is you MAY have to trim a small hole in the inner cover for the new mechanical tensioner - If trimming is needed it is very simple and it will be obvious where to cut ( the new mechanical tensioner must sit tight against the block - not the plastic cover) OR you can just buy the new style inner cover from your dealer

My 02 was already cut out from the factory so it was a bolt in exchange

The mechanical tensioner provides longer belt life - that is why the change was made.

Replace the waterpump at the same time and be sure to use a Mopar or Gates belt !