03/08/13 01:09 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
4-spd with Nitrous - Best Way to Run?

I've got a 70 Road Runner 4-speed car (a quick street car). I used to run a 4bbl. with a 125hp single stage nitrous system a long time ago and I remember only using the nitrous in 3rd & 4th gear or I'd smoke the tires bad. Now I've got a 250hp setup, so it should only get worse. I want to spray the motor as much as possible and I've got a few questions. I plan on putting in hardened axles and 10" slicks (maybe a Strange Dana).

440 4-speed
Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
Single stage NOS Cheater system (no window switch), WOT switch & trigger on shifter
MSD Multi-Stage retard box (not hooked up yet)
MSD 2-stage rev limiter
3.91 gears

My idea is to wire up a button connected to a line lock & the 1st level of the rev limiter (set at 3000-3200 rpm or so). The 2nd level of the rev limiter set at 6500 rpm or so.

Once I stage I will push a line lock/1st stage rev limiter button and put the gas pedal to the floor (3000-3200 rpm rev limited). At the third yellow light I let my finger off that button & let the clutch out (rev limiter now goes to 2nd level of 6500 rpm). Once the car hooks up I hit the nitrous button which is also connected to the MSD timing retard to pull maybe 5-7 degrees of timing out (retard) when the nitrous is activated. I "might" add a rpm window switch wired through the retard box to pull out another 2 degrees of timing over 5500 rpm or so.

1. Does this sound right or am I missing something?
2. Can I hold the nitrous on while I shift gears?
3. Will the clutch survive shifting gears with the nitrous on?
4. If I can get traction, could I leave on the nitrous? If so, should I spray while stagged?

I'd like to get this car into the 11's. Any ideas or comments are appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1398928
03/08/13 04:52 AM
03/08/13 04:52 AM
A Red State
SNK-EYZ Offline
I Live Here
SNK-EYZ  Offline
I Live Here

A Red State
Another thought would be to put an rpm window switch on the nitrous.

That's what I did on my 97 Viper GTS that was spraying nitrous and propane.
It came on at 3,000 rpm and turned off at 5,800 rpm.

Kayse can't keep up at all now. lol
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1398929
03/08/13 10:09 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
I think that is something you are going to have to play with. In theory if the car "hooks" you should be able to hit it from the green light. I'm putting a NOS system on my 6-pack. I'm going to start w/ a 100 shot and move p to 150 or so. The 1st few runs I'm going to hit the button when I go to 2nd (auto car) Then once I feel safe, I'll try it from the line.
There are a few Mustang guys that run big system out of the hole and bang the gears all the way down the track. I'm guessing they have staged systems, 100 in 1st/2nd then another 200 for 3-4...

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: SNK-EYZ] #1398930
acworth / N. georgia - south e...
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

ive been helping a lad at my track run a 4spd valiant with nitrous. honestly the rpm limiters and timing retard are all fine however you want to employe them...
but for the no2 ..full throttle activation is the only way i would suggest to do it. (with an on off switch of course) we installed and are messing with contact switches at each gear lever.. this means.
only when trans lever engauges into a gear will it make contact with a switch completing the nitrous circuit. if you miss a shift the no2 doesnt activate even if you apply full throttle.
the full throttle switch I think you will find is going to be the best way to modulate power if you have a loss of traction...
its done as normal with the gas pedal/right foot. Only youll have to get comfortable knowing where full throttle on and off is..its pretty easy.
We/I have never hit the limiter while the no2 was on...I cant image that would not be disasterous. so..i have avoided that situation at all cost...(i could be wrong?, thats a good question for Monte)

ditto for lauch on no2 full throttle..you wont need full throttle to achieve high rpm stages/launch.. and if you apply 70% throttle input im sure it will hit your launch limiter..
then when you leave you apply 100% throttle with no2 activation...
you can modulate the timing of that with practice and testing...
the Valiant shifts flat footed/WOT. he doesnt lift between shifts..but as soon as any detent lever comes out of gear the no2 circuit is interrupted..when it goes into the next gear it reactivates.. if a gear isnt engaged no go boom.

i would keep the procedure as simple as possible.

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1398931
03/08/13 10:29 AM
03/08/13 10:29 AM
cheapstreetdustr Offline
master
cheapstreetdustr  Offline
master

Quote:

I've got a 70 Road Runner 4-speed car (a quick street car). I used to run a 4bbl. with a 125hp single stage nitrous system a long time ago and I remember only using the nitrous in 3rd & 4th gear or I'd smoke the tires bad. Now I've got a 250hp setup, so it should only get worse. I want to spray the motor as much as possible and I've got a few questions. I plan on putting in hardened axles and 10" slicks (maybe a Strange Dana).add a drive shaft loop and a trans blanket

440 4-speed
Single stage NOS Cheater system (no window switch), WOT switch & trigger on shifter i dont think trigger on shifter is necessary. just an on off switch on dash and the WOT carb switch
just run basic retard during no2 activation based on hp shot...you can mess with down track retard after your sure the basic set up works right first.
MSD 2-stage rev limiter
3.91 gears

My idea is to wire up a button connected to a line lock & the 1st level of the rev limiter (set at 3000-3200 rpm or so). as long as you can do 3k rpm burnouts ? ? unless you dont use the line lock in the burnout box?
i suggest activation while clutch is depressed might be better for launch rpm ? The 2nd level of the rev limiter set at 6500 rpm or so.

Once I stage I will push a line lock/1st stage rev limiter button and put the gas pedal to the floor you wont need WOT to reach 3k rpm part throttle will get you there fwiw (3000-3200 rpm rev limited). At the third yellow light I let my finger off that button & let the clutch out (rev limiter now goes to 2nd level of 6500 rpm). Once the car hooks up I hit the nitrous button which is also connected to the MSD timing retard to pull maybe 5-7 degrees of timing out (retard) when the nitrous is activated. I "might" add a rpm window switch wired through the retard box to pull out another 2 degrees of timing over 5500 rpm or so.

1. Does this sound right or am I missing something?im just giving u suggestions
2. Can I hold the nitrous on while I shift gears?no need to just wot switch and on switch. keep it simple.
3. Will the clutch survive shifting gears with the nitrous on? it will the way ive discribed activation
4. If I can get traction, could I leave on the nitrous?yes. My car hooks better the harder i hit it.. If so, should I spray while stagged?no need to

I'd like to get this car into the 11's. Any ideas or comments are appreciated. Thanks Everyone!

with a 240 hit and traction id say high tens..

365" Iron J heads,,3480lbs best 1.39 60ft on SS springs.10.54,124 mph ...6.67 1/8th et.average 60fts 1.46 w/ small cam &.063 no2 pill tagged & insured
[image][/image]
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1398932
03/08/13 10:47 AM
03/08/13 10:47 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Depending on what it runs now... a 250 shot will get you way into the 10's I'd think. I'm looking for low 10's w/ a 150 shot, 10.50 w/ a 100 shot.

Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1398933
03/08/13 10:52 AM
03/08/13 10:52 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

We/I have never hit the limiter while the no2 was on...I cant image that would not be disasterous. so..i have avoided that situation at all cost...(i could be wrong?, thats a good question for Monte)

I have asked Monte that exact question and he says it won't hurt anything...

IMHO, I'd run a window switch that turns the nitrous off a couple hundred RPM's lower than the engine rev limiter...

To the OP, I'd recommend starting out with less than 250...that's a pretty big hit for someone new...

If you can't handle the truth, you're living a lie.......
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1398934
03/08/13 01:39 PM
03/08/13 01:39 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
I have hit rev limit with nos flowing and the motor still here. I would try to do it often but once won't make junk.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1398935
03/08/13 10:44 PM
03/08/13 10:44 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
I run a 2 stage with a window switch. The 1st stage is whatever the tires can hold at the hit so I always carry a bottle of pill's. Don't spray between the shifts.

Last edited by hemidup; 03/08/13 10:45 PM.

Jerry Williams.
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: hemidup] #1398936
03/08/13 10:50 PM
03/08/13 10:50 PM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

I run a 2 stage with a window switch. The 1st stage is whatever the tires can hold at the hit so I always carry a bottle of pill's. Don't spray between the shifts.

Why not? I've power shifted with it....but I do have big balls...LOL

Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: Big Squeeze] #1398937
03/08/13 11:38 PM
03/08/13 11:38 PM
MN
hemidup Offline
super stock
hemidup  Offline
super stock

MN
Quote:

Quote:

Yes, your ball's must be bigger than mine. lol Sorry, but my latest experiance with n2o has been with a dry flow composite intake manifold and EFI. If and when the n2o puddles in the intake, the intake manifold goes BOOM!

Jerry Williams.
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: hemidup] #1398938
03/09/13 09:48 AM
03/09/13 09:48 AM
Oologah, Oklahoma
Big Squeeze Offline
pro stock
Big Squeeze  Offline
pro stock

Oologah, Oklahoma
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Yes, your ball's must be bigger than mine. lol Sorry, but my latest experiance with n2o has been with a dry flow composite intake manifold and EFI. If and when the n2o puddles in the intake, the intake manifold goes BOOM!

Nothing is going to puddle in the intake at WOT... when you hit the chip it just dumps it out the exhaust...I guess it's possible to blow the muffler off but I've never hit the chip long enough to have it happen to me...

Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: hemidup] #1398939
03/09/13 11:42 AM
03/09/13 11:42 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I'd guessif you have a rpm limiter you should have that issue, considering If you miss a shift you are probably going to lift and that will shut off the NO2 right?

Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: cheapstreetdustr] #1398940
03/12/13 03:42 AM
03/12/13 03:42 AM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Quote:

Quote:

I've got a 70 Road Runner 4-speed car (a quick street car). I used to run a 4bbl. with a 125hp single stage nitrous system a long time ago and I remember only using the nitrous in 3rd & 4th gear or I'd smoke the tires bad. Now I've got a 250hp setup, so it should only get worse. I want to spray the motor as much as possible and I've got a few questions. I plan on putting in hardened axles and 10" slicks (maybe a Strange Dana).add a drive shaft loop and a trans blanket

440 4-speed
Single stage NOS Cheater system (no window switch), WOT switch & trigger on shifter i dont think trigger on shifter is necessary. just an on off switch on dash and the WOT carb switch
just run basic retard during no2 activation based on hp shot...you can mess with down track retard after your sure the basic set up works right first.
MSD 2-stage rev limiter
3.91 gears

My idea is to wire up a button connected to a line lock & the 1st level of the rev limiter (set at 3000-3200 rpm or so). as long as you can do 3k rpm burnouts ? ? unless you dont use the line lock in the burnout box?
i suggest activation while clutch is depressed might be better for launch rpm ? The 2nd level of the rev limiter set at 6500 rpm or so.

Once I stage I will push a line lock/1st stage rev limiter button and put the gas pedal to the floor you wont need WOT to reach 3k rpm part throttle will get you there fwiw (3000-3200 rpm rev limited). At the third yellow light I let my finger off that button & let the clutch out (rev limiter now goes to 2nd level of 6500 rpm). Once the car hooks up I hit the nitrous button which is also connected to the MSD timing retard to pull maybe 5-7 degrees of timing out (retard) when the nitrous is activated. I "might" add a rpm window switch wired through the retard box to pull out another 2 degrees of timing over 5500 rpm or so.

1. Does this sound right or am I missing something?im just giving u suggestions
2. Can I hold the nitrous on while I shift gears?no need to just wot switch and on switch. keep it simple.
3. Will the clutch survive shifting gears with the nitrous on? it will the way ive discribed activation
4. If I can get traction, could I leave on the nitrous?yes. My car hooks better the harder i hit it.. If so, should I spray while stagged?no need to

with a 240 hit and traction id say high tens..

I've got a driveshaft safety loop and a Lakewood bellhousing, so that's good. My thought on the line lock is more of a "roll control" where I can have one foot on the clutch and the other on the gas (no foot on brake) and not roll over the line. I don't have a "heel-toe" bracket on the gas pedal. I like the extra trigger switch in case I get sideways so I can just let my finger off the button + it looks cool. Please explain the clutch trigger thing... that word "depressed" always confuses me.

I've run nitrous since 1985, but only 125-150 shots and I'm trying to keep this motor in one piece by playing it safe. The rev limiter, multi-stage retard, twin-outlet fuel sump with two 3/8" fuel lines & two electric pumps (one for the nitrous itself) and a WOT switch on the front carburetor are all new safety additions. I really have no experience with all these electronics. It used to be arm switch, trigger switch and that's it.

70 Roadrunner convt. street car 440+6, NOS, 4-spd, SS springs '96 Mustang GT convt. street car '04 4.6 SOHC, NOS, auto, lowered "Officer, that button is for short on-ramps"
Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: PurpleBeeper] #1398941
03/12/13 09:26 AM
03/12/13 09:26 AM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Mr.Yuck  Offline

Brookeville, Md
I think the main switch you want is the one for your right foot. It mounts up by the carb and opens the circut when you are WOT, and shuts it off as soon as you lift. That way if you are out of shape you lift it turns off. I wouldn't not rely on one under your thumb or on the shifter. Once you lift and the run is "scrubbed" you can turn the system off.

Re: 4-spd with Nitrous Oxide - Best Way to Run? [Re: Mr.Yuck] #1398942
03/13/13 10:00 PM
03/13/13 10:00 PM
Chicago
PurpleBeeper Offline OP
super stock
PurpleBeeper  Offline OP
super stock

Chicago
Quote:

I think the main switch you want is the one for your right foot. It mounts up by the carb and opens the circut when you are WOT, and shuts it off as soon as you lift. That way if you are out of shape you lift it turns off. I wouldn't not rely on one under your thumb or on the shifter. Once you lift and the run is "scrubbed" you can turn the system off.

I have have an arming switch, a trigger switch on the shifter and a WOT switch on the front carb and all of them must be pressed for the nitrous to activate. I may also add a window switch in series with these other switches from the comments I've gotten.

On another board (FBBO) someone mentioned they are putting "WOT" type switches on the transmission shift levers so it won't activate if you miss a gear. That sounds interesting. Maybe I'm being over-cautious... but motors arent' cheap.

Anyone else actually running a big nitrous shot and a manual transmission that's carbureted? Seems like all the track guys run automatics lately.