03/02/13 05:02 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
Guys,

I am almost ready to put the window regulators and new glass back into my doors and I was wondering the proper order (or any tips) on how to reassemble this with minimal effort. Most of all I am scared to scratch up the new glass....

I have all the "guts" of both doors out and cleaned up. I have the glasses from AMD as well. The only parts inside the door now are the latch assembly/rods/lock/handles. I am guessing maybe reinstall the rest in this order?

1. Put in the regulator piece by piece and then assemble inside the door through the holes and loosely bolt into place.

2. Install the clips and moldings/felt fuzzies on the top of the door

3. Slide the glass in and fasten to the reg with the four screws

Am I getting this right? I had to remove the glass first to get the reg out which also had to come apart so I could rotate the crank mechanism to get it out. I am thinking I will have to install the molding and new felts first as the glass will black them once installed.

Car is a 1973 Charger.

Please let me know if I am going in the right direction here or if I forgot anything. Any tips or experiences are appreciated!

Re: Proper Order to Reassemble Door/Window Reg [Re: cjskotni] #1396085
03/05/13 12:08 PM
03/05/13 12:08 PM
Utah
E
Eagleone1983 Offline
Eagleone1983  Offline
E

Utah
I can only speak from a '69 b-body perspective but you'll probably want to lower the glass in with out the regulator bolted up because to get the regulator roller on the track that is attached to the window you'll need to have the regulator disconnected to do it.

You also might have to install the fuzzies last because you'll need that room when shoving in that window. The fuzzies are a b$#^& to install with the window in but it is doable, I only scratched my paint once

Re: Proper Order to Reassemble Door/Window Reg [Re: Eagleone1983] #1396086
03/05/13 01:11 PM
03/05/13 01:11 PM
near Port Huron, MI
Paul Offline
master
Paul  Offline
master

near Port Huron, MI
Keep in mind some union guy on the line had that window installed in a matter of minutes.

Last one I did only took me about a day and a box of Band Aids to get it back in place.

I swear there's some sort of voo-doo dance required to acquire that skill.

Re: Proper Order to Reassemble Door/Window Reg [Re: Paul] #1396087
03/05/13 10:27 PM
03/05/13 10:27 PM
Chino Valley
RodStRace Offline
I Live Here
RodStRace  Offline
I Live Here

Chino Valley
I Haven't Done IT!!!!

IF the window slides into the regulator, this is what I'd try...
Put on the outer fuzzy first.
Then stuff the window in, making sure the lower stop is out, allowing the window to drop below the edge.
Then install the inner fuzzy (is it on the door or the inner panel?)
Then stick in the regulator collapsed so it fits in the hole.
Then get the window on the regulator.
Then bolt the regulator to the door.
Roll the window up and install the lower stop.

Some windows bolt to the regulator. If yours is a bolt-on,
Bolt in the regulator loosely, the set to the point where the regulator/window bolt align with the holes in the door. Remove the regulator.

Put the outer fuzzy on.
Stuff the window in, with the bottom stop in place.
Inner fuzzy (if it's not on the inner panel).
Bolt in the regulator and raise the window to the holes and bolt up.

The window almost always goes in at an angle, nose down, then is rotated into the front and rear guides. If one is removable, it's best to get the window into position, then bolt it in loosely.

Then it's the joy of adjusting the window so it fits and seals. You did lube everything, right?

One of those big suction cups use for bodywork or glass installs is useful...It will keep the window up as needed.

Re: Proper Order to Reassemble Door/Window Reg [Re: Paul] #1396088
03/07/13 01:21 PM
03/07/13 01:21 PM
North Carolina
cjskotni Offline OP
pro stock
cjskotni  Offline OP
pro stock

North Carolina
The window has 4 inserts where it screws to the regulator piece that slides up and down the track on each side.

I had to work throgth the holes in the door panel to unfasten the window and remove it first as the whole assembly would never fit.

My question now seems is how do I install the fuzzies? I am assuming I can only do the outer one as it screws into the door itself (on top of the door molgins) and I don't see how I could reach the screws once the glass is installed...

The inners must fasten to the inside door panel itself as there are no holes/clips to fasten the inner fuzzies to the door. I guess these can go one when I do the inside panels.

I was just hoping there was somebody here who had done this before and could point me in the right direction so I don't waste a ton of time and more importantly, mar up my new AMD glass. :-(