02/25/13 06:35 PM
02/25/13 06:35 PM
Southwestern Ontario Canada
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

A friend of mine shows me his new Holley HP 80514 carb. He bought it second hand new. You know the deal. He is green and it looked pretty. It has these Percy adjust a jet metering plates on it, and all the related hardware to "make it work". That means new arms for the accelerator pumps that are long enough due to the extra plate. It is supposed to have 30 and 50 cc pumps. To make it worse, the front pump has a 50 cc cover and a 30 cc arm with a 1/4" or more of no adjustment possible.

This thing binds and binds at the accelerator pump. The idea looks good, but I think it is junk. I want to put jets in it and convert the pumps back to stock. It has annualar boosters and is a dp 1000 cfm carb, (1st generation).

Any experience with these things, before I try to convince him on how to salvage his investment?

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!
Re: Percy's adjust a jet metering plate? [Re: racealittle] #1393481
02/25/13 06:53 PM
02/25/13 06:53 PM
Northern Indiana
Dunnuck Racing Offline
master
Dunnuck Racing  Offline
master

Northern Indiana
It sounds like he just has the wrong diaphragm and / or pump arms in the correct places.
I know a racer that used a st of Percy adjust a jets and loved them. Thought about trying a set on one of my dyno carbs.
If you decide to eliminate them let me know. Or if you want,Ill convert it back for you. Or if your not comfortable messing with it I would more than happy to help you out.
I have a pretty good assortment of Holley stuff for spare parts if you need something.
Keith

Re: Percy's adjust a jet metering plate? [Re: Dunnuck Racing] #1393482
02/26/13 03:44 PM
02/26/13 03:44 PM
racealittle Offline OP
pro stock
racealittle  Offline OP
pro stock

Thanks for your offer Keith.

I am competent with holley carbs. My close up vision is hit and miss. The issue turned out to be poor quality stamped accelerator pump arms that are supplied by Percy. They are longer and angled to make up for the extra plate. They are also cupped, twisted and inconsistant thickness. They would get hung up trying to go through the housing cap slot.

Some time with a hammer and file made them workable.

I don't like the 50 cc cover on the front pump with a 30 cc arm. I think matching parts is what needs to happen.

I can see the desire to have this kind of metering plate, but I am old school in my thinking. It is not my carb.

Too many cars, too many parts, too little coin, too little space to work in, too little time left to make it all happen! Update: down to one ride, still too many parts, a little more jingle in the pocket, gaining space, and it's going to happen this year!