s.w.fl
B
bonefish Offline OP
master
bonefish  Offline OP
master
B

s.w.fl
street strip app.is there a big advantage to running the fluid thru the rad.as opposed to somthing like a big B&M tranny cooler?

Re: trans cooler [Re: bonefish] #1392755
02/24/13 12:45 PM
02/24/13 12:45 PM
Lincoln Nebraska
R
RapidRobert Offline
Circle Track
RapidRobert  Offline
Circle Track
R

Lincoln Nebraska
There's a school of thought that running it thru the rad will warm the atf in cold weather & I dont remember if that was going thru the rad then the cooler then back to the trans or thru the cooler then to the rad then back to the trans. Myself I prefer to keep em seperate & use the auxially cooler only in case the rad line ever develops a leak & coolant gets into the atf (had that happen several times with older OE radiators). I've never had an issue with the trans performance from the atf being too cold tho I do idle in neutral for a minute or two plus you're not going to be hotrodding when everything is still cold . I use the largest area atf cooler that will fit

Last edited by RapidRobert; 02/24/13 01:25 PM.
Re: trans cooler [Re: bonefish] #1392756
02/24/13 01:48 PM
02/24/13 01:48 PM
Columbus, GA
Michael Ecks Offline
pro stock
Michael Ecks  Offline
pro stock

Columbus, GA
No scientific testing or anything but here is my

The stock setup through the radiator had enough of a cooling effect for the engineers. A temperature drop from the hot trans.

Running it through a second cooler provides an additional temperature drop.

Since I've never experienced antifreeze escaping into the cooler lines, I run mine through the radiator first and then to an auxiliary unit placed in front of the radiator.

Also, that is how it is done on most truck towing packages. Again, good enough for the factory engineers. Only reason I can think not to do it is if you are running very high thermostat and coolant temps that would heat the trans fluid over the temp it is leaving the transmission at.

"The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of
your thoughts" ~ Roman Emperor Marcus Aurelius