12/30/12 09:11 PM
12/30/12 09:11 PM
Lynchburg, VA
Leon441 Offline
master
Leon441  Offline
master

Lynchburg, VA
Our index races are on a Pro Tree. Takes the delay box out of most peoples equations. And you leave at the same time. Heads up index race. But, you still sandbag if you are fast. Which if you want a winning combo you need a car that can run .2-.3 under in good weather.

Career best 8.02 @ 169 at 3050# and 10" tires small block power.
Re: Index racing [Re: hemicop] #1361529
12/30/12 09:15 PM
12/30/12 09:15 PM
MI, usa
dvw Offline
master
dvw  Offline
master

MI, usa
Quote:

So the "secret" to index racing is sandbagging! Gee, that's alot of fun! I've raced S/ST, S/G & S/C, and None of it was much fun to say nothing of the cars that wrecked when guys tried to hammer the brakes so as not to break-out.
Nope, still haven't shown me where being a given e.t. then being punished (aka losing) for doing just what racing IS, is all that much fun...

I don't think you understood. The car would run the index with-in .01 without the brakes. Any bracket racer that can't drive the finish line doesn't go very far. I'd love to run heads up, just can't afford it. Heck I'm in over my head now if I break something. I've raced heads up as well. Tell me how much fun it is to line up next to a car that's .5 faster than you?
Doug

Re: Index racing [Re: oldtimer5151] #1361530
12/30/12 09:30 PM
12/30/12 09:30 PM
San Diego CA
65 Hemi Offline OP
super stock
65 Hemi  Offline OP
super stock

San Diego CA
Quote:

Are electronics,throttle stops, etc. allowed in North Star?

This year in Oklahoma and maybe Denton they are going to have index racing with no electronics.

Re: Index racing [Re: slantzilla] #1361531
12/30/12 09:43 PM
12/30/12 09:43 PM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

You guys do realize index racing is just a bracket race that someone picks your dial for you, right?

Except as I stated early you leave at the same time and race pretty much door handle too door handle all the way down. I like it a lot better then racing a lot faster or slower car.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Index racing [Re: 1967dartgt] #1361532
12/30/12 10:18 PM
12/30/12 10:18 PM
Az
Crizila Offline
master
Crizila  Offline
master

Az
Quote:

Quote:

You guys do realize index racing is just a bracket race that someone picks your dial for you, right?

Except as I stated early you leave at the same time and race pretty much door handle too door handle all the way down. I like it a lot better then racing a lot faster or slower car.

Back in the 60's index racing was called bracket racing and the divisions were usually 3/4 of a second ( 11.75 to 12.50, etc.) If you could run somewhere within .25 of the breakout, you were usually competitive. Today, you better be within .03. I like to go as fast as I can when I'm a the track, which is why I perfer todays "you dial it" bracket racing.

Fastest 300
Re: Index racing [Re: dvw] #1361533
12/30/12 11:20 PM
12/30/12 11:20 PM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

Quote:

So the "secret" to index racing is sandbagging! Gee, that's alot of fun! I've raced S/ST, S/G & S/C, and None of it was much fun to say nothing of the cars that wrecked when guys tried to hammer the brakes so as not to break-out.
Nope, still haven't shown me where being a given e.t. then being punished (aka losing) for doing just what racing IS, is all that much fun...

I don't think you understood. The car would run the index with-in .01 without the brakes. Any bracket racer that can't drive the finish line doesn't go very far. I'd love to run heads up, just can't afford it. Heck I'm in over my head now if I break something. I've raced heads up as well. Tell me how much fun it is to line up next to a car that's .5 faster than you?
Doug

A very good point. The problem, & NHRA won't do anything about it,is that you have guys running S/C cars in S/ST ( for example) & you're now stuck with running a 150+mph car that can literally crawl down the track until the last possible second then fly by you (while you're WOT) at 150+ or more & he "wins"?!?!?! . I can't see that as much fun, either. I've been on both sides of that "fence" & it's none too gratifying.
IMO, perhaps the best thing to do is what "crizilla" mentioned & cut the brackets down to within .50 of each other, eliminate ALL electronics & limit the mph. That would make it more affordable, more dependent on the driver & eliminate (for the most part) cars that greatly out-class their competitors...

Re: Index racing [Re: hemicop] #1361534
12/31/12 12:09 AM
12/31/12 12:09 AM
Hilltown Pa
1967dartgt Offline
master
1967dartgt  Offline
master

Hilltown Pa
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Doug

A very good point. The problem, & NHRA won't do anything about it,is that you have guys running S/C cars in S/ST ( for example) & you're now stuck with running a 150+mph car that can literally crawl down the track until the last possible second then fly by you (while you're WOT) at 150+ or more & he "wins"?!?!?! . I can't see that as much fun, either. I've been on both sides of that "fence" & it's none too gratifying.
IMO, perhaps the best thing to do is what "crizilla" mentioned & cut the brackets down to within .50 of each other, eliminate ALL electronics & limit the mph. That would make it more affordable, more dependent on the driver & eliminate (for the most part) cars that greatly out-class their competitors...

Or just go index racing were you race cars of the same et and no electronics.

Brett Miller W9 cnc'd heads
STR Chassis fabraction
Re: Index racing [Re: 1967dartgt] #1361535
12/31/12 12:13 AM
12/31/12 12:13 AM
S.E. South Dakota !
bigdad Offline
Still Posting A Lot
bigdad  Offline
Still Posting A Lot

S.E. South Dakota !

The lips of fools bring them strife, and their mouths invite a beating.Proverbs 18:6
Re: Index racing [Re: Eric] #1361536
12/31/12 12:22 AM
12/31/12 12:22 AM
Lehigh Acres, Florida
rickstershemi Offline
master
rickstershemi  Offline
master

Lehigh Acres, Florida
Quote:

I race the easy stuff...S/R S/G....heck all I do is show up and collect cash and a trophy...the car does the rest...

So Easy a Cave Man can do it.....right Eric....lol

Rickster

Re: Index racing [Re: hemicop] #1361537
12/31/12 12:52 AM
12/31/12 12:52 AM
Romeo MI
MR_P_BODY Offline
Master
MR_P_BODY  Offline
Master

Romeo MI
Quote:

You better stick with your T&T... then you'll be happy

Re: Index racing [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1361538
12/31/12 12:26 PM
12/31/12 12:26 PM
Texas
dannysbee Offline
master
dannysbee  Offline
master

Texas
I have done some index racing and I thought it was a real hoot. I tried to tune the car to run the number. That way I didn't have to do so much thinking at the finish line. Puts a little more pressure on you at the starting line but it is the way I like to race.

The other advantage of index racing is it is fun for the spectator to watch and does a much better job of filling the stands.

Getting old just means you were smarter than some and luckier than others.
Re: Index racing [Re: MR_P_BODY] #1361539
12/31/12 12:32 PM
12/31/12 12:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

You want pictures.

If you are going to index race. Get a vehicle that shortens the track 22 inches.

A day in GA that was so cold that it made MR P-Body feel right at home.

Re: Index racing [Re: ] #1361540
12/31/12 12:52 PM
12/31/12 12:52 PM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
Well I am another one of those .90 racers. It is amazing how easy it is. Just punch in some numbers show up and collect the monies and trophies.

Oh wait I get the double dung fling. I also have one of those "fast" cars so Mr Hemicop must really love me

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Index racing [Re: ] #1361541
12/31/12 12:56 PM
12/31/12 12:56 PM
Alexandria, LA
B
Blucuda413 Offline
master
Blucuda413  Offline
master
B

Alexandria, LA
There's some talk of having a little series in the North Louisiana area with about 4 index classes. One thing that may make this different is that throttle stops will be allowed. That will create some very close races.

Re: Index racing [Re: Leon441] #1361542
12/31/12 01:59 PM
12/31/12 01:59 PM
off the grid
340B5 Offline
pro stock
340B5  Offline
pro stock

off the grid
Quote:

Our index races are on a Pro Tree. Takes the delay box out of most peoples equations. And you leave at the same time. Heads up index race. But, you still sandbag if you are fast. Which if you want a winning combo you need a car that can run .2-.3 under in good weather.

Exactly that: Much more than a couple tenths under and it gets hard to judge at the other end.(for me)

I love pro tree!

Yeah, it's got a smallblock.
Re: Index racing [Re: Blucuda413] #1361543
12/31/12 02:18 PM
12/31/12 02:18 PM
Brookeville, Md
Mr.Yuck Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet
Mr.Yuck  Offline
Not enough dumb comments...yet

Brookeville, Md
everytime I look into it it seems I'm either to slow or too fast for a class. I missed 7.50 1/8 and an 11.50 by a day. Those I could manage, but it seems when I show up all they run are 6.0/6.50 1/8 and 10.50 1/4. Oh well maybe next year w/ the NO2....

[IMG]http://i66.tinypic.com/pui5j.jpg[/IMG]
Coming soon!!!!
Re: Index racing [Re: 65 Hemi] #1361544
12/31/12 03:47 PM
12/31/12 03:47 PM
OH
T
TheBlackCar Offline
enthusiast
TheBlackCar  Offline
enthusiast
T

OH
First, gotta make the car react. Work on reaction time, because the person with the best reaction "should" win. Or, it is his/her race to lose.
Next, know what it takes to run the number.

Now, know what it takes to make the race look different and still run the number. (spot drop)
You will know most of the time who left first, and if it wasn't you all you can do is follow the other guy down the track and hope he screws up. OR, you can make the race look different by blowing by him early and dropping him later, and hopefully pushing him out. Because if he tree'd you, the only ways you can win is if he goes under, gives it back or can't cover.
Even if you dont play games, you need to recognize when someone is doing it to you. And if bottles are allowed, don't bail on someone too soon.
Just some things to think about, seat time will help. Get out there and have some fun.

Re: Index racing [Re: Al_Alguire] #1361545
01/01/13 03:53 AM
01/01/13 03:53 AM
Phoenix,Az.
H
hemicop Offline
super stock
hemicop  Offline
super stock
H

Phoenix,Az.
Quote:

Well I am another one of those .90 racers. It is amazing how easy it is. Just punch in some numbers show up and collect the monies and trophies.

Oh wait I get the double dung fling. I also have one of those "fast" cars so Mr Hemicop must really love me

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen you run in Vegas & am impressed by your car. My gripe about index racing is what's been said for decades----why build a fast car when you get penalized for it? My S/C Altered is a "fast" (your quotes) car & I really don't like sitting for 2,3, or more seconds waiting for my light then have to worry about breaking out or him dynamiting the brakes & possibly causing a wreck. Modern electronics takes the driver out of the equation, to a point, so why would I want to run all of THAT stuff? Yes, my car has a throttle-stop on it (I've disconnected it) but that's it as far as "electrics" go. I've resigned myself to running nostalgia stuff or the occassional grudge type stuff against friends. I just think we (racers) have given up too much to technology.....

Re: Index racing [Re: hemicop] #1361546
01/01/13 04:32 AM
01/01/13 04:32 AM
Las Vegas
Al_Alguire Offline
I Live Here
Al_Alguire  Offline
I Live Here

Las Vegas
I disagree on the electronics part. From my experience it is just not the case. They just become one more variable that can end up costing you a race by missing something.

i have a number of freinds and customers that run the .60 stuff out here. They are doing the same as many .90 guys. They have cars that are capable of going well under the index and generally are holding a good deal. Since some of the santioning bodies out here allow them many use a power adder for the MPH as well in the faster classes. many of those same guys also run boxes/stops in the brackets and .90 stuff as well in the same car.

I have heard the arguement many times that electronics takes the driver out of the equation. It is an age old debate. A good driver is a good driver period. Adding electronics does not make one good period. You either can drive a racecar or cant. There is no "magic" box that makes you a better driver.

Then there is the I dont like elctronics. Yet many of those guys, at least the ones I know love to complain that the non electronic brackets paying less than the electronic stuff. My answer has always been put in a box and come take the money. Entry is usually the same at a local bracket deal and most tracks especially out here pay much beter in the electronics classes.

I do understand not wanting to be on the stop forever, or at all. it is not for everyone and IMO is a highly competitive form of racing. But there is no rule saying you have to. Just a matter of how you choose to race that given index. Slow, in the middle or fast, your option.

As for bombing the brakes. I think you will find that most EVERYONE who has a good deal of success in any bracket is doing this. I know of people who think well I will kill the tree and run the number and will win. Well I think we both know that dont work so well. As previously pointed out here making the race look different to the opponent will throw doubt into most racers minds.

Thn there are the guys who always do the same thing. Another tactic that just dont work for long. Once people figure out your habits you will be very beatable. I chagne things up all the time. Dial honest, dial under by a bit, by a bunch or even dial over. They all work, provided you are consistent and your car is dialable and repeatable and you can trust it. Thing is the other guy never knows what you are doing that way. At the Sportsnationals for instance I actually dialed substantially over the number. Knowing my two opponents in those rounds overwhelming tendancy to hold a fair amount and the fact that I held as well in our previous encounters. I chose to hit the tree and run it out. All this info goes in my logbook.

I am a firm believer that if you are going to be running in index stuff and want to be succesful the best weapon to have is knowledge. Knowledge of conditions, your car, yourself, and most importantly your opponent. Knowledge is KING in index racing.

"I am not ashamed to confess I am ignorant of what I do not know."

"It's never wrong to do the right thing"
Re: Index racing [Re: hemicop] #1361547
01/01/13 11:41 AM
01/01/13 11:41 AM
communist bloc of new jersey
J
jamesc Offline
master
jamesc  Offline
master
J

communist bloc of new jersey
Quote:

Quote:

Believe it or not, I HAVE seen you run in Vegas & am impressed by your car. My gripe about index racing is what's been said for decades----why build a fast car when you get penalized for it? My S/C Altered is a "fast" (your quotes) car & I really don't like sitting for 2,3, or more seconds waiting for my light then have to worry about breaking out or him dynamiting the brakes & possibly causing a wreck. Modern electronics takes the driver out of the equation, to a point, so why would I want to run all of THAT stuff? Yes, my car has a throttle-stop on it (I've disconnected it) but that's it as far as "electrics" go. I've resigned myself to running nostalgia stuff or the occassional grudge type stuff against friends. I just think we (racers) have given up too much to technology.....

there are two types of drag racing, bracket and heads up. being you clearly don't like bracket racing tell us about your heads up car and how it fares against the competition

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3