B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

Time to replace the tires on my open car trailer. I need to make a few trips from Columbus Georgia to NC (Fayetteville/aka Fayette-Nam) this summer hauling cars before I get sent to Korea for a few years.

Anyway, it's a tandem axle trailer with brakes on one axle, heavy duty deal purchased new in Texas (Shirley Equipment in Longview) in 2007 or so. I've hauled stuff all over the country with it and the current off brand passenger tires that came on it ("Cyclone Touring A/S 235/75/15 M+S") are getting old and bald.

When looking at LT tires, it appears that the Michelin XPS ribs are highly rated, but I don't want to put $1,200 worth of tires on a $1,000 trailer. BF Goodrich commercial tires are a bit better - looks like I can get something E rated for maybe $160 each.

As for ST (trailer specific tires), I'm looking at:

Goodyear Marathon, 225/75/15 D (2540 lbs at 65 psi), $125 each + shipping + mount and balance from tirerack.com

Carlisle 225/75/15 D, $119 each + $17 mount and balance from Pep Boys. They also make an E (2830 lbs at 80 psi) in this size.

Kenda Loadstar 225/75/15 D, $90 each + $17 mount and balance from Pep Boys.

I see some folks recommend bias ply tires as well, but not sure what the pros and cons are there.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the Carlisles with the E load rating, but I don't think my wheels are rated for 2,830 lbs or 80 psi.

Anyone have thoughts or recommendations?

BTW - here's a pic of the trailer (sorry for the AMC content!)

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Trailer Tires, ST, LT, or Bias Ply? [Re: bulletpruf] #1354896
12/18/12 12:09 PM
12/18/12 12:09 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
I'd go for the Goodyear ST trailer tires and last for me would be the Carlisles.

Re: Trailer Tires, ST, LT, or Bias Ply? [Re: bulletpruf] #1354897
12/18/12 12:25 PM
12/18/12 12:25 PM
Anderson, IN
1969RR Offline
super stock
1969RR  Offline
super stock

Anderson, IN
Hello! I've sold tires (I own a tire store) for 35 years. I'd recommend going with a ST (Special Trailer) tire. I've sold Carlisle trailer tires for many years. For sure go with a radial tire. Runs cooler, easier to pull, last longer. "E" (10 ply) tires would be plenty. You do not need to run the max of 80psi in the tires. That is just to get your max load carrying capacity. Just remember, the less pressure, the less load carrying capacity. Your wheels will work just fine. Be sure to use a high pressure, brass type valve stem, not the usual rubber stem. Trailer tires have a different sidewall construction, so I would not use a "P" metric or an "LT" tire. They will work, but not the correct application. To give you an idea of $$, we sell the ST225/75R15 Carlisle "E" for $134.99 installed, balanced. Hope this helps! Jeff

Re: Trailer Tires, ST, LT, or Bias Ply? [Re: 1969RR] #1354898
12/18/12 01:12 PM
12/18/12 01:12 PM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Challenger 1 Offline
Too Many Posts
Challenger 1  Offline
Too Many Posts

Cincinnati, Ohio
Quote:

Hello! I've sold tires (I own a tire store) for 35 years. I'd recommend going with a ST (Special Trailer) tire. I've sold Carlisle trailer tires for many years. For sure go with a radial tire. Runs cooler, easier to pull, last longer. "E" (10 ply) tires would be plenty. You do not need to run the max of 80psi in the tires. That is just to get your max load carrying capacity. Just remember, the less pressure, the less load carrying capacity. Your wheels will work just fine. Be sure to use a high pressure, brass type valve stem, not the usual rubber stem. Trailer tires have a different sidewall construction, so I would not use a "P" metric or an "LT" tire. They will work, but not the correct application. To give you an idea of $$, we sell the ST225/75R15 Carlisle "E" for $134.99 installed, balanced. Hope this helps! Jeff

I hate to badmouth carlisle tires because you and several others on the board sell and recomend them.
I had them on a boat trailer years ago and had trouble is why I steer clear of them.

I run st205 75-15" goodyears on my open trailer and have ran over 60K miles with 2 sets without any problems. I have a long sucessful history with Goodyear trailer tires under my enclosed trailers also.
I would think 225 would be plenty if not too big for a open car trailer?

Thanks for your input, always nice to hear from the pros!

Re: Trailer Tires, ST, LT, or Bias Ply? [Re: 1969RR] #1354899
12/18/12 01:13 PM
12/18/12 01:13 PM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Quote:

Thanks, Jeff. That's very helpful info! I'm going to go with the Carlisle E rated tires.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos