10/11/08 11:25 PM
10/11/08 11:25 PM
Australia
M
MisterBee Offline OP
MisterBee  Offline OP
M

Australia
Hi All, Just came across a problem with my 70 Challenger trunk hinges. I got the car back from the painters (trunk closed) - all good. Anyway I open the trunk up check everything out - looks good, then I go to close it and BANG! The torsion bar on the bottom of the hinge flicked off and scratched up the outside of the hinge.

Anyway, I open it up again to see the damage, re-set the torsion bar to check. What's happening is, as trunk lid is closed, the hinge slides across the bush to the point of it running off the edge. I checked the torsion bars for correct fitment (seems OK) and the hinges for straightness (also appears OK) but something is definately wrong. It applies to both sides but so far it's only the drivers side that comes off.

Has anyone had this problem before? What is going on? Needless to say the trunk lid remains open until the probem is solved!

Thanks

Last edited by MisterBee; 10/11/08 11:26 PM.
Re: 1970 Challenger Trunk Hinge Issue [Re: MisterBee] #135277
10/12/08 10:58 AM
10/12/08 10:58 AM
Virginia, US
R
RTDaddy Offline
super street
RTDaddy  Offline
super street
R

Virginia, US
Sounds like maybe the hinges are not far enough towards the center of the car on the pivot post. Can the serrated spring retainers for the hinges be pushed up farther onthe posts? One thing you might look at is pulling the hinges, put a nylon washer on the post, then re-installing the hinge, and push the washer up on the post far enough to center the hinge othe bushing. Just a thought.

"IF YOU'RE UNDER CONTROL, YOU AIN'T GOING FAST ENOUGH."