B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Fellas -

Trying to make some progress on my street/American Iron 71 Javelin project (500 hp aluminum headed 401, T-10, full floater 9" on composite leaf springs, stock-ish front suspension, blah, blah, blah) and could use some help. I need to finish up the engine compartment welding so I can blast/prep and paint it and install the 401/T10.

Here's the project starting point - rust free California car (mullet not included):

Piper Motorsports in Sterling, VA did the cage for the car - 1.75 x .120 DOM with a bit of 1.5 x .095 (rear X and gussets).

I didn't have Piper brace the front of the shock tower to the subframe because I didn't know exactly how much room I had. Turns out that I have plenty of room. Anyway, since I'm a rookie (I've got maybe 1 hour total welding experience, but I'm getting the hang of it), I could use some tips before I fire up my MIG (Millermatic 211).

Here's what the NASA CCR rules state: "Each mounting plate shall be no greater than one hundred (100) square inches and no greater than twelve (12) inches or less than two (2) inches on a side. Welded mounting plates shall be at least 0.080-inch thick. Plates may extend onto vertical sections of the structure. Any mounting plate may be multi-angled, but shall not exceed one hundred (100) square inches total including vertical sections. Each mounting plate should have an area of not less than nine (9) square inches."

What I'd like to do - pick up some mild steel already cut to size (I don't have a chop saw or band saw yet). Thinking 1/8", 1/4" or somewhere in between. Having a hard time getting a measurement off the current mounting plates (3" x 6") because of the welds.

I think a 3" x 6" plate would work for the front of the shock tower.

As for the subframe mount, I'll have to do a 90 degree bend and either go up or down. I'm thinking down is the hot ticket so I can weld on the subframe.

Once I get the plates welded, I can make a template of the shape for the tubing and see about getting something bent up.

Am I on the right track here? Any thoughts on plate size and placement? Tips on welding thick plates to thin sheetmetal? Tips on bending plates to fit the contours?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos
Re: Shock Tower Brace Fab/Weld Questions [Re: bulletpruf] #1351224
12/14/12 12:41 PM
12/14/12 12:41 PM
Sac, CA
M
mopowers Offline
master
mopowers  Offline
master
M

Sac, CA
For bending, use heat.

For welding the thinker stock to the sheet metal, focus the heat on the thicking stock and sort of 'wash' it is to the thinner stuff.

Looking good!

Re: Shock Tower Brace Fab/Weld Questions [Re: mopowers] #1351225
12/14/12 08:19 PM
12/14/12 08:19 PM
Sturgis S.D.
T
tripleblackcuda Offline
super stock
tripleblackcuda  Offline
super stock
T

Sturgis S.D.
What I have done to help bend the plate is use the heat of the weld you are doing and bend the plate to conform as you go. Weld a section and then take a small sledge (5lb works well for me) and pound on the plate to make it conform to the surface you are welding to.

I try to weld on the "hottest" setting possible without burning through. This ensures you have maximum bonding between the two pieces. A "S" or "Figure 8" pattern or "Weave" works well for plates too.

7503516-Extra-2.jpg (486 downloads)
Re: Shock Tower Brace Fab/Weld Questions [Re: tripleblackcuda] #1351226
12/14/12 08:24 PM
12/14/12 08:24 PM
Sturgis S.D.
T
tripleblackcuda Offline
super stock
tripleblackcuda  Offline
super stock
T

Sturgis S.D.
As far as plate thickness...1/4" is a bear to try to bend. I like 3/16" plate for heavy duty plates (subframes/rollcages) and 1/8" for everything else. You can always throw a gusset plate if you think you need more strength too.

Jeremy

Re: Shock Tower Brace Fab/Weld Questions [Re: tripleblackcuda] #1351227
12/15/12 09:50 AM
12/15/12 09:50 AM
San Antonio, Tx
B
bulletpruf Offline OP
super stock
bulletpruf  Offline OP
super stock
B

San Antonio, Tx
Thanks, fellas. Appreciate the input.

Scott

Please Check Out My YouTube Channel for Vintage Musclecar and Truck Rescues and Builds -- https://www.youtube.com/@THEBULLETPROOFGARAGE/videos