Print Thread
Steering Column Help Needed #1348004
12/08/12 06:18 PM
12/08/12 06:18 PM
Pennsylvania
73bluebird Offline OP
73bluebird  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
I am working on rebuilding my steering column and everything was going well until I could not get the steering shaft out of the column tube. The steering colum was removed from a '73 Road Runner (unknown if power or manual steering car) and is being put into the same model. I was following the instructions in the factory service manual without much difficulty. After I removed the top shaft bearing to free the shaft, the manual indicates that the shaft can now be removed from the bottom. Mine seems to be stuck inside the lower bearing or retainer (not exactly sure what this column has as I've not seen anything similar yet) and will not come out. There were two short bolts at the distal end of the steering column that appeared to hold the bushing in place, but I removed them and everything still seems to be siezed. In my efforts to try and motivate the shaft to move, I may have collapsed the shaft somewhat by accident. I already have the outer components of the steering column painted, so I am trying to be extra careful in dissassembling things to keep the paint in good condition. I have included pictures of what I'm dealing with, can somebody please tell me what the trick is to getting the lower bearing and steering shaft to come out?

Also, I am going to be using power steering, but will need to find some parts to connect the column to the power steering box. If I go with a universal shaft coupler like Flaming River sells would there be any concern with extra vibrations felt in the steering wheel? This seems to be the easiest option since I'm missing the original connecting pieces. The other option would be to try and get the parts to replace the rag joint as used by the factory. I have the soild subframe bushings from Firm Feel, so my front suspension should be pretty soild feeling. I also have a stage 2 rebuilt power steering box and will be using the quick ratio pitman and idler arms. Any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Steering Column Help Needed [Re: 73bluebird] #1348005
12/08/12 06:58 PM
12/08/12 06:58 PM
IL . usa
C
cjs69mope Offline
mopar
cjs69mope  Offline
mopar
C

IL . usa
first i have never seen a rag joint in a mopar of the year you are working on. use the correct couple for the type of car you have .
also that spring should not be there it go's inside the column.
You have rusted lower bearing to the shaft. AND
The lower bearing looks like its painted/rust stuck to the outer tube
spray with wd-40 and soak for a while you should be able to take the top outer collar off the tube and use a narrow long extension from the top side and tap out the bearing from the tube with it stuck on the shaft. Then brake the plastic off , heat the lower bearing with propane or map gas torch.
and slide it off the shaft. if necessary tap the heated bearing with chisel to get it off.

Last edited by cjs69mope; 12/08/12 07:02 PM.

1969 Dodge Charger 1969 Dodge Superbee
Re: Steering Column Help Needed [Re: cjs69mope] #1348006
12/08/12 07:15 PM
12/08/12 07:15 PM
Pennsylvania
73bluebird Offline OP
73bluebird  Offline OP

Pennsylvania
Ok, the spring was on the end of the shaft from when the column was removed from the car. There was a roll pin holding that held the spring compressed against the lower bushing. I removed (you can see the hole)the roll pin to see if that freed things up when tension was released from the spring, but it didn't really do much. Are you suggesting that this spring needs to go somewhere else? If so can you please elaborate as this is all new to me. Also, "rag joint" may be incorrect terminology on my part (again I'm learning as I go so please forgive my ignorance), the coupler was the rubber biscuit type found on the 73/74 B-bodies if that clears things up at all.

Last edited by 73bluebird; 12/08/12 07:18 PM.