10/04/08 06:28 PM
10/04/08 06:28 PM
Tampa, FL
tpabayflyer Offline OP
pro stock
tpabayflyer  Offline OP
pro stock

Tampa, FL
I had the blue pump mounted on the passenger side frame rail but with the 3" pipes I just put on it needs to be moved. With the big magnaflow muffs and 3" tube size there is no room under the car.

I have an aluminum 17 gal RCI fuel cell in the trunk and I am moving the battery to the trunk as well. I have read that the pump should be mounted below the tank but it is required?? I could probably mount it about 1/2 way up from the bottom of the cell. I am also using a return line so no deadhead and -6 line.

If I don't mount the pump below the tank am I asking for trouble?? TIA TBF

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132225
10/05/08 01:39 PM
10/05/08 01:39 PM
Tampa, FL
tpabayflyer Offline OP
pro stock
tpabayflyer  Offline OP
pro stock

Tampa, FL
I think I will move this over to the race side... TBF

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132226
10/05/08 01:44 PM
10/05/08 01:44 PM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

With the big magnaflow muffs and 3" tube size there is no room under the car.

You dont get out much then...there is tons of room.

Either on the back behind the bumper or near the cell....

4730842-DSC05066.JPG (47 downloads)
Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132227
10/05/08 02:56 PM
10/05/08 02:56 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
The pump is more of a pusher pump than a pumper. They are much more efficient with a gravity flow into the inlet side. They do not suck well.

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132228
10/05/08 07:36 PM
10/05/08 07:36 PM
Ontario, Canada
S
Stanton Online content
Don't question me!
Stanton  Online Content
Don't question me!
S

Ontario, Canada
Since the pumps are pushers rather than pullers and rely on gravity feed for the prime(as previously stated), then theoretically you should be able to mount the pump anywhere as long as its below the tank. You could even mount it on the framerail behind the front wheel !!! Gravity will always fill the void - whether its 15" of line or 15'. I think the only reason people tend to mount them in the rear is because they're more easily concealed and the noise is behind them.

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: Stanton] #132229
10/05/08 08:19 PM
10/05/08 08:19 PM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
Quote:

Since the pumps are pushers rather than pullers and rely on gravity feed for the prime(as previously stated), then theoretically you should be able to mount the pump anywhere as long as its below the tank. You could even mount it on the framerail behind the front wheel !!! Gravity will always fill the void - whether its 15" of line or 15'. I think the only reason people tend to mount them in the rear is because they're more easily concealed and the noise is behind them.

The installation instructions say to mount below the low fuel level as close to the tank/cell as possible. From the manual on the Holley site:
PUMP MOUNTING AND INSTALLATION:
The best location for mounting any electric fuel pump is the rear of the vehicle. The inlet and outlet of the pump must be
mounted below the lowest point of the tank. This is necessary to allow for an adequate fuel supply. The pump is designed to
push fuel and not designed to suck fuel out of the tank. It needs to be gravity-fed or if it’s pulling from the top of the tank, it
needs to develop a siphon feed to the pump. The pump should be mounted on the chassis, in a vertical position with the pump
motor on top. Avoid exposure of the pump and fuel lines to moving parts and to any hot areas, such as the exhaust manifold.
The pump should not be mounted in a closed area, such as the vehicle’s trunk. Follow the steps below for mounting the pump.
WARNING! THE PUMP MUST BE LOCATED SO THAT INTERFERENCE BETWEEN THE VEHICLE’S BODY AND ITS
CHASSIS MOVEMENT IS AVOIDED. THE PUMP AND ITS CONNECTING HOSES MUST NOT BE SUBJECTED
TO LOW GROUND CLEARANCE, WHERE ANY FLYING ROCKS OR ROAD DEBRIS CAN CAUSE DAMAGE.
FAILURE TO AVOID THESE HAZARDS WILL LEAD TO PUMP DAMAGE, WHICH COULD RESULT IN FIRE,
PROPERTY DAMAGE, SERIOUS INJURY, AND/OR DEATH.
1. Select a mounting site as close as possible to the fuel supply and away from possible sources of heat, as detailed
previously.
2. Use the mounting bracket (supplied) as a template and drill two clearance holes for 5/16” bolts.
3. Place the rubber gaskets (supplied) between the mounting bracket and motor housing and mount the pump in the vertical
position (motor on top) using two 5/16” bolts.
4. Connect the fuel line from the tank to the fuel filter and the filter to the inlet port of the pump. Connect the carburetor
delivery line to the outlet port of the pump. Use the same size flexible hose as original equipment. Avoid unnecessary
restrictions such as sharp bends and undersized fuel fittings and hoses. Avoid routing fuel lines in areas that would cause
chafing. All fuel line connections must be leakproof.
WARNING! DO

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132230
10/05/08 09:37 PM
10/05/08 09:37 PM
Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
dave571 Offline
master
dave571  Offline
master

Carstairs, Alberta, Canada
Quote:

I have read that the pump should be mounted below the tank but it is required??

as said, yes.

Quote:

as said, yes.

mount it lower than the tank, and as close to the tank as possible.

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132231
10/06/08 02:43 AM
10/06/08 02:43 AM
So Cal
HealthServices Offline
Why would you even post that?
HealthServices  Offline
Why would you even post that?

So Cal
Quote:

I have an aluminum 17 gal RCI fuel cell in the trunk and I am moving the battery to the trunk as well. I have read that the pump should be mounted below the tank but it is required?? I could probably mount it about 1/2 way up from the bottom of the cell. I am also using a return line so no deadhead and -6 line.

If you have the tank in the trunk anyways, just remount it higher.

Allen Here's a novel idea, let's not throw a bunch of parts at the car hoping it will fix the problem and instead spend a little time diagnosing it first. Life was a little easier when I was just a wrench.
Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: quick77rt ] #132232
10/06/08 08:49 AM
10/06/08 08:49 AM
Tampa, FL
tpabayflyer Offline OP
pro stock
tpabayflyer  Offline OP
pro stock

Tampa, FL
Great idea Quick... never thought of that. Before I put the full exhaust on, I just had dumps that ended under the rear seat. I had the pump mounted on the right side frame rail and when I mounted the full exhaust I had to move the pump because of no room.

Do you have a big block in your F-body??? If so what kind of headers are you using as I have a 451 6-pack that might find its way into into my cordoba.... TBF

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132233
10/06/08 08:55 AM
10/06/08 08:55 AM
Upper Midwest
M
MoparforLife Offline
Too Many Posts
MoparforLife  Offline
Too Many Posts
M

Upper Midwest
A point as yet unmentioned is that if you plan on racing this vehicle and for safety sake if you will also need a metal fire wall between the trunk and the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If you already do disregard this post.

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: tpabayflyer] #132234
10/06/08 09:19 AM
10/06/08 09:19 AM
Q
quick77rt Offline
Parts Problem
quick77rt  Offline
Parts Problem
Q

TBF Actually thats my stroker 410-6 2 stage spray motor ride. TTI-s

However I recently sold my 440 auto F-body...your in for a fun time, esp header wise.

Just get it right the first time, you wont want to do it twice.

If you need any info just ask. I was using hooker e body headers on the 440 ride.

Re: Holley blue pump trunk mounting question..... [Re: Stanton] #132235
10/06/08 10:17 AM
10/06/08 10:17 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Quote:

Actually, a car that can pull a ten second pass needs about 14 psi flow to the front of the car to break the force of enertia on a launch. Mounting a pusher pump close to the front of the car will starve a fast car for fuel on a hard launch. Been there, done that. If you run nitrous on this car, you're looking at a melt down on the start line. This is just me saying this, so take it how you want, but I mount them as close to fuel cell as possible with -10AN line from the cell to the pump. Then whatever size you need to run to the front of the car.